fbpack

Coach Muss his own words on P5 jobs

2 hours ago, nvspuds said:

Murray said that Rice would be a strong possibility because he is well liked in the Reno but he also said Knuth's general pattern is to hire assistants out of the Pac 12.  That is what he did when he hired Muss.  Almost all of his coaching hires have followed that trend.  If Muss leaves I would be surprised if Rice got the gig.  

He mentioned that yesterday too, he said get Knuth would open it up and take a look, but that there was a very strong possibility he would hire rice. 

and I'm just passing along what he said, btw..

49 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

Local Radio guy just said he got a text from a source saying Nevada has a million dollar extension on the table and that it's a 50/50 chance he stays. (Take with a grain of salt) Sounds reasonable to me, right job opens he's gone but still has a good thing here going.

Edit: The million dollar offer isn't surprising either, David Carters contract comes off the books as we were still paying him, he was an "unpaid assistant " at St Mary's. 

This is true. He also has a couple of $1.4 million dollar offers in his hand from back East. I believe him when he says he likes being close to his sons in Sacramento and San Diego. If the right West coast program came calling, I think he's gone.

I also believe he's going to get his $1 million extension. Carter's buyout payments end after this season, that frees up about $300,000/year, and boosters are putting together a package to get him up to $1 million base.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

He mentioned that yesterday too, he said get Knuth would open it up and take a look, but that there was a very strong possibility he would hire rice. 

and I'm just passing along what he said, btw..

He said more than just what you posted. Rice was a Muss hire. Knuth has a nice track record when it comes to how he hires coaches. Rice is far from a sure thing. 

As a fan, I'd be extremely bummed if we lost him after this season. As a rational thinker, I completely understand the struggles he faces as a mid-major coach of getting no respect for OOC scheduling and going 28-6 and still having to win the conference tournament to make the big dance. If we can keep Muss for just one more year, I'll be a very happy guy. 

55 minutes ago, BackthePack said:

As a fan, I'd be extremely bummed if we lost him after this season. As a rational thinker, I completely understand the struggles he faces as a mid-major coach of getting no respect for OOC scheduling and going 28-6 and still having to win the conference tournament to make the big dance. If we can keep Muss for just one more year, I'll be a very happy guy. 

Start winning games in the tournament.  Then you'll get home and homes.

6 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I agree with you. This is one UNLV fan who thinks your AD is smarter than that. At least at this time. One thing to watch with Rice is his ability to ingratiate himself with power brokers (big boosters, AD staff, Regents). The longer he stays on staff at UNR, the more likely he ends up your HC someday. I also think he will try to stay with the program rather than move with Muss.

Phuck.  I could see him weasel his way into a HC job.  It may not be likely, but the possibility cannot be dismissed. 

• Like 1

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

7 hours ago, bigd said:

Rice and Muss definitely complement each other well, but I was just reading an article from a few months ago about how Rice definitely wants another HC gig in the future. 

I really have no idea what to expect with Muss leaving, and whether Rice will replace him when he does. It will be interesting to see.

I know I'm greatly in the minority but I wouldn't mind seeing Rice take over.

7 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I'd rather have Trent come back and retain DR as associate HC.

I'd rather Carter were rehired than Rice given the job.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

22 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I'd rather Carter were rehired than Rice given the job.

Nah. Rice would lose with better players. 

Although you have to admit it would be fun to see him sweep UNLV. Maybe we could give him a one year deal and then move him to the administrative side of athletics, which I sincerely believe is something he'd be quite good at doing. 

Barack Obama

7 hours ago, cardrater said:

When Muss was hired he said he wanted to make Reno his final destination in terms of coaching. Hopefully he still thinks that way.

Chris Bird said that UNLV was a destination job before he bolted a week later.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nvspuds said:

He said more than just what you posted. Rice was a Muss hire. Knuth has a nice track record when it comes to how he hires coaches. Rice is far from a sure thing. 

Rice might be a nice guy but Knuth's job is to find the best coach for the program.  Rice doesn't have a very good resume as a head coach.  Unless Rice can convince Knuth that he's learned from the experience but that's a big risk.  I would be very disappointed & shocked if Rice became our coach. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

The only way to take Musselman at his word is if there are consequences for him leaving (there aren't).  If he had to pay $1 million of his own money to leave UNR, then his word would mean a lot more.

Believe it or not, some people actually mean what they say.  

Barack Obama