fbpack

Coach Muss his own words on P5 jobs

6 hours ago, slappy said:

It cracks me up that Vegas folks love to give Rice grief when as soon as he leaves they are the worse team in the MW and will be again next year.  No matter how hard you spin it, last place is a big red flag. Rice would never allowed that under his watch.  Do I think you can get better? Maybe?  Is Menzies better?  Hell no. He belongs in the WAC 

ok, ok...

let me guess, you were living in a cave last spring and missed the clown show that put us here? from the moment rice was fired in january to the 3 mos it took to get his replacement is what put us in last place. rice had the rebs in 7th his last two years, even with all the talent that rolled through here. but 7th is much better than 11th, right? i'll answer that for you, no, it isn't.

i don't know if menzies will ultimately be successful at unlv, (he was #47 on my list, btw) but i guarantee you none of this is his fault, he had ONE player this year that saw the court last year and had to scramble to even fill a roster.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

ok, ok...

let me guess, you were living in a cave last spring and missed the clown show that put us here? from the moment rice was fired in january to the 3 mos it took to get his replacement is what put us in last place. rice had the rebs in 7th his last two years, even with all the talent that rolled through here. but 7th is much better than 11th, right? i'll answer that for you, no, it isn't.

i don't know if menzies will ultimately be successful at unlv, (he was #47 on my list, btw) but i guarantee you none of this is his fault, he had ONE player this year that saw the court last year and had to scramble to even fill a roster.

It just goes to show that it all starts with a good AD to have success. Even if an ad AD gets lucky with a good hire, they'll find a way to screw up and alienate the good coach into leaving. 

kat.jpg

I think we'll have Muss through at least next year. He's going to get a restructured contract to make more money, and he knows he'll have the weapons on the roster even with some of the starters graduating/declaring for the draft. 

I will say this to fellow MWC fans, if we want this conference to be more than a one-bid league then we should all be hoping all the talent in the world sticks around and doesn't leave. We're on the upswing as a conference, the worst thing that can happen is to have turnover and even more rebuilding years again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Maybe one day UNR won't be a starter job.

If by "starter" you mean stepping stone, every program in the league is a stepping stone job. That won't be changing anytime soon. 

Vegas lifted their shirt up for everyone but couldn't get an established coach to give them a sniff. And they were a laughing stock during the entire process, especially when Beard dumped them for TX Tech after a week or so.

Only an idiot would bash the first place program when his program is the worst team in a one bid league, is 5 mil in the red and went through a coaching search that was an embarrassment to the entire conference.  

99% of Vegas fans get this just as they understood Rice had to go no matter how well he recruited. You were the one lone, stubbornly stupid, holdout, defending your boy until the end.

You really should just read more and post less. It's clear to all that you are a slow learner, but this stuff isn't all that complicated.  If you'd just shut up and listen, you might learn a thing or two about mid major basketball. Perhaps then you could contribute to a conversation without putting your foot in your mouth. 

• Like 1

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, BackthePack said:

I think we'll have Muss through at least next year. He's going to get a restructured contract to make more money, and he knows he'll have the weapons on the roster even with some of the starters graduating/declaring for the draft. 

I will say this to fellow MWC fans, if we want this conference to be more than a one-bid league then we should all be hoping all the talent in the world sticks around and doesn't leave. We're on the upswing as a conference, the worst thing that can happen is to have turnover and even more rebuilding years again.

i'm sorry, but this is the worst this conference has ever been. it's been a slow decline since rice and then neal were hired, and now even the aztecs have declined. YOUR program may be on the upswing, and i'm glad for you, but we all have a lot of work to do.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

i'm sorry, but this is the worst this conference has ever been. it's been a slow decline since rice and then neal were hired, and now even the aztecs have declined. YOUR program may be on the upswing, and i'm glad for you, but we all have a lot of work to do.

Disagree… The conference as a whole improved over last year which was the worst it's ever been. This year we had six teams in the top 100 RPI. And last year San Diego State only had three top 100 wins and that was even after going 16 and 2  in conferenc. Colorado state, Boise State, and San Jose State exceeded expectations  and Nevada tallied 10 top 100 wins. Many of the teams here in the Mountain West conference are young and should improve next year too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cardrater said:

Disagree… The conference as a whole improved over last year which was the worst it's ever been. This year we had six teams in the top 100 RPI. And last year San Diego State only had three top 100 wins and that was even after going 16 and 2  in conferenc. Colorado state, Boise State, and San Jose State exceeded expectations  and Nevada tallied 10 top 100 wins. Many of the teams here in the Mountain West conference are young and should improve next year too.

you may have noticed we are a 1 bid conference for two years running? down from 5 just about 3 years ago? no one has any respect for the MW now.

14 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

you may have noticed we are a 1 bid conference for two years running? down from 5 just about 3 years ago? no one has any respect for the MW now.

Leave it to the Debbie downer Rebels to see nothing but gray skies and the glass half empty. No where did we state we are back at the pinnacle of the conference existence. Just as cardrater stated, many teams exceeded expectations this year and show promise moving forward. Just because the perennial BB teams struggled doesn't mean the facts are wrong. 

12 hours ago, slappy said:

It cracks me up that Vegas folks love to give Rice grief when as soon as he leaves they are the worse team in the MW and will be again next year.  No matter how hard you spin it, last place is a big red flag. Rice would never allowed that under his watch.  Do I think you can get better? Maybe?  Is Menzies better?  Hell no. He belongs in the WAC 

That's the way Rice was trending had he been retained. I have no doubt unlv would have continued to fall down the ladder in conference.

So you say the rebels will be the worse team next year (another 11th place finish)? Sig/Avi bet? Rebels finish last place, you win. Anything better than that, I win. 

Nevada is on the upswing, I think Colorado St is going to continue their upswing, San Diego St was inconsistant but they have pieces in place for next year, San Jose St showed promise this year, Wyoming didn't do to bad either and even with the the badmouthing people did New Mexico was there even though inconsistant. Boise has also been very solid, but what catches people's attention is big OOC wins and that is what is lacking from MWC. 

This conference doesn't revolve around San Diego St, New Mexico and UNLV, sorry folks but it doesn't, and I believe last year this conference was actually worse than it was this year. And I believe the conference will be better next year again.

1 minute ago, BleedRed702 said:

That's the way Rice was trending had he been retained. I have no doubt unlv would have continued to fall down the ladder in conference.

So you say the rebels will be the worse team next year (another 11th place finish)? Sig/Avi bet? Rebels finish last place, you win. Anything better than that, I win. 

I think Air Force and UNLV will fight for last place.

2 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

I don't see UNLV being in last next year

16 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Nevada is on the upswing, I think Colorado St is going to continue their upswing, San Diego St was inconsistant but they have pieces in place for next year, San Jose St showed promise this year, Wyoming didn't do to bad either and even with the the badmouthing people did New Mexico was there even though inconsistant. Boise has also been very solid, but what catches people's attention is big OOC wins and that is what is lacking from MWC. 

This conference doesn't revolve around San Diego St, New Mexico and UNLV, sorry folks but it doesn't, and I believe last year this conference was actually worse than it was this year. And I believe the conference will be better next year again.

It used to, but for better or worse,  we are in the process of a changing of the guard. 

Hopefully, next season we can get more than one team into the dance and a couple into the NIT. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It used to, but for better or worse,  we are in the process of a changing of the guard. 

Hopefully, next season we can get more than one team into the dance and a couple into the NIT. 

I think we are going to get two into the NIT

the MWC isn't on an upswing. We were #1 in RPI like 4 years ago, now we getitng 1 bid for back to back teams. Sure, we have several solid teams, but what good does that they so if they can't win in the dance?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?