namssa

MW considers cutting the TV cord

11 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

I still see a digital / streaming only platform as a surrender flag, as I don't see any MWC programs making any decent $$$

I thinks it's innovative.  The landscape is changing, tv ratings are declining across the board because of streaming services. Back in the day a 2.0 rating in the 16-36( not exactly sure the age range) demographic would get a show cancelled.  Now it is the norm. Let's be proactive for once instead of reactive. 

Just now, TheJackel said:

I thinks it's innovative.  The landscape is changing, tv ratings are declining across the board because of streaming services. Back in the day a 2.0 rating in the 16-36( not exactly sure the age range) demographic would get a show cancelled.  Now it is the norm. Let's be proactive for once instead of reactive. 

It's better to stream than to not be seen..........but the stark reality is the MWC isn't exactly a money making machine & streaming will bring in cents on the dollar compared to TV.

Basically in FB the MWC is BSU as ESPN's Thursday or Friday night filler & the rest of the conference gets occasional TV games with the majority on the MWC digital network - The MWC makes a pittance under that set up.........if more games go to streaming, then revenue sinks. It could be a revenue nightmare for the MWC, where schools go from a million something to literally a hundred thousand something 

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

There isn't enough going on to justify having a 24/7 network devoted strictly to this conference. The Mtn. proved that.

However, check this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_Sports

Although Root Sports is headquartered in San Francisco, there is no Root Sports regional network which serves California and Nevada despite the millions of people living in the two states. And WCC basketball is broadcast on Root Sports Rocky Mountain. Given the composition of the WCC, THAT makes a lot of sense.

So rather than considering streaming all MWC content, if Craig Thompson was actually a leader, he would be contacting Root Sports to explore the possibility of creation of a far west network. Move WCC hoops to that network. Maybe consider buying out the network that University of Hawaii sports are broadcast over. Maybe consider talking to the BigWest moving there as well. It's a lousy conference otherwise but has solid baseball which the MWC doesn't so could provide some quality programming in the springtime.

I admit I'm just thinking out of the box but does Thompson ever do that anymore? Seems to me that for the last 7-8 years he's been fat and happy doing next to nothing while collecting his salary of north of 600 grand.

Sports networks are why people are cutting the cord.  You think making a new boutique sports network with very limited national appeal is the way to go forward?  It sounds like throwing good money after bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slappy said:

It all comes down to finances and commitment.  I really have nothing against other universities, but during the last couple rounds of realignment we now have a mixed bag of universities.  I agree with your post above stating that a split should happen.  we should consider moving teams out of this conference if they can't compete financially or on the field.  This last  few rounds of replacements have really hurt us. 

Besides SJSU, who?  Or do you mean the losses?  The additions have worked out, by and large. Hawai'i has a side deal for revenue and also pays travel subs, so they're not a net negative.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

I still see a digital / streaming only platform as a surrender flag, as I don't see any MWC programs making any decent $$$

I don't think you understand the potential number of revenue streams from such a model as well as the advantage of eliminating a middle man and freeing up revenue.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 minute ago, Wyovanian said:

I don't think you understand the potential number of revenue streams from such a model as well as the advantage of eliminating a middle man and freeing up revenue.

And I don't think there are enough MWC fans that would pay for streaming or advertisers who would pony up $$ for streaming ads 

If the MWC had any kind of draw, we'd have a better TV deal and the mtn. channel would still be around.

2 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

Besides SJSU, who?  Or do you mean the losses?  The additions have worked out, by and large. Hawai'i has a side deal for revenue and also pays travel subs, so they're not a net negative.

Yep both losses and our additions.   I think your being kind with Hawaii.  When you add SJ and Hawaii football to the all time losing football program out west ( Unlv ) our conference really suffers in football.   Add in the loss of Tcu , Utah and we are all frustrated.  

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

It's better to stream than to not be seen..........but the stark reality is the MWC isn't exactly a money making machine & streaming will bring in cents on the dollar compared to TV.

Basically in FB the MWC is BSU as ESPN's Thursday or Friday night filler & the rest of the conference gets occasional TV games with the majority on the MWC digital network - The MWC makes a pittance under that set up.........if more games go to streaming, then revenue sinks. It could be a revenue nightmare for the MWC, where schools go from a million something to literally a hundred thousand something 

No one is saying forego TV altogether. They're saying we should use the increasing leverage of internet platforms against the networks when it comes to new contracts. Based on what's happening with ESPN (along with broadcast TV in general), we're headed (along with everyone else) to lower contracts anyway. TV nets are in a weakened position that is only going to grow weaker. The MW and its member schools now need to start with paywall and ad-supported models...

Time to innovate or die...

• Like 1

Just now, slappy said:

Yep both losses and our additions.   I think your being kind with Hawaii.  When you add SJ and Hawaii football to the all time losing football program out west ( Unlv ) our conference really suffers in football.   Add in the loss of Tcu , Utah and we are all frustrated.  

If you're talking quality of football play, I guess, but I thought we were talking about availability of the games on TV/internet, and secondarily, about money for that content.

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

And I don't think there are enough MWC fans that would pay for streaming or advertisers who would pony up $$ for streaming ads 

If the MWC had any kind of draw, we'd have a better TV deal and the mtn. channel would still be around.

Apples to satellite antennae...

1 minute ago, Wyovanian said:

No one is saying forego TV altogether. They're saying we should use the increasing leverage of internet platforms against the networks when it comes to new contracts. Based on what's happening with ESPN (along with broadcast TV in general), we're headed (along with everyone else) to lower contracts anyway. TV nets are in a weakened position that is only going to grow weaker. The MW and its member schools now need to start with paywall and ad-supported models...

Time to innovate or die...

Pretty much every game is on streaming if it isn't on CBSSN or ESPN..........even the games on ROOT are streamed - Still don't see where the MWC makes any $$ from the streaming 

5 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

If you're talking quality of football play, I guess, but I thought we were talking about availability of the games on TV/internet, and secondarily, about money for that content.

I am.  Bad football play will kill all chances at making money.  It is all tied together.  When we go to negotiate and our football quality is poor, our deal will be poor.  It is a vicious cycle.  The universities I mentioned above are not capable of the finances to compete at this level.  They are dead weight, hoping to cash in on a lucrative tv deal that will never come ( in part because they are members )   

2 minutes ago, slappy said:

I am.  Bad football play will kill all chances at making money.  It is all tied together.  When we go to negotiate and our football quality is poor, our deal will be poor.  It is a vicious cycle.  The universities I mentioned above are not capable of the finances to compete at this level.  They are dead weight, hoping to cash in on a lucrative tv deal that will never come ( in part because they are members )   

We won't get any more money by offering less content. 

11 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Pretty much every game is on streaming if it isn't on CBSSN or ESPN..........even the games on ROOT are streamed - Still don't see where the MWC makes any $$ from the streaming 

By taking some games from TV to a paywalled stream that includes ads and eliminating the middleman that is the TV networks.

• Like 1

Just now, Wyovanian said:

By taking some games from TV to a paywalled stream that includes ads and eliminating the middleman that is the TV networks.

Still don't see that as a major money maker. 

That system might work better for some schools.........like Wyoming whose fan base is spread out, I could see WYO making a few thousand on a pay stream............but for UNLV FB they'd be lucky to crack $1000.00 on any given game 

2 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

We won't get any more money by offering less content. 

I agree.  We need to leverage both and work hard on the streaming side.  Streaming is the future, if developed properly along side with standard viewing I would agree, and be happy.  There is no vision of how consumers will want to be entertained in 15 years.  It will not be in the manner we are doing it now.  Get in front of the curve and enjoy success while the others catch up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Still don't see that as a major money maker. 

That system might work better for some schools.........like Wyoming whose fan base is spread out, I could see WYO making a few thousand on a pay stream............but for UNLV FB they'd be lucky to crack $1000.00 on any given game 

Such will be the nature of how games are "televised" going forward. Basically, if this thing plays out in a very likely scenario, TV revenue across the board will drop precipitously for ALL conferences, essentially ending the "TV arms race". It will also probably weed out under-supported programs rather than continue to subsidize them. It could completely alter the landscape of College Football resulting in a blurring of divisions (so much for any difference between FCS and FBS)...

• Like 1

Just now, Wyovanian said:

Such will be the nature of how games are "televised" going forward. Basically, if this thing plays out in a very likely scenario, TV revenue across the board will drop precipitously for ALL conferences, essentially ending the "TV arms race". It will also probably weed out under-supported programs rather than continue to subsidize them. It could completely alter the landscape of College Football resulting in a blurring of divisions (so much for any difference between FCS and FBS)...

I agree that TV $$ will decline............and TV $$ will go to the few top programs and not much to lesser programs...............still in the pecking order of college sports the MWC is not a plus revenue conference and will be getting cents on the dollar vs the old TV days 

The MWC isn't the only conference that will see a major $$ decline, pretty much the entire non-P5 will see drastic declines with maybe some games being used as filler for off nights and late Eastern Time time slots.

I could see BSU FB being one of the few MWC programs to get actual TV $$ because ESPN can get them on Thursday & Friday nights - ESPN with BSU & BYU has their western, late night eastern filler games, they don't need much more................then the rest of the MWC will try to gather as many pennies as possible on some streaming system or just streaming on CI / MWC Network.

If major network TV $$ declines, the real losers could be the B10/ Pac12 networks because if the major TV outlets concentrate on the P5, those networks will lose some games & the G5 will be left to streaming from their own campus AV studio's - Major TV could fill the time slots they need with just P5 games...........they really don't need the G5 unless they want those weeknight FB games the MAC, SunBelt, BSU & BYU provide 

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

One thing that might work in UNLV's favor is what happens with the new NHL team TV - If LV can land something like Fox Sports Utah, then maybe UNLV and some regional schools could get air time.

So far I've heard nothing as to what TV deal the Golden Knights might have.........but with the NHL team as the main flagship team, UNLV FB BB BB might piggy back and even some College of Southern Nevada sports could get some spots & even the AAA baseball team gets some air time in the summer months.

You're much too optimistic. This conference is dog excrement for your school and mine and will never be anything else at least unless Hairball leaves.

Boom goes the dynamite.