Guest Dr. Dre

You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille

Guest Dr. Dre

with 4 hungry children and a stadium to be built.....

To: Members of the San Diego State community

Subject: Presidential Transition

I am writing to inform you that I have accepted the presidency of Stevenson University in Maryland effective July 1. I will end my service at San Diego State on June 30. 

The last six years have been the most extraordinary period of my and Jeri’s professional lives. The opportunity to work with the dedicated and talented students, faculty, staff, alumni and community supporters of San Diego State has inspired us, and it has been a privilege to contribute to the growth and development of this great university. We are grateful for the many friends in this community who have helped us celebrate our university’s achievements and supported us as we faced the inevitable challenges of a university presidency. These friendships have greatly enriched our lives.

It is traditional in such messages to recount the university’s recent accomplishments. We are fortunate that through the diligent efforts of our university leadership we have already documented our university’s progress in updates to our strategic plan, “Building on Excellence.” A comprehensive review is presented at the following link: http://go.sdsu.edu/strategicplan/. It is gratifying to see that many of the aspirations of our plan have been realized in our focal areas of student success, research and creative endeavors, and community and communication.

While many and professional factors influence presidential transitions, the progress of our strategic plan, the conclusion of our first comprehensive fundraising campaign and the completion of multiple construction projects all suggest a time to consider new personal and professional opportunities. Inspiring confidence in SDSU's future are the collective ambitions of our students, faculty, staff, alumni and community supporters; our stable budget; our experienced provost and vice-presidential leadership team; our exceptionally strong deans and associate vice presidents; and our collaborative tradition of shared governance. 

In this context, CSU Chancellor White will be visiting campus shortly to gather perspectives on desired characteristics for the interim president. Following the interim appointment, Chancellor White will launch a national search for the next president. 

Thank you for your dedicated support over the last six years. I look forward to seeing San Diego State’s continuing progress in the years ahead.

Guest Dr. Dre
16 minutes ago, badfish said:

Bad timing, but he was not dedicated to SDSU or athletics, so I hope we get a more vocal leader who will fight for the university.

It was a weird hire to begin with as far as I'm concerned. He came from UMBC (U Made a Bad Choice- and it looks like he's returning to Baltimore county) and really kinda didn't fit in. But, there's no question academics and fundraising (along with a ton of new construction) have gone up under his term.

Guest Dr. Dre
9 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Terrible timing, but I am not sure exactly how mad I should really feel about this.  Between athletic apathy and some of the flak he got for the pay increase and the muslim thing, eh.....

Another tremendous opportunity for the university. It'll be a nationwide search with many qualified applicants wanting a very desirable position.

2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Terrible timing, but I am not sure exactly how mad I should really feel about this.  Between athletic apathy and some of the flak he got for the pay increase and the muslim thing, eh.....

I don't post on AztecMess anymore but still lurk there occasionally and somebody said over there today that Hirshman is going to be paid a cool $1.4M per to be head of the no-name school he's leaving for. That's more than double what SDSU was paying so if they're clueless enough to pay the guy that kind of bucks it's little wonder he's returning to Maryland.

Boom goes the dynamite.

40 minutes ago, Bob said:

So ethnic

IIRC, a couple professors from the Chicano Studies department came up with that. Just as bad as the dress was the name, The Ambassador. Now THAT'S a bad ass name for a school mascot. President Weber apparently thought the pissed off look on that student's face would scare opponents into submission. Most of us thought the kid was pissed because he had no idea how ridiculous he would look when he accepted free tuition for a year to play the part.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I don't post on AztecMess anymore but still lurk there occasionally and somebody said over there today that Hirshman is going to be paid a cool $1.4M per to be head of the no-name school he's leaving for. That's more than double what SDSU was paying so if they're clueless enough to pay the guy that kind of bucks it's little wonder he's returning to Maryland.

So he is from Maryland originally? Plus he is gonna get paid. I was wondering, "WTF Stevenson University?"

Yeah its pretty bad timing for SDSU, but maybe the new guy will be an improvement?

48 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

So he is from Maryland originally? Plus he is gonna get paid. I was wondering, "WTF Stevenson University?"

Yeah its pretty bad timing for SDSU, but maybe the new guy will be an improvement?

It makes me wonder why he accepted SDSU in the first place if it was about money.  His wife probably told him why put up with this shit, let's go back.  

Guest Dr. Dre
2 hours ago, RogueStout said:

4 hours of having this shitty song stuck in my head.

Thx Andre. 

here's some visual to help it really sink in

8 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

At least he wasn't responsible for this, IMO, the low-tide for Aztec athletics...

ambassador2.jpg

the bracelets look cute but he should have left grandma's cape at home.

• Like 1

Half-serious proposal: SDSU should hire an interim President with a background in real-estate development. Delegate all the academic stuff to the current admin and have the President focus purely on Mission Valley. Hire a permanent president 6-12 months later.