Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolfpack1

Basketball Coaching Openings Starting....

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

Mike Brey would be a horrible hire.

Why do you say that? I think most would disagree, LSU fans seem pretty excited about him.

Just now, bigd said:

Why do you say that? I think most would disagree, LSU fans seem pretty excited about him.

LSU is a flashy program in the South.  He has no ties to the South unless you count his playing days at Northwestern State.  Also, he's not a great recruiter.

rumor is USF's in talks with former GTech coach Brian Gregory...meh

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Dayton Flyers (Atlantic 10 Conference) (2003–2011)
2003–04 Dayton 24–9 12–4 1st (West) NCAA First Round
2004–05 Dayton 18–11 10–6 T–2nd (West)  
2005–06 Dayton 14–17 6–10 T–11th  
2006–07 Dayton 19–12 8–8 T–7th  
2007–08 Dayton 23–11 8–8 T–7th NIT Quarterfinals
2008–09 Dayton 27–8 11–5 T–2nd NCAA Second Round
2009–10 Dayton 25–12 8–8 7th NIT Champions
2010–11 Dayton 22–14 7–9 T–8th NIT First Round
Dayton: 172–94 (.647) 70–58 (.547)  
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2011–2016)
2011–12 Georgia Tech 11–20 4–12 11th  
2012–13 Georgia Tech 16–15 6–12 9th  
2013–14 Georgia Tech 16–17 6–12 11th  
2014–15 Georgia Tech 12–19 3–15 14th  
2015–16 Georgia Tech 21–15 8–10 T–11th NIT Quarterfinals
Georgia Tech: 76–86 (.469) 27–61 (.307)  
Total: 248–180 (.579)

I guess the idea is he took an 11 win GTech to 21 wins with an NIT and they fired him for it...Pastner then took the team Gregory rebuilt 17-15 and won AAC COY.

It's better than Antigua or Masiello...but not a slam dunk hire.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 hours ago, bigd said:

I wonder if South Florida would still be interested in Dave Rice? Haha

Dude needs to go get an HC gig in the WAC or Big West somewhere. No amount of time as an Assistant will repair the damage he did to his rep while here.

CBS Sports reporting that the UC Santa Barbara job is now available.  Bob Williams not returning for a 20th season.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/longtime-uc-santa-barbara-coach-bob-williams-out-after-19-seasons/?clickid=wecwuY3LcT2wTMB1F40oGROeUkhwCBySSRjFUM0&irgwc=1

14 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

CBS Sports reporting that the UC Santa Barbara job is now available.  Bob Williams not returning for a 20th season.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/longtime-uc-santa-barbara-coach-bob-williams-out-after-19-seasons/?clickid=wecwuY3LcT2wTMB1F40oGROeUkhwCBySSRjFUM0&irgwc=1

That could be a good spot for Rice.

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

That could be a good spot for Rice.

Why would we go for that?  Everyone saw what Rice did at UNLV.

BOOM! Crean is out at Indiana...they can hire whoever they want or even steal a P5 coach...dominoes are going to start falling.

Indiana, Cal, LSU, NC State, Illinois.....lots of big jobs open.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 3/8/2017 at 11:14 PM, bigd said:

This is the guy that swore up and down that Dave Rice was a great coach. Don't listen to anything he says. You would think that just by pure chance he would be right every now and then, but he never is

16 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

BOOM! Crean is out at Indiana...they can hire whoever they want or even steal a P5 coach...dominoes are going to start falling.

Indiana, Cal, LSU, NC State, Illinois.....lots of big jobs open.

I think NCSU will be the odd man out on this one.  Lot of great programs opening up.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

This is the guy that swore up and down that Dave Rice was a great coach. Don't listen to anything he says. You would think that just by pure chance he would be right every now and then, but he never is

Rice could maybe pull a Pastner...Pastner is taking the program Brian Gregory rebuilt out for a spin and won ACC COY...Dave Rice could take the program Muss built and win MWC COY next season.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Rice could maybe pull a Pastner...Pastner is taking the program Brian Gregory rebuilt out for a spin and won ACC COY...Dave Rice could take the program Muss built and win MWC COY next season.

I can't fathom in any world UNR hiring Dave Rice to be HC

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

I can't fathom in any world UNR hiring Dave Rice to be HC

I couldn't fathom hiring a 31 year old Calipari asst to coach my team...but first Mike Anderson (then at Mizzou) said no...then Scott Drew said no...then Leonard Hamilton said no...suddenly my mind opened to new ideas.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

3 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I couldn't fathom hiring a 31 year old Calipari asst to coach my team...but first Mike Anderson (then at Mizzou) said no...then Scott Drew said no...then Leonard Hamilton said no...suddenly my mind opened to new ideas.

Memphis is a top 30 job.