Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolfpack1

Basketball Coaching Openings Starting....

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Memphis is a top 30 job.

with top 15 pay...

Tubby gets 2.8 million this season...2.9 million next season...3 million the season after that, with those first three years guaranteed.

It's just that nobody wanted to follow Cal and his expectations (many say we ran off Pastner simply for not being Calipari)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

7 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I couldn't fathom hiring a 31 year old Calipari asst to coach my team...but first Mike Anderson (then at Mizzou) said no...then Scott Drew said no...then Leonard Hamilton said no...suddenly my mind opened to new ideas.

Taking a chance on an unproven asst is completely different than hiring proven disaster of a HC. 

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

BOOM! Crean is out at Indiana...they can hire whoever they want or even steal a P5 coach...dominoes are going to start falling.

Indiana, Cal, LSU, NC State, Illinois.....lots of big jobs open.

Everybody just got upstaged. Most of these P5's aren't going to be able to move on their top candidates until Indiana fills theirs. Also some of these longtime G5 coaches (like Miller, Bennett, maybe even Few) who rebuffed suitor after suitor may be in play finally?

Will UCLA open up now?

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Rice could maybe pull a Pastner...Pastner is taking the program Brian Gregory rebuilt out for a spin and won ACC COY...Dave Rice could take the program Muss built and win MWC COY next season.

I know it's against the grain, but I could see Rice being very successful for his first couple of years as UNR HC. The wheels didn't really start falling off until year 3 at UNLV after all the Kruger kids were gone.

And who knows? Maybe Rice will be better in a place where he can't land elite talent?

I still think it would only be a matter of time until he flamed out.

23 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I know it's against the grain, but I could see Rice being very successful for his first couple of years as UNR HC. The wheels didn't really start falling off until year 3 at UNLV after all the Kruger kids were gone.

And who knows? Maybe Rice will be better in a place where he can't land elite talent?

This, I think part of his problem was that he recruited over his head. It's difficult for mid-majors to win when they constantly have players leaving early and transferring (even Nevada fans can relate to this). Washington, Cal, and other middle of the road P5s also struggle with this.

24 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I don't think there is any doubt that rice would do well in Reno for the next couple of years, these are muss's kids, and they were all in on getting revenge for rice against unlv, those that are there will work hard for him. 

Guest RoscoesDad
1 hour ago, bigd said:

This, I think part of his problem was that he recruited over his head. It's difficult for mid-majors to win when they constantly have players leaving early and transferring (even Nevada fans can relate to this). Washington, Cal, and other middle of the road P5s also struggle with this.

Well if you cannot win with superior talent and were routinely mocked by fans, opposing coaches and NBA scouts for your lack of ability to coach THOSE kids, couldn't win the league title once in a very weak league with superior talent....then how in the world can one make a logical leap that he might do better with players that are not as good as what he had at UNLV?  In the same conference?   I mean I guess anything is possible, but it just seems like rebelnet logic and you know how awful that track record is.

48 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

Well if you cannot win with superior talent and were routinely mocked by fans, opposing coaches and NBA scouts for your lack of ability to coach THOSE kids, couldn't win the league title once in a very weak league with superior talent....then how in the world can one make a logical leap that he might do better with players that are not as good as what he had at UNLV?  In the same conference?   I mean I guess anything is possible, but it just seems like rebelnet logic and you know how awful that track record is.

Yeah, the other side of it is that he may have recruited kids, that while supremely talented, did not work with his coaching style. How many times did his players seem to basically make stuff up on the fly? How many post game interviews were there when Rice said something to the effect of "well that wasn't how we drew it up?" His lack of leadership skills enabled it to grow out of control.

I get that all evidence points to Rice just being a crappy coach. I pretty much agree. He certainly showed extremely poor leadership throughout his tenure here. But I do think there is some logic to the argument that he could be more successful recruiting a different kind of player than what he brought to UNLV. One can also point to how those uber talents are fairing in the NBA. Besides McCaw, not so hot so far. There's more than just athletic talent that goes into the game. Drive, knowledge of the game... I think a lot of those guys were pretty weak in those areas.

On 3/8/2017 at 9:44 AM, jdgaucho said:

Bob Williams' contract expires this year and he declined a one year extension before the season started.  If he comes back it would be his 20th year.

We were 6-22.  How much responsibility is on the coach, how much on the players?  

Big men Jalen Canty and Ami Lakoju both declared academically ineligible before conference play started.  Our leading scorer tears his ACL midway through conference.   That's why I said the odds are 50-50.  No idea if he stays.

Academic ineligibility at UCSB? Smh. Williams is a good coach who has had a nice run but it's time for him to go to the old coaches home.

UCSB isn't exactly a national name but it's had some very good teams and players and no way, no how should the Gauchos be finishing 6-22.

Hire Dave Rice. At least your recruiting will get a big uptick.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest RoscoesDad
4 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Yeah, the other side of it is that he may have recruited kids, that while supremely talented, did not work with his coaching style. How many times did his players seem to basically make stuff up on the fly? How many post game interviews were there when Rice said something to the effect of "well that wasn't how we drew it up?" His lack of leadership skills enabled it to grow out of control.

I get that all evidence points to Rice just being a crappy coach. I pretty much agree. He certainly showed extremely poor leadership throughout his tenure here. But I do think there is some logic to the argument that he could be more successful recruiting a different kind of player than what he brought to UNLV. One can also point to how those uber talents are fairing in the NBA. Besides McCaw, not so hot so far. There's more than just athletic talent that goes into the game. Drive, knowledge of the game... I think a lot of those guys were pretty weak in those areas.

I agree with all that.  The only issue is that Dave Rice recruited all those guys who were over-hyped AAU primadonnas because he thought he could coach them up.  But he wasn't able to.  I understand the theory that he might do better with guys that may not have such self inflated egos.  Andy hey it might work out.  I mentioned it before, but I equate it to real life businesses.  Some people are chiefs, some are indians.  Some are great sales people, but make terrible managers of others.  I see this being true for Rice and also a guy like Bobby Hauck.  I don't doubt their knowledge of the game.  Hauck probably knows more about football than 99.9% of college coaches.  But leaders are a totally different breed than the grinders.  It will be interesting to see what Rice can do at UNR if he is hired as HC to say the least.

4 minutes ago, Nevada2012 said:

Anybody know what Xavier coach is getting paid ?

Nowhere near Reno range.

1.2 base.

From Ohio.

Alum of Xavier.

Not leaving.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

9 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Nowhere near Reno range.

1.2 base.

From Ohio.

Alum of Xavier.

Not leaving.

I know he was Cal's first choice last time but he decided to stay at Xavier at the last minute.

So, if Reno wants to avoid a Beard situation, they may have to wait for all the dominoes to fall now...

Indiana hires Alford, opening up UCLA.

Muss goes to either UCLA, Cal or Washington (outside shot at LSU).

The other 3 schools then have to fill their positions. Are they looking at the same guys on Reno's list?

All those other 3 will be taking another HC. And THOSE schools (likely G5) will be looking to fill their spots. Reno will then be fighting for the scraps among programs that likely have more money to offer coaches (thinking of programs that are BBall only). Could take awhile for all that to go down.

Another way it could go down is they go after someone no one else is looking at. This is where we see Rice enter the picture? They'd save a lot of time and likely be able to retain players and retain at least a few recruits.

4 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

So, if Reno wants to avoid a Beard situation, they may have to wait for all the dominoes to fall now...

The other 3 schools then have to fill their positions. Are they looking at the same guys on Reno's list?

All those other 3 will be taking another HC. And THOSE schools (likely G5) will be looking to fill their spots. Reno will then be fighting for the scraps among programs that likely have more money to offer coaches (thinking of programs that are BBall only). Could take awhile for all that to go down.

Another way it could go down is they go after someone no one else is looking at. This is where we see Rice enter the picture? They'd save a lot of time and likely be able to retain players and retain at least a few recruits.

In your dreams ...

Knuth's got it covered ... and it ain't David Rice.

6 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Two reasons this is completely wrong, one we have a good AD compared to TKM, second no longer need regent approval so can hire right away. We won't see a beard situation.

2 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

Two reasons this is completely wrong, one we have a good AD compared to TKM, second no longer need regent approval so can hire right away. We won't see a beard situation.

The delay in hiring wasn't what caused the Beard situation. It was another job opening up that he wanted more. That's the danger in hiring too quick, actually.

7 minutes ago, Nevada2012 said:

In your dreams ...

Knuth's got it covered ... and it ain't David Rice.

It ain't in my dreams bud lol.

So none of the names on Knuth's list will be pursued by other schools? There's gonna be lots of openings. Lots of attractive ones.