Aslowhiteguy

Realistically, what do you expect from your BB team next season?

1 minute ago, Poster17 said:

For the Rebels,  something like 20-12 overall, 11-7 in conference.  5-6 seed range.  They should be improved a bunch based on the recruiting that is going on. 

11-7 would be a fourth place finish at worse and not fifth or sixth.

10 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Better, worse or about the same? 

I expect NV to be similar or slightly better.  But if Oliver returns, we will be a force. 

This is a great topic to cover AFTER the season.

• Like 1

Boise will be one of the favorites to win the league. This was supposed to be their rebuilding year and they overachieved having a shot at a title until the last week. Legit POTY candidate in Hutch and another All Conference (HM) in Austin. The three trFR should build on their solid 1st years'. Look for Hobbs to have a breakout year next season eating up Reid's minutes. He averaged over 7 ppg the last part of the year shooting 54% from both the field and from 3. The 3 Bigs have another year of development. They have a couple guys coming in that could help, but they don't need anything from them. Anything they can bring is gravy

5 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Looks like next year is shaping up to be another year where we'll have 11 teams finish in the top-4 :huh:

Lol

Wyoming should really improved. They'll be a SR laden team next year with almost all of their contributors back. They'll be to half for sure 

26 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

If they get Trevon Duval, then I think they will have no problem finishing in the top five.

Where's this coming from?

Edit: Scratch that...didn't see the other thread you posted..

4 minutes ago, And? said:

Where's this coming from?

From what I've gathered, the staff was in or is currently in FL evaluating an unsigned point guard for the class of 2017.  The only one who would make sense at this point is him.  Why would they go all the way there for a nobody when they have Jordan Goldwire ready to sign.  In my opinion, they're going after Duval with Goldwire as a fallback option.  It's high level speculation, but it makes sense to me.

Boise will look really good.  At times.  But in the end will be who they always are in hoops;  pretenders. 

Best players Hutch and Austin have a similar M.O.   Very much talent in a 5 cent heart.   They seem to choose when to be all there and this year it was about 70% of the time.   If this first season as basically the go to guys was a learning experience and they bring more focus next year the Broncos could turn the corner.   That and if Rice is smart enough to play Hobbs and Jessup together a bunch because Hobbs has D Marks' scoring ability and plays fast.  The issue is that Rice will lean on Hutch for everything next year because he's his senior.  If Hutch isn't up to the task, ala Duncan this year or Drmic the year before then we get same ol same ol.   

I predict the same 18-19 wins unfortunately for us.  I hope I'm way off.

4 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Foster is back next season. We'll be extremely deep, the faces of the team will be Caroline and the Martin twins probably, main supporting cast of Hall, Foster, and Drew. Ramsey, King, Cooke, Stephans, Davis, will all be there.

I expect a better all around team, might lose a couple more games regular season, but losing to no one when it matters.

1 hour ago, cardrater said:

There is a little birdie that follows the pack and watches thier practices constantly. I'm sure most pack fans know who I'm referring to. The 4 transfers are tearing it up im practice and at times, look better than the starting 5. Throw in Foster( who was playing better than Oliver before he was suspended)  will be coming back. One of the best juco players from the best team is coming in, Caroline, Hall, and Drew returning, and the remaining scholarship Muss has for either a Grad T or  FR. It's hard not to be excited about next year.

The loss of Fenner, Marshall, and Oliver will hurt but Caroline and Foster have shown to have monster games. The Martin twins are leaders and play with high energy. Stephens will most likely be the best shooter on the team and is deadly from 3. 

Hall ha shown flashes and could be another Huff. I think next year he could be are breakout player , but the same could be said for about 5 other players on our team.

King and Ramsey have been a disappointment and I wonder if they may transfer. If that is the case. That won't hurt us to bad but it may affect depth.

There are 3 players Muss is after pretty hard. One is a international player who is reaaaallly good. Another is a Juco transfer, and the third is a FR who is also really good but haven't decided yet. Muss will most likely have 2 schollys with Oliver leaving.  Look for commits to happen right away if Muss stays.

I hope you guys are right about Foster.

I could see Ramsey moving on, I hope not, but it's a possibility. King has already transferred once, he's not going anywhere.

17 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Boise will look really good.  At times.  But in the end will be who they always are in hoops;  pretenders. 

Best players Hutch and Austin have a similar M.O.   Very much talent in a 5 cent heart.   They seem to choose when to be all there and this year it was about 70% of the time.   If this first season as basically the go to guys was a learning experience and they bring more focus next year the Broncos could turn the corner.   That and if Rice is smart enough to play Hobbs and Jessup together a bunch because Hobbs has D Marks' scoring ability and plays fast.  The issue is that Rice will lean on Hutch for everything next year because he's his senior.  If Hutch isn't up to the task, ala Duncan this year or Drmic the year before then we get same ol same ol.   

I predict the same 18-19 wins unfortunately for us.  I hope I'm way off.

I expect Hutch to take another jump next year.  I bet he adds another 10-15 pounds and improves his perimeter shot.  We should be much better on defense with Reid and Duncan gone.  Addition by subtraction.  If Wacker and Haney maintain their development curve we could be really good.  Borderline tournament team IMHO.

35 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Lol

Wyoming should really improved. They'll be a SR laden team next year with almost all of their contributors back. They'll be to half for sure 

With the league so down this year, there will be a handful of teams who will be improved next year. So while we'll definitely be a better team, I'm not sure how high Wyoming can climb in the standings.

We definitely have some guys who are legitimate MW starters to lead the team next year (Herndon, Dalton, and James) with some other guys who proved to be serviceable this year (Lieberman, Adams). I'm hoping the freshmen we have coming in can help contribute a bit similar to what Boise got out of their freshmen this past year. Of course every team thinks their incoming guys will be POY candidates, but I think Edwards new style is really attractive to HS kids and we've got a potential all-time class coming in. Anthony Mack is a pure shooter and serviceable defender who Villanova was making in-home visits with the week before he signed with us. Hunter Maldonado is a 6'5" version of Josh Adams. He was under the radar playing in a lower division his JR year, but he outperformed the top CO prospects head-to-head his senior year. And then there's Hunter Thompson, who's a rare 4-star Wyoming native.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I expect Hutch to take another jump next year.  I bet he adds another 10-15 pounds and improves his perimeter shot.  We should be much better on defense with Reid and Duncan gone.  Addition by subtraction.  If Wacker and Haney maintain their development curve we could be really good.  Borderline tournament team IMHO.

I like improvement by graduation.  It signals you're recruiting better perhaps but Rice won't ever let go of senior favoritism IMO so we have to have seniors lead the team as far as they're going to go.    

If Hutch has it inside him and Beckerman coaches him (and Austin, Hobbs, etc) to his potential we could be good.    I think we'd be best next year to start a small roster with Austin/Dickinson, Hobbs, Jessup, Hutch and Haney.      And it's possible that Dickinson emerges as the better PG option if he keeps improving;   I like his motor better, especially on D.

2 minutes ago, roughrider said:

I like improvement by graduation.  It signals you're recruiting better perhaps but Rice won't ever let go of senior favoritism IMO so we have to have seniors lead the team as far as they're going to go.    

If Hutch has it inside him and Beckerman coaches him (and Austin, Hobbs, etc) to his potential we could be good.    I think we'd be best next year to start a small roster with Austin/Dickinson, Hobbs, Jessup, Hutch and Haney.      And it's possible that Dickinson emerges as the better PG option if he keeps improving;   I like his motor better, especially on D.

That looks like an athletic lineup.  I also like the idea of playing Haney at the 4 and Wacker at the 5 against teams with athletic bigs that gave us so much trouble this year.

22 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

With the league so down this year, there will be a handful of teams who will be improved next year. So while we'll definitely be a better team, I'm not sure how high Wyoming can climb in the standings.

We definitely have some guys who are legitimate MW starters to lead the team next year (Herndon, Dalton, and James) with some other guys who proved to be serviceable this year (Lieberman, Adams). I'm hoping the freshmen we have coming in can help contribute a bit similar to what Boise got out of their freshmen this past year. Of course every team thinks their incoming guys will be POY candidates, but I think Edwards new style is really attractive to HS kids and we've got a potential all-time class coming in. Anthony Mack is a pure shooter and serviceable defender who Villanova was making in-home visits with the week before he signed with us. Hunter Maldonado is a 6'5" version of Josh Adams. He was under the radar playing in a lower division his JR year, but he outperformed the top CO prospects head-to-head his senior year. And then there's Hunter Thompson, who's a rare 4-star Wyoming native.

Realistically I only see one of the incoming guys making the rotation. Just too many bodies. Thompson I believe will redshirt; he is stick thin and he'll be on the Hathaway scholarship and a walk-on for his first year. Who knows though, if Maldonado and Mack are better players than the ones we have, maybe they'll get PT over guys like Cody and Liebs. I'm curious if Barnes will transfer. Kid is a monstrosity, he just isn't very physical.

15 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That looks like an athletic lineup.  I also like the idea of playing Haney at the 4 and Wacker at the 5 against teams with athletic bigs that gave us so much trouble this year.

Haney's a 4, I agree.    The teams beating up on us now are doing it with forwards for the most part and of our 3 bigs only Haney has the foot speed to keep up IMO. 

And Wacker's stress fracture issues make me not want to lean on him too much.  Be nice if he would heal up and stay 100% because he's our only legit post.