mysfit

Slaves weren't slaves

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

I caught about half of Amistad last night. Hell without hope indeed.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, mugtang said:

I've never watched it.  I'll have to this weekend 

It's up there in my top 10 favorite movies of all time. Fantastic flick!

• Like 2

On Tue Mar 07 2017 at 3:48 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

Botswana is supposed to be pretty damn nice and stable as well with a strong legal system. @AfriPoke, any insights from you on best places to live in Africa?

Love Botswana.  It was never a colony and the people are fierce and proud.  The Okavaango Delta and Kalahari have to be seen to be believed.  The Okavaango in particular.

Namibia is also great.  Fish canyon, Etosha, the skeleton coast...  It's very nice.

Senegal is great and I'd love back to Dakar in a heartbeat.  Diving on Isles Des Madelaines is fantastic.  My best friend lives there.  One can drive from Dakar to San Luis on the beach during low tide.

You'll think I'm crazy, but Mauritania is pretty amazing as well.  The Sahara is different there for some reason.  The Oasis at Terjit and the Eastern Highlands near the border with Mali will overload your senses after the rainy season.  The colors are mind blowing.

Camping in the Masai Mara will change the way you think.  Hearing a lion's roar at 2am, just on the other side of the boma, makes you realize how little we are as individuals.

Hell, the whole damn continent is pretty fantastic and ought to be experienced (minus the parts where the machetes are out in force).

It was (and is) a downer coming back to the states.  Meeting people in Africa is what I think it's supposed to be like for humans.  They ask how you and your family are and they actually mean it.  I find that to be rare across much of the rest of the busy world.

Going back this fall luckily.

If any of you yahoos decide to go, please reach out and let me help with linkups and a non-touristy itinerary.  More than happy to do so.

• Like 3

Go Pokes!

bronco2.gif