retrofade

Well, time for a new job

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Since you're in Tech and you have 8 months to find a new job, you should look at learning Ruby on Rails. Ruby developers are getting paid extremely well and it's a constantly growing field. 

I've never had much interest in devops to be honest. I could learn Ruby, or go back to my Microsoft roots. I would prefer to stick in non-technical roles moving forward though; I did support and sysadmin/engineering for 15 years. 

Ultimately, I'm just frustrated. I worked my ass off to build my group into a viable business entity. I developed new services that led to profitability to our department beyond what we were doing, which was just barely more than breaking even. I put in at least 60 hours a week for over a year and a half, and often times more like 80-100 hours, and this is the thanks that I get... handing it all over to people in the parent company because I was deemed "redundant". It's frustrating to have your worth narrowed down to decisions made within a vacuum, without anyone knowing what the value of my team is. 

My goal for as long as I'm still with the company is to do everything that I can to find jobs for my two other PMs. They have less experience than I do, and I'm truly worried about their careers moving forward, especially the PM that I trained from the time we both started. I can go find a support role any time if I absolutely have to, but they don't have the same ability. 

• Like 3

One door closes and another one opens. Keeping a positive attitude has always worked for me and I'm in a highly competitive field (TV production).

The power of positive thinking can do amazing things. :rock: 

It's fortunately not the end of the world. I can technically add a Fortune 100 company to my resume. I also have eight months to find other employment, which means I don't have to take the first job that comes my way, which I've done before and ended up pretty damned miserable. 

Right now I'm focusing on middle sized startups, who have built up their identity, and can afford to pay a good wage, but who also value employees as assets and not commodities they can dispose of at will. 

Like I said, I spent 15 years in help desk, IT Management, SysAdmin/Engineer, and Analyst roles. If worse comes to worse, I can certainly just find a support role. But the next eight months should give me enough time to find the right job. 

I'm not particularly happy about how things went down, but I can't change them. So I'm just trying to make the best of it and realize that it could be worse. 

5 hours ago, retrofade said:

I got a transitional job offer through the end of October, after which I'm let go with a bonus equal to 11 weeks salary. So I now have 8 months to find something else. Yeehaw. 

Went through something similar. 

My wife died of an aneurism, two months later my company shut the doors and 8 months later I lost my house.

3 +++++ing major hits.

But , I'm still here. I moved across the country without housing or a job lined up....I believed in myself and that I would find something based on my skills. 

I have.

It was gut wrenching and stressful beyond belief. 

Youll be fine if you have the will too.

• Like 2

I've gotten the impression from reading previous posts you were kind of prepared for this possibility.

You'll land on your feet, man. You're a very marketable commodity in a space where demand will always outstrip supply - at least as long as you're a member of the workforce. ;)

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

11 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I've gotten the impression from reading previous posts you were kind of prepared for this possibility.

You'll land on your feet, man. You're a very marketable commodity in a space where demand will always outstrip supply - at least as long as you're a member of the workforce. ;)

I was prepared for this eventuality, unfortunately the two other member of my team weren't. So I'm trying my best to reach out to my contacts to try and find work for them as well. They unfortunately thought that the three of us would be okay.

20 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

My wife died of an aneurism, two months later my company shut the doors and 8 months later I lost my house.

3 +++++ing major hits.

But , I'm still here. I moved across the country without housing or a job lined up....I believed in myself and that I would find something based on my skills. 

I have.

Damn, dude. Good on you for making the best out of a horrible situation. I couldn't imagine losing my wife like that, and then being able to make something of myself. 

26 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

3 +++++ing major hits.

I have.

Damn DFPF. Please accept both my condolences for what you went through and my respect.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Just to be clear, this isn't really a "woe is me" post. Things could certainly be worse, and I still have a job, it's just a job with and end date. I'm effectively working a contract, but I get benefits during that time, so it's better than most contract work. 

It also gives me a good eight months of a ramp to find the right job, instead of having to jump on the first one that comes my way. So I'm just trying to look at the positives of the situation. Now I need to help my one coworker get her CAPM, because she's very new into Project Management and IT, so she needs a lot of help to get into a similar position. Like I said, I can always go back to support if I had to, so I'm not too terribly concerned about my job prospects, something will come along. 

• Like 1

Any thoughts on going on your own?  Lucky for you, you are in the Triangle and right on the 95 corridor. 

I too recall your comments on your stress levels and dissatisfaction.  Watch the positivity that comes out of this.  You may look back and realize this is what you needed.  Sometimes chaos is an unwelcome necessity.  Best of luck to ya.  :cheers:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, retrofade said:

I got a transitional job offer through the end of October, after which I'm let go with a bonus equal to 11 weeks salary. So I now have 8 months to find something else. Yeehaw. 

that blows, man...hopefully in a year you'll be where you want to be and look back on this as a good thing that opened the door to your next opportunity.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Any thoughts on going on your own?  Lucky for you, you are in the Triangle and right on the 95 corridor. 

I too recall your comments on your stress levels and dissatisfaction.  Watch the positivity that comes out of this.  You may look back and realize this is what you needed.  Sometimes chaos is an unwelcome necessity.  Best of luck to ya.  :cheers:

You go on your own, plan for SE taxes...all of it.

• Like 1

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Guest #1Stunner
20 hours ago, retrofade said:

Let us know if you need help with anything, or if you need any job leads in your area.

Guest #1Stunner
15 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

3 +++++ing major hits.

I have.

Sir, major respect.   I can't imagine.   I hope things are going well for you now.