ph90702

I'm Calling it Now

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Why would he leave UCLA for Indiana? 

He's from there, and he played there.  That's his dream job.  He's also not well liked by the boosters and isn't a great fit.

People probably asked why Roy Williams would leave for North Carolina when he was already the head coach at Kansas.

nope, here's why

In 2016 Steve Alford and his staff landed one of the best recruiting classes in the country. The crew included three five-star recruits, led by top-10 prospect, point guard Lonzo Ball.

Now the Bruins look ready to bring in another monster class. Already UCLA has a commitment from five-star point guard Jaylen Hands, and two more top-100 prospects, power forward Cody Riley and center Jalen Hill, are in the fold as well.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/11/03/maryland-terrapins-ucla-bruins-recruiting

I'm not agreeing with 90702 but I don't think it's out of the question. Not only does Alford's kid graduate, so does Isaac Hamilton and Lonzo Ball is a one and done. And Alford has a great class lined up but Thomas Welsh has just one more year and what are the chances that TJ Leaf won't also turn pro after the 2017-2018 season? Slim, I would say.

UCLA might be a better job than Indiana now but it isn't always and the IU position isn't available very often.

• Like 3

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I'm not agreeing with 90702 but I don't think it's out of the question. Not only does Alford's kid graduate, so does Isaac Hamilton and Lonzo Ball is a one and done. And Alford has a great class lined up but Thomas Welsh has just one more year and what are the chances that TJ Leaf won't also turn pro after the 2017-2018 season? Slim, I would say.

UCLA might be a better job than Indiana now but it isn't always and the IU position isn't available very often.

I agree.  It's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

After beating AZ, I think UCLA replaces the Zags as a #1 seed

20 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I agree.  It's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

After beating AZ, I think UCLA replaces the Zags as a #1 seed

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2013/03/31/ucla-lands-steve-alford-but-did-steve-alford-land-one-of-americas-best-coaching-jobs/#5f801dc85e17

Alford is being paid a tidy sum. However, along with SF and SD, housing in L.A. is now the most expensive in the country. Indiana is probably one of only a couple dozen schools capable of matching what UCLA is paying and that money would buy two to four times as much house in Bloomington. Granted, the average UCLA coach wouldn't ever consider moving to Indiana but the way Alford lobbied boosters to get the IU job when he was at Iowa makes clear he isn't the average UCLA coach.

• Like 3

Boom goes the dynamite.

Los Angeles or Bloomington, IN.............?  

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

Bloomington, IN

bloomingtonroads.jpg

Westwood, CA

65274a771951e3069920751459c5d551.jpg

:)

That's what I'm saying.  Although maybe he likes being in the midwest.  To me, it's no comparison.  Los Angeles much nicer than Bloomington.

2 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Los Angeles or Bloomington, IN.............?  

That's what I'm saying.  Although maybe he likes being in the midwest.  To me, it's no comparison.  Los Angeles much nicer than Bloomington.

Yep. You couldn't pay me enough to move from a Sunset Boulevard mansion near Westwood to Bloomington, Indiana or probably anywhere in the Midwest (or Albuquerque for that matter). However, I'm a lifelong Californian. Steve Alford hasn't even lived here a decade.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.