Headbutt

I need a new phone

7 minutes ago, nashvillepoke said:

I was being facetious.  I am not 60 by any means.  It was more of a comment around 35 years.  Lol.  I have right at 20 years as an sys admins, through network administrator, it director, and now AVP.  We run a cloud based system now with around 30k vms throughout the world.  I spend 90% of my time in outlook so as long as it can handle a 200 gb pst, I am good.  Lol

Haha! Okay, I figured you weren't too much different from my age. It sounds like we've had similar job roles, except that I moved back to Engineer work after being a Manager. 

Now just let me know if I can interest you in a hyperconverged infrastructure to handle those 30k VMs. ;) Or.... if you need an admin or Project Manager for those 30k VMs since I won't have a job past October. lol. The former Exchange Administrator ( Enterprise Messaging Administrator MCITP) in me shudders at the thought of a 200GB PST though. Like.... that was one of my worst nightmares as an Exchange Admin. You damned executives and your massive e-mail retention requirements. 

But in all seriousness if you need a PM, or a VP role, please let me know. ;):lol: 

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

The only Windows based laptop that I would consider over my MBP is the Surface Book... and it's more expensive than the Apple equivalent.i7i

Intel Core i7
13.5" screen
16GB RAM
512 GB SSD
Geforce GTX 965M

Like I said earlier, I have a Surface Pro 3 that I absolutely adore... it's an amazing piece of hardware that I use every single day for work. I've been thinking of replacing it with a iPad Pro 12.9", but I still think that the SP3 is a superior device. 

I have a surface pro 2 I use for console connections,  to network gear instead of lugging the laptop around.  Solid piece of hardware.

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

Haha! Okay, I figured you weren't too much different from my age. It sounds like we've had similar job roles, except that I moved back to Engineer work after being a Manager. 

Now just let me know if I can interest you in a hyperconverged infrastructure to handle those 30k VMs. ;) Or.... if you need an admin or Project Manager for those 30k VMs since I won't have a job past October. lol. The former Exchange Administrator ( Enterprise Messaging Administrator MCITP) in me shudders at the thought of a 200GB PST though. Like.... that was one of my worst nightmares as an Exchange Admin. You damned executives and your massive e-mail retention requirements. 

But in all seriousness if you need a PM, or a VP role, please let me know. ;):lol: 

We are actually hiring about 20 PMS right now.  The 200 gb pst, is simply due to be on legal hold for about 10 years.

2 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

If those were priorities you wouldn't buy something with half the usability and no quality for more money.

Your story don't work.

My MBP has all of the usability that I need it for. It can run every enterprise application that I need it to... plus it allows me to do some gaming on it when I feel like it. My wife is a Director of Sales Operations (and likely about to be promoted to VP) for a healthcare analytics company, and was issued a Mac for her normal job duties. 

1 minute ago, nashvillepoke said:

We are actually hiring about 20 PMS right now.  The 200 gb pst, is simply due to be on legal hold for about 10 years.

Your exchange admins should be archiving that off instead of having a 200GB PST to be honest. That's just a ridiculous performance hit for your computer if you're having to load up a 200GB PST file. I worked in Ag and Medical, which both have a 7 year requirement, so we simply archived everything off onto other storage. 

If you need any PMs that can work from the RTP area let me know. I'm obviously looking for a job since mine is only going to last until October now. "/ 

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

My MBP has all of the usability that I need it for. It can run every enterprise application that I need it to... plus it allows me to do some gaming on it when I feel like it. My wife is a Director of Sales Operations (and likely about to be promoted to VP) for a healthcare analytics company, and was issued a Mac for her normal job duties. 

Gaming on a MB!  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

You probably play WOW or some other fanboy easy mode game.

1 minute ago, bluerules009 said:

Gaming on a MB!  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

You probably play WOW or some other fanboy easy mode game.

Like I said, "some" gaming. I used to play WoW, thought I haven't for a while. I mostly play Civ VI and Cities: Skylines on my MBP. All of my other gaming takes places on my custom built gaming machine.... which I'm posting from right now. But I do a ton of my work from my MBP, and game on it if I'm traveling. 

Just now, retrofade said:

Like I said, "some" gaming. I used to play WoW, thought I haven't for a while. I mostly play Civ VI and Cities: Skylines on my MBP. All of my other gaming takes places on my custom built gaming machine.... which I'm posting from right now. But I do a ton of my work from my MBP, and game on it if I'm traveling. 

That's what I thought.

9 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Your exchange admins should be archiving that off instead of having a 200GB PST to be honest. That's just a ridiculous performance hit for your computer if you're having to load up a 200GB PST file. I worked in Ag and Medical, which both have a 7 year requirement, so we simply archived everything off onto other storage. 

If you need any PMs that can work from the RTP area let me know. I'm obviously looking for a job since mine is only going to last until October now. "/ 

All of our PMs work from home so not a localized thing.  

10 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

That's what I thought.

I'm not a competitive gamer any longer, so I really don't give a shit about what you think about my gaming habits. My primary games right now are Elite: Dangerous, Overwatch, and NBA 2k17. I game for fun, not to be competitive. I game on my MBP when I'm hanging out with my wife watching TV or a movie that I'm not super interested. 

7 minutes ago, nashvillepoke said:

All of our PMs work from home so not a localized thing.  

Working from home again is my dream come true. I never realized how much I missed it after I left my job WFH for 2.5 years in Texas. My wife works from home as well, and she loves it... and I'm super jealous over it. lol. 

Also, if you have that many VMs, you should really look at hyperconvergance, if the VM stuff falls under your direct purview. 

I made about 300k working on the "spaceship" in Cupertino off and on for the past few years. 

But I'd never give a single penny of it back for one of their hunka junk phones. I'm glad you suckers like 'em though... #Thx4PayingForMyLifestyle

12667677.jpeg

25 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Working from home again is my dream come true. I never realized how much I missed it after I left my job WFH for 2.5 years in Texas. My wife works from home as well, and she loves it... and I'm super jealous over it. lol. 

Also, if you have that many VMs, you should really look at hyperconvergance, if the VM stuff falls under your direct purview. 

The main issue is the legacy apps,  20 year old code that no one can find the source to

1 minute ago, nashvillepoke said:

The main issue is the legacy apps,  20 year old code that no one can find the source to

Been there and done that before... it cost me my job when I couldn't recreate the source code to a legacy app. :lol: 

apple engineers the poo out of their stuff because there is one single hardware baseline per model.  they aren't using off the shelf components or chips, for the most part.  windows machines are.

ergo, you get a ubiquity of windows machines that perform very well for fewer dollars and highly customized high performing mac machines for much more money.  it's always about economics and what you want.  i have never been in a datacenter where macs were running the show.  i have seen a ton of rhel7 and windows machines in datacenters because the commoditized hardware drops the price in relation to performance.  so you take a hit on battery life but you save hundreds per machine you buy.  that's a business no brainer.  in the coding world, "we give out macs!" is a sign of status, but that doesn't do it for me.  incidentally, commoditized hardware is squeezing out battery performance gains because that's where the hardware design technology is leading.  they can't get the same gains in performance per dollar in R&D spent as they used to so now everyone wants low power.  incidentally, i got a toshiba portege for like $1500 with 9 hours of battery life.  has a 16GB of RAM, 128GB SSD, and 2.4GHz core i5.  Comparable to the macbooc pro 15" for a lot less coin.

if battery life and a well designed ecosystem/polished product is your thing, then get the mac.  but they're not the only options to get what they boast, outside of ecosystem.  and they wouldn't have an ecosystem to speak of if their requirements weren't locked down.

me?  i put ubuntu 16.04 on an intel nuc.  3.2GHz core i7, 16GB of RAM, 250GB m.2 SATA drive, and dinky intel 6100 video card.  but it does minecraft and that's all i care about. this thing is wicked fast and quiet too.

• Like 2

All I will say in this notebook debate is my MacBook Air is far more stable than the PC notebooks my colleagues are working on. I've had it for over 3.5 years and it has never crashed on me, not even once. My battery life is still pretty damn good - I can work continuously without being plugged in for about 4.5 hours. My boss has a PC that is two years old and the fcker crashes on her constantly and her battery doesn't last as long. 

• Like 2

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

All I will say in this notebook debate is my MacBook Air is far more stable than the PC notebooks my colleagues are working on. I've had it for over 3.5 years and it has never crashed on me, not even once. My battery life is still pretty damn good - I can work continuously without being plugged in for about 4.5 hours. My boss has a PC that is two years old and the fcker crashes on her constantly and her battery doesn't last as long. 

I was a Windows guy forever until Windows 8. I hated the OS so much I sold the laptop after a couple of months and bought a MacBook. I've never regretted the decision for all the reasons you mentioned.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

All good points. 

It's not hard to keep a stable Windows machine, especially with Windows 10 (although I HATE the forced automatic updates).  But it's pretty effortless with a Mac.  Kudos to them for that.  It's the benefit you get for not being able to play around much under the hood. 

• Like 2

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

16 hours ago, retrofade said:

That's a good game, much better then the crap simcity put out right before that one. I've probably spent a little too much time playing Cities: Skylines.

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

I was a Windows guy forever until Windows 8. I hated the OS so much I sold the laptop after a couple of months and bought a MacBook. I've never regretted the decision for all the reasons you mentioned.

Windows 8 was a disaster. However, it was fairly stable. I've been running windows 10 on my PC and laptop for over a year now and I've never run into single problem with it yet.