fbpack

Nevada at large

57 minutes ago, Chrysis said:

Quinton Patton was their receiver then I remember, absolutely burned us

that LA tech football  team had the one of the best punters  in the nation.

Ryan Allen.

And he just got a 2nd ring with the Patriots.

And I think it was Sonny Dykes last year coaching there.

He went to Cal.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

As Trump might say" the system is rigged" SDSU from the MWC and St Mary's from the WCC were screwed last year from NCAA bids. I'm all for the other conferences getting a few more at large bids compared to the P5 conferences getting more credit than they deserve. I look at Georgia Tech listed as getting an at large NCAA bid and IMO they do not pass the eye test. IMO, SDSU CSU Nevada and BSU would be a  more interesting selection than Georgia Tech or some of the other P5 schools with crap records. Half the fun of the first rounds are the upsets of the P5 elites.:crying:

47 minutes ago, westfan said:

As Trump might say" the system is rigged" SDSU from the MWC and St Mary's from the WCC were screwed last year from NCAA bids. I'm all for the other conferences getting a few more at large bids compared to the P5 conferences getting more credit than they deserve. I look at Georgia Tech listed as getting an at large NCAA bid and IMO they do not pass the eye test. IMO, SDSU CSU Nevada and BSU would be a  more interesting selection than Georgia Tech or some of the other P5 schools with crap records. Half the fun of the first rounds are the upsets of the P5 elites.:crying:

San Diego State went 7-6 in non-conference play last year.  I don't care what conference you're in, that pretty much seals your fate.  Georgia Tech has beaten Florida State, North Carolina, and Notre Dame.  Those three wins are better than any MW team.

46 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

Not a chance in hell.  UNR only goes by winning the MWT.  This is and has been a one-bid league the entire year.  Nothing changes because you beat a shitty UNLV team. 

46 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

Not a chance in hell.  UNR only goes by winning the MWT.  This is and has been a one-bid league the entire year.  Nothing changes because you beat a shitty UNLV team. 

I see you feel very strongly about this!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you want an at large bid outside of a P5 conference, then play a schedule like Long Beach State.  Leave nothing to doubt.  They play so many good teams that they can withstand one or two not performing as expected.

And Long Beach has earned zero at-large bids to the NCAAs with that approach (although they were an at-large to the NIT last year).  non conference SOS doesn't help if you are losing all these games.

• Like 1

As long as Nevada is being discussed in bubble talk than they are a bubble team which CBS and ESPN still mention them.   And yes anything is possible,  likely no but anything is possible.

However this also goes into the overall comment I have made before is that mid-majors are at a disadvantage from the start in the whole process. They are held to a much higher standard than the big conferences and at the same time are penalized for the conferences they are in.

As for LBSU they did try that for one or two years but even their AD said that was sustainable mostly for costs money wise.

6 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Bingo. Your chance at an at-large evaporated with those losses.

No, not everything is possible. UNR does not have a resume for an at-large no matter what you do. Just win the auto-bid.

Most aren't counting the SDSU as a bad loss, 

21 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

And Long Beach has earned zero at-large bids to the NCAAs with that approach (although they were an at-large to the NIT last year).  non conference SOS doesn't help if you are losing all these games.

So what?  That's a winning mentality, and that's the kind of schedule you need to play.  If you want an at-large bid, then prove you belong.

5 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Maybe next year, they will schedule real teams in non-conference play.  CAL would be a realistic game.  So would USC.  They could get St. Mary's again.

If Nevada followed traditional agreements than I think they do get St. Mary's next year but this time in Reno.

However at the same time for many schools it isn't easy to build a OOC schedule. We just played Cal a few years ago in an OOC don't think they will be that quick to schedule another one.  USC also had no interest. It is not snap your fingers and people come knocking at your door to schedule you. Nevada had a very tough time getting an OOC schedule together when Fox was here because no one wanted to play us.

Next year if like I said traditional deals are in place we have @Pacific, St. Mary's, @ Loyola MM, and hopefully a home game for the MWC vs. MVC challenge.  Plus I don't know if Nevada got out of them after Carter left but I think we had a deal to play @ Wichita St again sometime in the future for another money game. 

But in an interview himself Musselman said that it is a world of difference between Pac-12 and Nevada not only for facilities but also scheduling wise and how much more difficult it is than working for an Arizona St

9 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

The non-P5 schools aren't penalized.  That's a bunch of bullshit.  They do have less chances for quality wins, but they can go for a Long Beach State route to try and build a resume.  Focus on the non-conference schedule which is under your control.

You can say that with a straight face? with all the evidence that is out there including Lunardi and Palm who say yes mid-majors are penalized especially once in conference play. You can only control so much with your OOC if teams don't want to play you what are you suppose to do?

1 minute ago, TheDoggFather said:

This is a 1-bid league. As a conference, the best hope is Nevada because then you might get a decent enough seed to win a game. If Fresno State goes on a run, it will be all the way to a 14 or 15 seed...enough to get corn-holed in round 1 again.

Yeah that would erase all doubts, most of the brackets I have seen have placed Nevada as a 12 seed, there was on bracket as long as a 13 and one bracket as high as a 10

4 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

You can say that with a straight face? with all the evidence that is out there including Lunardi and Palm who say yes mid-majors are penalized especially once in conference play. You can only control so much with your OOC if teams don't want to play you what are you suppose to do?

Schedule a lot of big games in non-conference play, win a few of them, and don't slip up in conference play.  Gonzaga seems to have figured that out.