wolfpack1

This is messed up

Wichita St and Illinois St finished tied on top of the Missouri Valley Conference. Wichita St beat Illinois St earlier this year but if an article I read is correct,

Illinois St will be the #1 in their tournament because their RPI will be higher than Wichita St

I mean seeding really doesn't matter for tournaments but really they beat them head to head

That is indeed the case.  Wichita State split the two games with Illinois State and both are co-champs of the MVC, but RPI is a tiebreaker for the tourney.

http://www.goshockers.com/news/2017/2/25/mens-basketball-wsu-secures-fourth-mvc-title-with-win-at-msu.aspx

Co-leader Illinois State finished off Northern Iowa on Saturday afternoon to claim its own share of the title. The Redbirds own the tiebreaker for the top seed by virtue of a higher RPI.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

That is indeed the case.  Wichita State split the two games with Illinois State and both are co-champs of the MVC, but RPI is a tiebreaker for the tourney.

http://www.goshockers.com/news/2017/2/25/mens-basketball-wsu-secures-fourth-mvc-title-with-win-at-msu.aspx

Co-leader Illinois State finished off Northern Iowa on Saturday afternoon to claim its own share of the title. The Redbirds own the tiebreaker for the top seed by virtue of a higher RPI.

Makes sense to me. RPI should matter and did here. 

On 2/26/2017 at 0:03 AM, wolfpack1 said:

Wichita St and Illinois St finished tied on top of the Missouri Valley Conference. Wichita St beat Illinois St earlier this year but if an article I read is correct,

Illinois St will be the #1 in their tournament because their RPI will be higher than Wichita St

I mean seeding really doesn't matter for tournaments but really they beat them head to head

The 2 teams split the games they played.  Each team won at home.

And yes, ISU is a bubble team at 24-5.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 2/26/2017 at 11:41 AM, wolfpack1 said:

From what i have read from some people Wichita St is a bubble team but not so much for Illinois St

After their tourney performance last year, Wichita will get the at large.  Let's not kid ourselves, it's somewhat of a reward system.  

WSU will get in. They have too much tourney cred not to.

Suddenly had that great memory of playing the Shockers in Wichy a few years ago or so and they had something like a 30 game winning streak at home, and in front of a monster crowd, we kicked their assses!!!! Well, maybe that's too far but we beat them. 

Just looked it up. Holy crap time flies. That was in 2010.  We won 74-70. 

• Like 1

kat.jpg

46 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Suddenly had that great memory of playing the Shockers in Wichy a few years ago or so and they had something like a 30 game winning streak at home, and in front of a monster crowd, we kicked their assses!!!! Well, maybe that's too far but we beat them. 

Unfortunately, we played them last year and they kicked our ass!

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

It was the NIT I believe, the following game we lost to Rhode Island I think by 2 points as well.

Most of the brackets i am seeing is showing Wichita St either in the last 4 in column or the first four out. I think Lunardi is the only bracket where he has them safely in the field; however I do believe they are in the field this year no matter what happens in the conference tournament.

On 2/26/2017 at 2:14 AM, crixus said:

Makes sense to me. RPI should matter and did here. 

crixus... your avatar is freakin hilarious! :rotflmfao:

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

24 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

That was it. That RI game was so close IIRC. That was a he11 of a long way to travel. 

For our basketball team I think they just took a flight from Wichita to Rhode Island I think, might be wrong there. I remember that was the year when Groth said Nevada wouldn't be able to host any NIT games because of previous engagments.

30 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

That was it. That RI game was so close IIRC. That was a he11 of a long way to travel. 

That was a weird game. I remember that Rhode Island shut down Babbitt, but they had trouble getting back on defense and Babbitt kept making long inbound passes to Fields for points. 

It really is too bad that we didn't accomplish more with Babbitt and Johnson.

• Like 1

Babbitt was here only two years with Johnson on three but did win 20+ games in those season and played in post season basketball but did get tripped up in the WAC Tourney to New Mexico St twice and Utah St once in those years. I think if they both decided to stay they and the team could have done better things.

And for leaving early Johnson only played two years in the NBA while Babbitt I believe is still playing.

As for the Rhode Island game, I think Nevada was double digit underdogs in that game and I think they also had a shot to win the game but the three pointing clanked out.

14 hours ago, aztech said:

After their tourney performance last year, Wichita will get the at large.  Let's not kid ourselves, it's somewhat of a reward system.  

I'd have to agree with you.  I don't think they should be in the conversation for an at-large.