BodyBagGame

If BYU beats the #1 team in the country

2 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

We have enough talent to beat either team. 

That said, if we win the tournament, an NCAA bid would be undeserved, as our regular season performance doesn't warrant a trip to the dance.

Come on Jack. Anyone who wins the conference tournament deserves to go dancing.  Don't be one of those guys.  WCC has two top 25 teams.  You beat them both in 3/4 days you ( or anyone else ) deserves it.  This is basketball not football.  You don't have to slit your wrists due to an early loss.  Get fired up for your tournament.  Mormons verse the Christians. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

All 19 of their fans?  Sad deal. 

I've noted much more cordial fan interactions in the WCC than we had here.

Exactly.  You're not going to find many Pepperdine, LMU or Santa Clara fans who have a beef with BYU - and vice versa.  But those things take time to develop, and it's only been six years.

3 minutes ago, slappy said:

Come on Jack. Anyone who wins the conference tournament deserves to go dancing.  Don't be one of those guys.  WCC has two top 25 teams.  You beat them both in 3/4 days you ( or anyone else ) deserves it.  This is basketball not football.  You don't have to slit your wrists due to an early loss.  Get fired up for your tournament.  Mormons verse the Christians. 

I've always said the regular season tells who the team is much better than a 3 game tournament.  We've lost to Utah Valley, Santa Clara, San Diego, and Pepperdine this year; by double digits in many cases.  We don't really deserve it, those teams have poor records and poor RPIs, and I'd feel bad for whatever bubble team gets knocked out if we did that.  Conference tournaments are fun, but I think regular season performance should be what warrants postseason performance. 

NCAA basketball is weird in that many one bid leagues have another team win their league conf tourney that didn't win their regular season.  It's the only sport where your regular season performance doesn't mean anything in that case.  If Nevada wins your league this year, they should get to rep your league at the NCAA tourney, even if they get knocked off in your league tourney by New Mexico.

6 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Exactly.  You're not going to find many Pepperdine, LMU or Santa Clara fans who have a beef with BYU - and vice versa.  But those things take time to develop, and it's only been six years.

The only appreciable amount of fans in this league is between Gonzaga and BYU.  The rest of the teams get their small arenas taken over by BYU and Gonzaga fans when those two teams are in town.  The interactions I've had have been great with fans from other schools and they're appreciative of BYUtv using it's resources to televise the early MBB conf tourney games, and the entire WBB tourney.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I've always said the regular season tells who the team is much better than a 3 game tournament.  We've lost to Utah Valley, Santa Clara, San Diego, and Pepperdine this year; by double digits in many cases.  We don't really deserve it, those teams have poor records and poor RPIs, and I'd feel bad for whatever bubble team gets knocked out if we did that.  Conference tournaments are fun, but I think regular season performance should be what warrants postseason performance. 

NCAA basketball is weird in that many one bid leagues have another team win their league conf tourney that didn't win their regular season.  It's the only sport where your regular season performance doesn't mean anything in that case.  If Nevada wins your league this year, they should get to rep your league at the NCAA tourney, even if they get knocked off in your league tourney by New Mexico.

Good thing is that I still agree with about zero of the things you post.  I feel better now.  Good luck in your tournament. 

11 minutes ago, slappy said:

Good thing is that I still agree with about zero of the things you post.  I feel better now.  Good luck in your tournament. 

Instead, why not forego the regular season for some of these leagues and just play the 3 game tourney instead.  Makes sense, right?

It's ok if you don't agree with me.  I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

USF people think BYU people are assholes. It only took a couple seasons for BYU to assume their regular position. 

USF brings a grand total of 20 fans to the WCC Tourney every year, and once USF gets eliminated, their fans all change T Shirts and pretend to be Gonzaga fans.  It's a running joke at the tournament.  They apparently have a major inferiority complex to Saint Mary's, so that's why they pretend to be Gonzaga fans.  Saddest fanbase in the WCC.

Guest #1Stunner
47 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

The only appreciable amount of fans in this league is between Gonzaga and BYU.  The rest of the teams get their small arenas taken over by BYU and Gonzaga fans when those two teams are in town.  The interactions I've had have been great with fans from other schools and they're appreciative of BYUtv using it's resources to televise the early MBB conf tourney games, and the entire WBB tourney.

Santa Clara is starting to emerge.  They had pretty good fan support all season.  They made a great hire, with Herb.  The will be a very good team over the next few years.

Agreed, the WCC fans love BYUtv broadcasting the games.

Guest #1Stunner
18 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

27 fans. All 27 fans. Get it right. 

And you can't blame them. The Death Penalty in the 80s was a death blow to the program they never recovered from and there's too many drugs, loose women, and dive bars in San Francisco to care about obscure Catholic league basketball. 

They're a bunch of rich people anyway. They probably just laugh at you. 

I'm not sure about the academics rankings between USF and Saint Mary's, but there was trash talk between the two groups, each calling the other a "safety school".  USF fans obsess over Saint Mary's, not BYU.

Most of the USF fans that come to the tournament are all old people....I've never seen any USF students.  In contrast, Saint Mary's will bring a lot of students when they are good.

Now, I will say this for USF, they were the biggest surprise in the WCC this season.  They hired a good coach.  He's changed their offense to really focus on 3 point shooting.  I think USF could be really good in a year or two.  The WCC schools all hired some very good coaches.

Guest #1Stunner
37 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

They might obsess over St. Mary's in basketball but they just kind of mock BYU or make shitty comments (many probably justified) about your fans. St. Mary's fans have more of an attitude toward USF people than vice-versa though. USF's historical rival was Santa Clara but both have been terrible forever so nobody cares. 

Honestly, that's just it. Nobody cares about USF basketball. The War gets students when they play Gonzaga and the Zags are ranked, and marginal crowds when St. Mary's shows up. If they started winning consistently though, that place would sell out and become an insanely hot ticket because that's the most fair-weather sports city in the country. Hell, earlier this year when they came out of that Hawaii tourney with a win over the Utes and someone else, and they were riding high, the whole front row of the War for the game against I think Gonzaga was filled with the City's powerbrokers, including the mayor and others. But until they start winning on a consistent basis the gym will be about 1/3 full chock full of bluehairs from the Bill Cartwright days because most of the Russell crowd is probably dead. 

They did hire a good coach this year. Exceeded my (low) expectations. But Rex Walters looked good initially too. If they can build off of this they could really get something going there. It's happened before. But I won't get my hopes up. 

When do you graduate?   Would you be interested in working for the Dons after graduation?   We need someone with smarts who can set Dons Athletics on fire, and get the Dons basketball team back to greatness.  If it takes a Wyoming Cowboy to do it, then I'm on board.

Guest #1Stunner
47 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Why is this a thread on this board? 

I don't hate BYU but keep your shit on a separate board. 

You'e expressed your outrage that a BYU vs Gonzaga thread was started on the MWC Board.

Maybe you should bother to read who started the thread:

54 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Why is this a thread on this board? 

I don't hate BYU but keep your shit on a separate board. 

Because SDSU played the Zags and BYU is family?

9 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

If Nevada wins your league this year, they should get to rep your league at the NCAA tourney, even if they get knocked off in your league tourney by New Mexico.

I really hope you didn't just predict the tourney.