4UNLV

Nevada at UNLV

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

You can live in your bubble, but look no further than Menzies' post game comments.

He pretty much telegraphed that some of these guys aren't sticking around. Not just his comments on the roster but specifically that some players do not understand the UNLV brand. He seems pretty unsettled by the lack of progress with these guys and you might say he's lost some of the players. They'll need to go. 

Given that, I still think we're looking at 3-4 additional newcomers in the offseason at minimum in addition to those that already committed. Should be much more talented and deeper roster next year.

Menzies and co. chief asset ( like Dave Rice) is recruiting and he'll need to upgrade the talent pool significantly next year. I don't have any doubt about Menzies getting talent. 

46 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

True, and I never said we would have ever accomplished that.  Congrats on being an A-pipe 

I see most of your comments on this thread have been very civil but I took the "half of them were Duke fans" jab as a bit of smack talk so I responded in kind.  

Also, you've referred to me as an ass-pipe? and you called Roscoe's Dad "bro". Just saying the road you're on may not be as high as you think.  

41 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I see most of your comments on this thread have been very civil but I took the "half of them were Duke fans" jab as a bit of smack talk so I responded in kind.  

Also, you've referred to me as an ass-pipe? and you called Roscoe's Dad "bro". Just saying the road you're on may not be as high as you think.  

Fair enough and it was a half jab so your response was warranted. My bad...I do try to be respectful but do fall short of that goal often.  As for the road I'm on I completely realize I can't control or worry about what people think of me.

Again I do apologize for playing the name calling game.  I enjoy a bit of smack talking, but personal attacks, from me, are lame.

11 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

Fair enough and it was a half jab so your response was warranted. My bad...I do try to be respectful but do fall short of that goal often.  As for the road I'm on I completely realize I can't control or worry about what people think of me.

Again I do apologize for playing the name calling game.  I enjoy a bit of smack talking, but personal attacks, from me, are lame.

:cheers:

14 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

No hes not.

Why would he clean house?

I can see guys like Poyser and Clyburn bouncing, but Mooring and the freshmen need to stay.

Dwayne Morgan healthy and Johnson eligible.

Anthony Smith should contribute right away.

Bring in Lamine Diane and McCoy and you have a pretty damn solid roster...at least a middle of the pack MWC team.

You don't just keep hitting the reset button every year. You rally around the pieces you do have and then go from there.

He's barely 10 months on the job. Hitting reset once again would set the program right back to where it was last offseason unless he lands some huge transfers and remaining recruits.

I don't see MM clearing the roster either -

UNLV loses Uche Ofoegbu, Tyrell Green & Christian Jones as seniors & there's no real loss in those three

I think  Cheickna Dembele  Dwayne Morgan Jovan Mooring Zion Morgan Kris Clyburn all return 

Troy Baxter Jr. Jalen Poyser Djordjije Sljivancanin Ben Coupet Jr. - Any of these players could transfer.....of this group, I'd prefer to keep Baxter of all of them

Biggest question is WTF happened to Poyser as the season moved from non-conference to MWC games........Poyser just had the wheels come off. Not sure if it's a mental thing or a coaching thing but it might be the cause for Poyser to move on.

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

He pretty much telegraphed that some of these guys aren't sticking around. Not just his comments on the roster but specifically that some players do not understand the UNLV brand. He seems pretty unsettled by the lack of progress with these guys and you might say he's lost some of the players. They'll need to go. 

Given that, I still think we're looking at 3-4 additional newcomers in the offseason at minimum in addition to those that already committed. Should be much more talented and deeper roster next year.

Menzies and co. chief asset ( like Dave Rice) is recruiting and he'll need to upgrade the talent pool significantly next year. I don't have any doubt about Menzies getting talent. 

One selling point MM has to recruits is that they can get on the court right away and potentially have a solid 3 or 4 year run with a lot of playing time.......there isn't one starting spot spoken for going into next season 

Marvin Menzies must tear up UNLV roster and start over

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/columns/ed-graney/marvin-menzies-must-tear-unlv-roster-and-start-over

Excepts from the column:

Marvin Menzies was a beaten man beyond just a scoreboard Saturday, the raw honesty of his emotional words rightly painting a picture of UNLV basketball in its current grim and unforgiving state.

Major changes are coming, and that shouldn’t surprise anyone who has watched UNLV.

Recruiting will dictate how large the renovation becomes for a UNLV team that has one signee and one oral commitment thus far for next season.

When hired in April, Menzies signed bodies to fill out uniforms and field a team. Now, he needs to sign more legitimate ones to build a program, as many as he can before deciding which current names have a place.

It can be brutal. I would think freshman Cheickna Dembele and juniors Jovan Mooring and Kris Clyburn are in those plans. Jordan Johnson, sitting out a transfer year from Milwaukee, will have one season remaining to fill the point guard spot.

I have no idea about anyone else. How could you? Some will survive — you still need enough bodies to practice — but to believe many others will play a major role, or any for that matter, isn’t realistic for a side that is 10-19 overall and last at 3-13 in a terrible Mountain West.

Coaches handle these things different ways, but there is almost always a discussion about how, while the program will most often renew a player’s scholarship if he has taken care of business in the classroom and been a model citizen and given maximum effort in practice and games, there is also a great chance he would never play another second for the team.

In other words, you make it easy for the kid to decide his fate and move on.

“We’re bad,” Menzies said. “I’m not going to say too much because I don’t want to say the wrong things. We have a long ways to go, obviously. I know what we’re doing works, but it is not working with this group.”

I feel better with Menzies comments. It shows that him and his staff are the alpha-males and that there is a system in place that you need to buy into in order to remain with this program. He is setting a foundation. With Rice, the culture was that "Hey big name recruit, come to UNLV and do whatever you want and you'll get drafted". That is what always bugged me about his reign. I know he was a good offensive coach from his days at BYU, but he couldn't reign in his players because of the players and the way UNLV recruited them.

I am optimistic that things will improve, especially with Jordan Johnson being with Coach Menzies all year running the point.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

I don't see MM clearing the roster either -

UNLV loses Uche Ofoegbu, Tyrell Green & Christian Jones as seniors & there's no real loss in those three

I think  Cheickna Dembele  Dwayne Morgan Jovan Mooring Zion Morgan Kris Clyburn all return 

Troy Baxter Jr. Jalen Poyser Djordjije Sljivancanin Ben Coupet Jr. - Any of these players could transfer.....of this group, I'd prefer to keep Baxter of all of them

Biggest question is WTF happened to Poyser as the season moved from non-conference to MWC games........Poyser just had the wheels come off. Not sure if it's a mental thing or a coaching thing but it might be the cause for Poyser to move on.

If the bottom four transfer, that is cleaning house to me.  You're telling four underclassmen that they're not good enough.

9 hours ago, Packman04 said:

F*#k both of you!

Just trying to get in on the make up beer!

9 hours ago, slappy said:

MM sounds a little overwhelmed with trying to be a HC at this level.  And nobody on that roster should be suiting up for a MW game.  They are low level D1 kids and D2 kids.  

That's absolutely false.  There are some players who belong.  Cheickna Dembele was recruited by Baylor, Michigan State, and Syracuse.