toonkee

Private Sector run Prisons

You can argue all day long that the private sector can run things better than the government but seriously, should incarcerating people and taking their freedom away be motivated by profit?

Hell no!

This isn't the same as outsourcing tech development or a construction project. This is a responsibility the state must bear.

• Like 5

I'm to lazy to research but have there been any reports that we are expanding private prisons?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I realize most of you probably think of mother jones as a pinko commie rag (a fair assessment), but this is one hell of a brave piece of journalism:

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/cca-private-prisons-corrections-corporation-inmates-investigation-bauer

its long, but articulates exactly the abuse private-run prisons make possible. 

Idaho really sucked at it, and got into some deep shit because of how the private companies ran our prisons. 

• Like 1

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

5 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I'm to lazy to research but have there been any reports that we are expanding private prisons?

WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General Jeff Sessions has signaled his support for the federal government's use of private prisons, rescinding a memo meant to phase out their use.

Sessions issued a new memo Thursday replacing one issued last August by Sally Yates, the deputy attorney general at the time.

That memo told the Bureau of Prisons to begin reducing and ultimately end its use of privately run prisons. She said the facilities were less well run than those managed by the Bureau of Prisons, and were less necessary given declines in the overall prison population.

About the first move Sessions made as AG.........rescind Obama's move away from private prisons 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/justice-department-will-again-use-private-prisons/2017/02/23/da395d02-fa0e-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html?utm_term=.9e2fd41f1f6f

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

Idaho really sucked at it, and got into some deep shit because of how the private companies ran our prisons. 

Odd you mentions Idaho - photo in WaPo article !! 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/justice-department-will-again-use-private-prisons/2017/02/23/da395d02-fa0e-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html?utm_term=.9e2fd41f1f6f

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General Jeff Sessions has signaled his support for the federal government's use of private prisons, rescinding a memo meant to phase out their use.

Sessions issued a new memo Thursday replacing one issued last August by Sally Yates, the deputy attorney general at the time.

That memo told the Bureau of Prisons to begin reducing and ultimately end its use of privately run prisons. She said the facilities were less well run than those managed by the Bureau of Prisons, and were less necessary given declines in the overall prison population.

About the first move Sessions made as AG.........rescind Obama's move away from private prisons 

Thanks

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

So the old memo is a whole 6 months old? From a lame duck administration? Stop acting like this new action by Sessions overrides years of precedent.  

Just now, roswellcoug said:

So the old memo is a whole 6 months old? From a lame duck administration? Stop acting like this new action by Sessions overrides years of precedent.  

Figured it wouldn't be long until you goose stepped to the defense of totalitarianism !!! 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

What a tragedy! I'm sure we all agree the government has been doing such a bang up job with the prison system.

We need better government. Prisons should run at a loss. Shareholder value isn't the answer here.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

What a tragedy! I'm sure we all agree the government has been doing such a bang up job with the prison system.

The goal of the prison system should be to reduce crime and recidivism. Private prisons make money based on how many prisoners they house. I agree that neither goal is being met currently, but privatizing the joint makes the problem worse.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

The goal of the prison system should be to reduce crime and recidivism. Private prisons make money based on how many prisoners they house. I agree that neither goal is being met currently, but privatizing the joint makes the problem worse.

Private prisons are the fastest way to a police state............prisoners drive profit, so they need prisoners, so more "trumped" up charges & longer sentences.........taxpayers stuck funding private prison industry 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

Private prisons are the fastest way to a police state............prisoners drive profit, so they need prisoners, so more "trumped" up charges & longer sentences.........taxpayers stuck funding private prison industry 

Yep. One of the worst aspects of that mj article I posted earlier was that the prison would use any excuse to extend a prisoner's sentence. one minute late to something, tack on a month. Get in a minor fight or argument, tack on a month. Federal and state prisons can't get away with that, but private ones, especially in deep red states like Louisiana (the subject of the article), did it with impunity.

• Like 1

Recidivism Rate For California Offenders Drops Again

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 | Sacramento, CA 

tomsaint / Flickr

tomsaint / Flickr

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation reports the recidivism rate during the fiscal year 2009-2010 was 54 percent.

The CDCR says the rate at which inmates released from state prison returned to state custody has trended downward since 2005 when it was 67 percent.

The report cites a combination of substance abuse treatment and recovery in helping some offenders stay out of prison.

It says the return-to-prison rate was 21 percent for offenders who received both in-prison treatment and care after their release.

The CDCR says an offender is counted as a recidivist if he or she is returned to state prison for a new crime or for a parole violation within a three-year period.

The CDCR 2014 Outcome Evaluation Reportshows that following the implementation of California’s Public Safety Realignment Act, there are fewer offenders who are eligible to return to state prison for parole violations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 is the latest info. I found, and according to the article it's good news for California. I'm not sure if this includes privately run prisons, but I think it does because all prisoners in our state get a CDCR #. After that some are contracted out to the privately run prison$.