mugtang

WTF - access for the press being denied by the regime

12 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

@halfmanhalfbronco actually is pretty intelligent and this rarely argues in false equivalences from what I've seen. He doesn't need that crutch because he can reason, even if he's wrong. Unfortunately that's not the case for most Trumpkins on here.

I am wrong often but I enjoy honest discourse from those who enjoy the opportunity to prove me wrong through reason.  It is like pretty average coke.  I get excited engaging with intelligent people who might prove me wrong.  That process of engaging in critical thought, presenting your side to the best of your ability and ultimately conceding that you are wrong is why I come here.  Getting "beat" (arbitrary because good conversations like that have no winners or losers) just makes me more informed, which awesome.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Let me repeat. since you had trouble hearing me....

Not sure that there is much difference between the internet news media (like Breitbart) and the traditional media anymore.

Increasingly, the traditional media is become more preposterous, and Brietbart-esque.  They are simply advocating for a side, not even trying to be unbiased, and are doing nothing but editorializing and evangelizing their political stances to their readership (in the mold of preposterous "new media" like Breitbart).    The "true believers" (many on this board, for both the political right and left) are craving this stuff, almost with a religious fervor to "score points" against the other side.   So it is (a) biased media article vs (b) biased media article.

What a joke.

One difference between Breitbart and the traditional media is that Breitbart was allowed in.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

This may be my favorite line... "Trump himself has served as an anonymous source on occasion."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/cnn-new-york-times-other-media-barred-from-white-house-briefing/2017/02/24/4c22f542-fad5-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html?utm_term=.5bb612f80a73

Every journalist at some point (in many cases, regularly) is told something by a a source, reports that something word for word as an anonymous or unnamed source, and then is berated publicly by that person for publishing false information. I wouldn't be that shocked to learn all these leaks are coming from Trump HIMSELF.

• Like 4

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

15 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

This may be my favorite line... "Trump himself has served as an anonymous source on occasion."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/cnn-new-york-times-other-media-barred-from-white-house-briefing/2017/02/24/4c22f542-fad5-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html?utm_term=.5bb612f80a73

Every journalist at some point (in many cases, regularly) is told something by a a source, reports that something word for word as an anonymous or unnamed source, and then is berated publicly by that person for publishing false information. I wouldn't be that shocked to learn all these leaks are coming from Trump HIMSELF.

Lol. How does the next conversation in private go when you talk to that source again? Do you call them an asshole?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

7 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

How does the next conversation in private go when you talk to that source again?

It depends on the person and how they go about it. You can't take things personally when you cover these knuckleheads as a reporter. 

• Like 2

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

1st Amendment getting crushed.

Just to be clear, nobody got arrested or denied their civil rights here. But what happened is still pretty damn scary and unprecedented in modern times. Our country is only great when we have transparency and free scrutiny of the government. 

• Like 3

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

6 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

I mean, well, of course. 

This website is absolute gold.  

I look forward to your independent non partisan future takes. Lmfao.  

You might want to take a look in the mirror. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

24 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Hey - you stole my thread!!! LOL

I merged them but your thread title was better so I used it :ph34r:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Amen brother.

It appears that there are zealots out there (right and left), who are "true believers" in their blue team / red team tribes.

But the moderates can see it what it is.

We had two buffoons running for President this past election.  Too bad we couldn't get a real leader elected.

I hate the "both sides do it" argument.  It is such bullcrap and it is an attempt to normalize fringe right wing behavior and crappy journalists use it as an excuse to give the fringe right so they don't get attacked by the brown shirts for having a liberal bias....aka as not reporting alternative facts.

Who is the extreme left zealots?   People who basically want the USA to have universal government administered healthcare like the rest of the world, fair trade, or accountability when minorities are killed or treated unfairly?  While I am sure you can link to a good token case of "left wing zealot" with fringe views the difference is they are pretty much dismissed and have no political power in the Democratic party.  The Democratic party has basically absorbed all of the moderate Republicans from the 80s and 90s and become a watered down triangulated Clinton party where standing up for workers over multinationals and trying to get healthcare is considered being a zealot!  WTF?!?  The Democratic party is way to the right of the FDR Democratic party and the Republicans are bat shit crazy.   A Democrat with FDR style leanings who wants to expand healthcare, renegotiate trade agreements, not do the "wink wink" racist agenda, and strengthen social security is now considered on the fringe!

No....the right wing has taken over this county and dragged the debate far to the right/racist and those who have simply remained where they have always been politically are now further away from embracing them.  Their movement has caused polarization.  It isn't like Castro, Mao, and Lenin have suddenly made huge inroads on the left and the democrats are moving in that direction.  The fringes are just saying we should be more like Sweden, LOL. EXTREME for sure. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
Posted Image

13 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Explain why.  If you can't articulate why, then you really don't have anything valid to say.

I don't think it is ridculous to make the easy observation that traditional media is becoming more "Breitbart-esqe" everyday, and that their readers are craving the editorializing, and biased reporting, so they can "score points" against the other side.

I used to like CNN, but its been pretty obvious that ever since they hired the guy from NBC that they turned into another "Fox News", almost going more biased than Fox, believe it or not.

All cable news is shit and has been for a very long time. I won't defend them, even if they're a wholly different animal than Breitbart. But it's laughable to compare the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, or just about any other mainstream newspaper, big or small, to Breitbart.

Breitbart is purely propaganda with no news value. real news organizations have very little in common with it, and to suggest that they're similar in any way obfuscates the issue.

• Like 5

Guest #1Stunner
5 hours ago, Akkula said:

I hate the "both sides do it" argument.  It is such bullcrap and it is an attempt to normalize fringe right wing behavior and crappy journalists use it as an excuse to give the fringe right so they don't get attacked by the brown shirts for having a liberal bias....aka as not reporting alternative facts.

Who is the extreme left zealots?   People who basically want the USA to have universal government administered healthcare like the rest of the world, fair trade, or accountability when minorities are killed or treated unfairly?  While I am sure you can link to a good token case of "left wing zealot" with fringe views the difference is they are pretty much dismissed and have no political power in the Democratic party.  The Democratic party has basically absorbed all of the moderate Republicans from the 80s and 90s and become a watered down triangulated Clinton party where standing up for workers over multinationals and trying to get healthcare is considered being a zealot!  WTF?!?  The Democratic party is way to the right of the FDR Democratic party and the Republicans are bat shit crazy.   A Democrat with FDR style leanings who wants to expand healthcare, renegotiate trade agreements, not do the "wink wink" racist agenda, and strengthen social security is now considered on the fringe!

No....the right wing has taken over this county and dragged the debate far to the right/racist and those who have simply remained where they have always been politically are now further away from embracing them.  Their movement has caused polarization.  It isn't like Castro, Mao, and Lenin have suddenly made huge inroads on the left and the democrats are moving in that direction.  The fringes are just saying we should be more like Sweden, LOL. EXTREME for sure. :rolleyes:

There are plenty examples of the left doing stupid things as well.   Look at the State of California Democrats as one example.  Trying to coerce other States to change laws they don't like...  The laws passed in the States they don't like have not been ruled unconstitutional.  But they are demanding that the voters of those States conform their laws to the values of the constituents of California, or they will implement economic sanctions.  Is that good Democracy?  You think California voters should control laws in other States by threatening economic sanctions?

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-uc-lgbt-02212017-story.html

Also, the way the Obama Administration / Left handled the whole transgender bathroom issue was another terrible move.  They tried to legislate via an executive order, without allowing a public debate or comment.  This always backfires.  They should have allowed the transgender laws to be passed by States, and then challenged in Courts.  Let the Court interpret Title IX.  People accept the democratic process.  They won't accept executive orders, interpreting Title IX.

Also, look at the left wing argument and media portrayal of the oil pipeline.  A false narrative that the pipeline will be dumping raw crude oil on sacred Indian lands.  In reality, a pipeline won't even go onto Indian land, only goes on private property via negotiated contracts, and is much better for the environment, as it removes thousands of polluting trucks from the road ways.  Without the pipeline, the oil companies will just transfer the same oil with eighteen wheelers.  Why is transferring oil via thousands of polluting trucks a better idea?

Also, some of the liberal left are too focused on belittling and attacking religious people.  Constant belittling of Religion.  They think they are being clever. This is a very dumb idea....It only drove thousands of voters to vote for an idiot, Donald Trump.  What you call "token cases" is just your opinion.  Religious people aren't going to be bullied into dropping their religion, or not wanting society and public policy to reflect their values.  When in the history of the world has that ever happened?  I guess liberals think they can avoid history on Religion...

Now....Don't get me wrong.  I can rip on Republicans all day too...

Please don't take offense, but I think you are just paying attention to your tribe, assuming your group is all rational and fair, and that the other tribe is the crazy one.   This is the "true believers" approach, and is the media's (right and left) bread and butter.  People crave the confirmation bias media sources.  The media is making loads of money by driving a wedge deeper between the moderate political views.

5 hours ago, Akkula said:

The "only one side has zealots" argument isn't any better, and perhaps worse than, the "both sides do it argument!

• Like 1

The World Needs More Cowboys!