Rosegreen

TKM & Co. called to the carpet.

On Thursday, the Board of Regents Athletics Committee did not want to hear excuses from UNLV brass.

“There’s some serious problems with UNLV athletics,” Regent Trevor Hayes said. “I think it’s irresponsible to pinpoint it solely on performances on basketball, which is a completely self-inflicted wound by a botched basketball coaching firing and search.

“The bigger issue is, and I want to know from President (Len) Jessup two things. You came two years ago to the most successful athletic program we have had in 20 years, and in two years it is now the least successful it has been in the entire history of the institution. How did that happen, and how will you turn it around?”

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/regent-scolds-unlv-president-athletic-department-s-budget-deficit

Kunzer-Murphy said not having a $1 million game during the 2016 football season hurt the income. UNLV football is expected to get big payouts for playing Ohio State in September and Southern California in 2018.

that'll help

2 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Kunzer-Murphy said not having a $1 million game during the 2016 football season hurt the income. UNLV football is expected to get big payouts for playing Ohio State in September and Southern California in 2018.

that'll help

Counting on body bag games to float your athletics spells doom.  Look at Hawaii.  They almost shuttered their football program.  

I hate to to see all these MW schools unable to compete financially.  We should have a minimum and cut the dead weight like this. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, slappy said:

Asked the prez about wins and he responded that Sanchez got some money donated.  

It's gonna only get worse.  I don't see it getting better until your in a conference you can financially compete in.  

Sanchez got blown out by Reno in the final game. What happens? Reno fires their coach and Sanchez gets an extension. 

(Cue the twilight zone music. )

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, slappy said:

Counting on body bag games to float your athletics spells doom.  Look at Hawaii.  They almost shuttered their football program.  

I hate to to see all these MW schools unable to compete financially.  We should have a minimum and cut the dead weight like this. 

It's not like they haven't landed p5 opponents for home games over the last decade.  They got UCLA at home in 2015, Arizona in 2013, Minnesota and Wazzu in 2012.  Even hosted Wisconsin in 2010.  They can get home and home's.

19 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

that'll help

It won't help.

This year UNLV got the Beard buyout at 1 million and TKM was still way off on projected losses by 1.8 million. Totaling near 5 million in the hole.

21 minutes ago, slappy said:

Because Wyoming or any other conference member is swimming in money??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Hopefully the new AD can actually run a legit department and clean up all of messes Tina has left behind. 

At the very least UNLV learned from last years basketball coach search fiasco and hired a search firm to help in the process. Whether the committee listens to the firm is another matter. I don't know if the job is attractive enough with MBB coach on the hook for 4 more years contractually and a HS FB coach already extended to 2021. 

The elephant in the room is the Golden Knights hockey team setting up shop 3-4 miles away, and that's going to eat at UNLVs revenue and grip as the only team in town. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Because Wyoming or any other conference member is swimming in money??

Nobody is swimming in money.  

What we are talking about is funds and priorities relative to other MW schools    

There is a divide in finances and priorities in this conference.  Whether you would like to believe it or not, that is fine.  

Las Vegas is going to struggle in the MW until they can increase funding and change their priorities.  I am pulling for them.  I just believe they belong in a different conference.  one where they can compete financially.  

8 hours ago, slappy said:

Asked the prez about wins and he responded that Sanchez got some money donated.  

It's gonna only get worse.  I don't see it getting better until your in a conference you can financially compete in.  

Your laughable.  Las Vegas vs Laramie.  We have way more money than you, and our location is better than yours on our worst day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

I think playing Ohio St. is the wrong approach only because it's such a physical game. That's not fair to Sanchez especially if players are lost for the season. Nevada is getting $1.3m to play Northwestern. 

It's not the wrong approach at all. We need the money, and we should play teams like this annually.  I also believe that playing better competition helps you.