fbpack

Updated Bracketology Nevada (Sacramento)

2 hours ago, cardrater said:

I wouldn't say zero chance. Nevada has a decent RPI. 25-6 puts them around 30-33 range. Win two in the tourney and they move to around 28-30. Lose in the title to either BSU or Col. St, Both top 100 in terms of RPI. If that happens Nevada will drop 7-8 spots putting them at around 35-38 and a 27-7 record. 

If if we lose another regular season game though it's basically over in terms of at-large.

We would need Boise to win out and be the one who beats us in the tourney final. That would bump their RPI enough to give us two top 50 wins.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

One site I went do doesn't show San Diego St as a bad loss, the bad losses they have for Nevada are Fresno St, Utah St and St. Mary's. However a couple of sites still does have Nevada as a bubble team needed to do some work, with one saying if Nevada wins out and gets to the final of the MWC tournament that might be just enough to get in as an at-large bid.

However another problem is the committee holds mid-majors to a lot higher standard than the Power 5 conferences its not funny anymore. Right now I think most agree only TWO mid-major schools should get in as an at-large into the tournament with those being St. Mary's and VCU/Dayton combo. (Right now Dayton as the at-large). Only one bracket I saw had three mid-major schools in the dance (St. Mary's, Dayton & Illinois St)

But problem is the committee already knows who they are going to put in the tournament no matter what happens and they lean toward the Power conferences because well they are big conferences just like with the college playoff. I mean you have teams from the power conferences that are 500 with losing records in their conference getting in because of the conference they are in. There was I want to say Wake Forest whose OOC SOS is in the 200s. To me I think OOC schedules should be waited a little higher and to the same standard for everyone. When the excuse is this insert mid-major school had a bad loss in November then turn around and say insert power conference team did have a bad loss in November but that was at the beginning of the season and they are better now; right there tells you there are two different standards when picking teams for the tournament.

13 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

One site I went do doesn't show San Diego St as a bad loss, the bad losses they have for Nevada are Fresno St, Utah St and St. Mary's. However a couple of sites still does have Nevada as a bubble team needed to do some work, with one saying if Nevada wins out and gets to the final of the MWC tournament that might be just enough to get in as an at-large bid.

However another problem is the committee holds mid-majors to a lot higher standard than the Power 5 conferences its not funny anymore. Right now I think most agree only TWO mid-major schools should get in as an at-large into the tournament with those being St. Mary's and VCU/Dayton combo. (Right now Dayton as the at-large). Only one bracket I saw had three mid-major schools in the dance (St. Mary's, Dayton & Illinois St)

But problem is the committee already knows who they are going to put in the tournament no matter what happens and they lean toward the Power conferences because well they are big conferences just like with the college playoff. I mean you have teams from the power conferences that are 500 with losing records in their conference getting in because of the conference they are in. There was I want to say Wake Forest whose OOC SOS is in the 200s. To me I think OOC schedules should be waited a little higher and to the same standard for everyone. When the excuse is this insert mid-major school had a bad loss in November then turn around and say insert power conference team did have a bad loss in November but that was at the beginning of the season and they are better now; right there tells you there are two different standards when picking teams for the tournament.

Maybe the fact that their schools have better wins has something to do with it.

47 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Maybe the fact that their schools have better wins has something to do with it.

No I think in the end it really comes down to Big Conferences vs. Mid-Majors and some teams being awarded while others are penalized for the conference they are in

4 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I said they had no chance for an at-large bid after they lost to St. Mary's, and I was proven right.

I guarantee if we were 28-1 we would get an at-large.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

No I think in the end it really comes down to Big Conferences vs. Mid-Majors and some teams being awarded while others are penalized for the conference they are in

How is it being penalized when you've beaten nobody?  Gonzaga beat Arizona and Florida in non-conference play.  They will get a one seed, and they play in the WCC.  You should have played UNLV's non-conference schedule (plus Arizona who they asked to move back to next year).

6 hours ago, ph90702 said:

How is it being penalized when you've beaten nobody?  Gonzaga beat Arizona and Florida in non-conference play.  They will get a one seed, and they play in the WCC.  You should have played UNLV's non-conference schedule (plus Arizona who they asked to move back to next year).

Gonzaga was the lowest #1 seed and the chair has said they aren't guaranteed a 1 seed, if they lose in the WCC Tournament I don't think they will be put as a 1 seed. Mid-Majors are penalized because of their conference because once conference time starts your stock will start dropping unless you are in a big conference. Mid-majors are also penalized more if they do play name teams but then those teams turn out to have stinker years. There are teams that people are putting on the bubble where they have SOS for their non-conference schedule which is in the 200 or more but no one says anything about it.

The overall point I am making is that mid-major schools are held to a much higher standard and have a less margin of error than those from big conferences.

4 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Gonzaga was the lowest #1 seed and the chair has said they aren't guaranteed a 1 seed, if they lose in the WCC Tournament I don't think they will be put as a 1 seed. Mid-Majors are penalized because of their conference because once conference time starts your stock will start dropping unless you are in a big conference. Mid-majors are also penalized more if they do play name teams but then those teams turn out to have stinker years. There are teams that people are putting on the bubble where they have SOS for their non-conference schedule which is in the 200 or more but no one says anything about it.

The overall point I am making is that mid-major schools are held to a much higher standard and have a less margin of error than those from big conferences.

That's because their conference competition sucks, and they have less chances to move the needle.