fbpack

Updated Bracketology Nevada (Sacramento)

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Is this assuming NV wins the conf tourney? Or is NV predicted as an at-large?

Conference tourney.  We have zero chance at an at-large. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

UNR has to win the MWT to go to the dance.  This has been a 1 bid league since November, and nothing has changed in regards to that.  I also doubt they put UNR in Sac-Town.  MWC doesn't deserve any favors this year.  It would not surprise me to see the MWT champ in one of the play-in games.  That's how bad this conference is this year.

18 minutes ago, Bob said:

even if you win out til the championship game and lose?

If our only conference losses had been to Fresno, maybe.  But getting blown out by USU and SDSU on the road blew up our at-large chances. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

28 minutes ago, Bob said:

even if you win out til the championship game and lose?

I wouldn't say zero chance. Nevada has a decent RPI. 25-6 puts them around 30-33 range. Win two in the tourney and they move to around 28-30. Lose in the title to either BSU or Col. St, Both top 100 in terms of RPI. If that happens Nevada will drop 7-8 spots putting them at around 35-38 and a 27-7 record. 

If if we lose another regular season game though it's basically over in terms of at-large.

14 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

UNR has to win the MWT to go to the dance.  This has been a 1 bid league since November, and nothing has changed in regards to that.  I also doubt they put UNR in Sac-Town.  MWC doesn't deserve any favors this year.  It would not surprise me to see the MWT champ in one of the play-in games.  That's how bad this conference is this year.

Isn't the play in for the last 4 in at-large?

15 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

Not sure, if that is the case then that certainly wouldn't happen because we will get no at-large.

IF the season ended today, then you you would be right. Still a lot of games left and if Nevada can finish 5-1thier outlook is way better than it is now.

2 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Chances of the NCAA committee allowing UNR to play as close to home as Sacramento are slim and none and slim has one foot out the door.

I disagree, just because there are so few western teams. Do you think the send a MWC team back east and send an eastern team to Sac?

52 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

Champ won't be in a play-in game unless it's a Sacramento State caliber team, and possibly not even then. There's the play-in for the 16 seed auto-bids and there's play-in for the last at-large teams. There's no play-in for a 12 seed auto-bid winner.

15 minutes ago, cardrater said:

IF the season ended today, then you you would be right. Still a lot of games left and if Nevada can finish 5-1thier outlook is way better than it is now.

Their resume is too weak to get an at-large.  There are no notable games left to raise their resume.   Beating up on a weak MWC doesn't improve their standing.  If the league wasn't so bad this year, I'd agree with you.  I just don't see how even winning out helps their chance at an at-large bid.  They are the best team in the MW imo.  They should have be able to pullout a conference tournament championship. 

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I disagree, just because there are so few western teams. Do you think the send a MWC team back east and send an eastern team to Sac?

The NCAA Committee protects the top 4 seeds against geography disadvantages. That all came about way back in 2003 when #3 seed Duke had to travel to Salt Lake City to play #14 CSU.  Coach K was upset because the whole Huntsman Center cheered for CSU that night and CSU came about a minute or so from pulling off the upset.

A 5-12 matchup is possible in Sacramento for Nevada but not likely.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

This is the voice of experience talking and since knowledge is power, you might want to take heed.

The MWC isn't what it once was only because its Big 3 left. That's also because the fools who comprise its decision making board have continued to allow Craig Thompson so eff up while they pay the guy north of 600 grand per year to do so. Among Thompson's follies was encouraging MWC schools to play the toughest OOC schedule possible so as to enhance their RPI. The theory was that it would help the conference's national visibility and in that limited sense for a couple seasons it did. Thompson's strategy helped the MWC get four teams in the 2012 NCAAs because the conference's RPI was so lofty. Not just higher than the Pac that season, higher than even the ACC. When not one of those four teams managed to get past the second round of the tournament the MWC and Thompson's strategy became a laughingstock and has been since. Credibility means a lot and ever since that season ended, the MWC has had next to none.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.