ph90702

Job Performance/Job Satisfaction

15 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I don't like my current job, and I feel that I can be great at what I'm doing as a result.  Does anybody else feel that you can't be great at a job if you don't like it?

Almost 3/4 of American workers are disengaged and/or dissatisfied in and with their job in some capacity, and this is estimated to cost our economy about a half trillion dollars in GDP each year. And a company with an engaged workforce is over 200% more productive than its competitors.

the_more_you_know_nbc.gif

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

3 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Almost 3/4 of American workers are disengaged and/or dissatisfied in and with their job in some capacity, and this is estimated to cost our economy about a half trillion dollars in GDP each year. And a company with an engaged workforce is over 200% more productive than its competitors.

But a disengaged work force is good for the mwcboard. 

• Like 9

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I never knew that, but it makes sense.

look at CostCo...it's just a retial job but they pay their employees well, all part and full time employess are offered full health insurance, paid time off, 401k, etc, etc, etc.

same for Ikea...

they invest in their employees so they have lower turnover and more productivity compared to their peers.

I wish more US companies understood this notion.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

look at CostCo...it's just a retial job but they pay their employees well, all part and full time employess are offered full health insurance, paid time off, 401k, etc, etc, etc.

same for Ikea...

they invest in their employees so they have lower turnover and more productivity compared to their peers.

Most do. That's why Costco and IKEA are as successful as they are. To entice and keep good people, you offer them competitive compensation.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

10 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

same for Ikea...

It's the same model In-N-Out Burger uses in the fast food world. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

12 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Might this be related to the increasing proportion of the workforce in service jobs as manufacturing moves off shore and/or is replaced by automation?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Might this be related to the increasing proportion of the workforce in service jobs as manufacturing moves off shore and/or is replaced by automation?

Good question. The data points to incompatibility with corporate culture as the single largest factor resulting in dissatisfied workers.

I did a job I literally dreaded for 3 years. It's not sustainable. Ask yourself what matters to you most - not what you like most or you can make the most money doing - and find a way to do that. It makes all the difference. For me anyway.

5 minutes ago, nomascows said:

I have done well in some jobs which I hated.  Liking your job makes it easier to do well but it isn't required.

Unless you're accountable to a board of directors to answer for why your competitors are outperforming you.

3 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I did a job I literally dreaded for 3 years. It's not sustainable. Ask yourself what matters to you most - not what you like most or you can make the most money doing - and find a way to do that. It makes all the difference. For me anyway.

The rates of attrition in our work culture are staggering. Nearly half of new hires leave their job within 18 months. The resultant aggregate cost to our GDP is enormous.

Just now, TheSanDiegan said:

The rates of attrition in our work culture are staggering. Nearly half of new hires leave their job within 18 months. The resultant aggregate cost to our GDP is enormous.

I think people, young people in particular, are finding out that they need more than a paycheck and some health insurance out of a job. If your job is going to consume your life, which, let's face it, most do, then it needs to be something you really care about. 

The days of taking the morning train, working from 9-5, and then taking another home again are over. 

4 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I think that a lot of that has to do with businesses not wanting to give out raises.  They don't see a reason to pay someone more for doing what they are already doing and mistakenly feel that people will tolerated it because the process of finding a new job sucks.  That leaves changing jobs as the only real way to get more money.

2 minutes ago, nomascows said:

I think that a lot of that has to do with businesses not wanting to give out raises.  They don't see a reason to pay someone more for doing what they are already doing and mistakenly feel that people will tolerated it because the process of finding a new job sucks.  That leaves changing jobs as the only real way to get more money.

Very well could be. The root cause of organizational cultural incompatibility seems like a pretty broad catch-all that could and would cover a number of issues.