Wyovanian

Poll- Would you attend a MWC Tournament in...

Would you attend a MWC Tournament in...  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend a Mountain West Basketball Tournament if held in the following cities?

2. 2. If you've attended the Tournament in Las Vegas, which other factors draw you there other than the Tournament itself?

• Gambling
    • Nightlife
    • Dining
    • Shows/ Entertainers
    • Tours and Excursions
    • Weather
    • Accessibility from your location
    • Affordability
    • Participation in other sports- golf, boating, etc...

13 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Reno should be removed from the voting.

Sure, their tiny venue would thrill WCC fans as a suitable tourney location.   But it is too small to host the MWC tourney.

319308-1.jpg

It holds 11,000 people. :shrug: 

• Like 2

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

25 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

It's not that I'm opposed to SLC, but I find San Diego more appealing. I understand SLC is closer to the mountain schools but so was Denver and it was a disaster. 

But LA should be second to last. 

Probably rank it as San Diego, SLC, Phoenix, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Reno. 

SLC is far more central to the membership than Denver was.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

Guest #1Stunner
11 minutes ago, mugtang said:

It holds 11,000 people. :shrug: 

A small venue like that is ideal for the WCC.

Reno should campaign hard for the next WCC tournament contract.  

250px-WestCoastLocations.png

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

A small venue like that is ideal for the WCC.

Reno should campaign hard for the next WCC tournament contract.  

250px-WestCoastLocations.png

We did host the Big Sky tournament last year.  But it wasn't held at the University.  It was held at the Reno events center where the Bighorns play. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

There are other reasons to avoid SLC than just the paucity of liquor. According to an L.A. Times article of about a month ago, SLC smog has gotten so bad that twice last year it was literally worse than Beijing. A photo which accompanied the article taken from that ski area above SLC showed absolutely nothing but smog. Worse yet, it's Jason Chaffetz country. Every time I see him, I want to punch that weasel.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
23 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

There are other reasons to avoid SLC than just the paucity of liquor. According to an L.A. Times article of about a month ago, SLC smog has gotten so bad that twice last year it was literally worse than Beijing. A photo which accompanied the article taken from that ski area above SLC showed absolutely nothing but smog. Worse yet, it's Jason Chaffetz country. Every time I see him, I want to punch that weasel.

BwIk6SrIgAE1EoF.jpg

promo275097632.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&

inversion.jpg

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Honestly, I'm surprised that some of the other schools aren't on board with Salt Lake City.

Much easier drive to SLC than Las Vegas for:

(1) Wyoming fans 

(2) CSU fans

(3) AFA fans

(4) Boise fans

(5) USU fans (closet BYU fans?)

Still an easy drive for:

(1) UNLV fans

(2) Reno fans

Much longer drive for:

(1) SDSU fans

(2) Fresno fans (don't attend in Las Vegas)

(3) SJSU fans (don't attend in Las Vegas)

(4) UNM fans

Only fans that probably shouldn't like SLC are Aztecs fans and UNM fans.

Only about an 1.5 hours more for UNM.

36 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

There's no paucity of liquor in SLC. It's a myth.

The smog caused by inversion in the winter months is a serious problem and is a consequence of growth. I'd call that a valid concern to be honest...

Which ski area? Solitude, Brighton, Snowbird, or Alta?

And yes, I'm with you- Jason Chaffetz has one of those faces that makes you want to take a power sander to it...

• Like 2

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, Wyovanian said:

There's no paucity of liquor in SLC. It's a myth.

The smog caused by inversion in the winter months is a serious problem and is a consequence of growth. I'd call that a valid concern to be honest...

Which ski area? Solitude, Brighton, Snowbird, or Alta?

And yes, I'm with you- Jason Chaffetz has one of those faces that makes you want to take a power sander to it...

The inversion is caused by population growth, and the fact that the Wasatch Front is surrounded by mountains, I agree..... a problem.

But, I think the inversion is usually gone by early March, when the tournament is held. 

Just now, ole blu dude said:

Salt Lake would be the last place I would want as a host city for the MWC. trust me I have lived there. I would not attend the games if they are held in Shit Lake city.

Uh oh. Someone got dumped in SLC...

35 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

Yes, I did get dumped, but I found a way out, happy to be gone. Right now it is 30 degrees, and snowing, give me Vegas, San Diego, most anywhere but there.

Funny how people are surprised by weather. Same folks that didn't hear the train...

38 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

Yes, I did get dumped, but I found a way out, happy to be gone. Right now it is 30 degrees, and snowing, give me Vegas, San Diego, most anywhere but there.

You are aware that there are people who enjoy snow and the change of seasons. Otherwise no one would live in places that have them.

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Honestly, I'm surprised that some of the other schools aren't on board with Salt Lake City.

Much easier drive to SLC than Las Vegas for:

(1) Wyoming fans 

(2) CSU fans

(3) AFA fans

(4) Boise fans

(5) USU fans (closet BYU fans?)

Still an easy drive for:

(1) UNLV fans

(2) Reno fans

Much longer drive for:

(1) SDSU fans

(2) Fresno fans (don't attend in Las Vegas)

(3) SJSU fans (don't attend in Las Vegas)

(4) UNM fans

Only fans that probably shouldn't like SLC are Aztecs fans and UNM fans.

I would only make the trip to SLC if there was reason to believe that a future unm had a pretty good chance to win it all in the tourney... But this years team, and from the past 2 years, would have been a hell no for me and my friends and family... not even Lobo cool aid would convince me that these teams had ANY chance of winning ONE game, let alone 3!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Now that Vegas has an NHL team don't y'all dare move the MWC basketball tourney.  Starting next season I'll be far more likely to go to the basketball tourney if the Knights are in town as well.  Two birds, one stone.

• Like 2

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, ole blu dude said:

Plus, something tells me that the Wyoming fans would rub a SLC MWC Tourney in BYU fans' faces...

The Wyoming fans have always had it out for BYU fans.   Them being able to finally get a tourney scheduled in SLC (something BYU dreamed of for years), would be a huge insult and slap in the face.