jackmormon

Republicans want to supress the vote?

Don't be silly. Of course they do. :lol:

The Montana GOP is trying to kill a republican bill that would call for mail in ballots in the special election to replace Ryan Zinke, who is expected to be confirmed as Trump's Secretary of the Interior.

The bill would save hundreds of thousands of dollars. So why is the Montana Republican party against it? It would increase voter turnout, which helps democrats. The state GOP chair spelled it out in a letter to fellow Republicans...

1. Early Mail Voting Favors Democrats

Data from Montana in the 2016 cycle showed Democrats dominated early voting. Democrat candidates for President, Congress and Governor consistently over-performed among voters who said they had already cast their ballots.

2. Lower Propensity Voters Favor Democrat Candidates

Vote-by-mail is designed to increase participation rates of lower propensity voters.

http://thedailybanter.com/2017/02/republican-admits-voter-suppression-tactics/

In other words, Republicans want to spend more money to ensure that less people vote. Crazy eh?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackmormon said:

The Montana GOP is trying to kill a republican bill that would call for mail in ballots in the special election to replace Ryan Zinke, who is expected to be confirmed as Trump's Secretary of the Interior.

The bill would save hundreds of thousands of dollars. So why is the Montana Republican party against it? It would increase voter turnout, which helps democrats. The state GOP chair spelled it out in a letter to fellow Republicans...

Data from Montana in the 2016 cycle showed Democrats dominated early voting. Democrat candidates for President, Congress and Governor consistently over-performed among voters who said they had already cast their ballots.

Vote-by-mail is designed to increase participation rates of lower propensity voters.

In other words, Republicans want to spend more money to ensure that less people vote. Crazy eh?

The fact that early voting favors Democrats is a big part of why North Carolina's Voter ID law was overturned... it eliminated a ton of early voting by reducing the amount of time, and by closing down early voting polling sites in predominately minority/Democrat areas. I am curious as to how they view this as being significantly different than absentee votes though... which are submitted by Republicans more than any other group the last I checked.

Guest RoscoesDad
1 hour ago, jackmormon said:

Of course they do.  Just like another GOP dummy politician is now trying to outlaw liberals from getting a professor job on state funded college campuses.  He wants political litmus tests!  

Democrats better realize something very quickly.  What we are seeing now with Trump and the GOP control of congress and senate, is what they have been building up to for the last 10-15 years.  The gerrymandering.  The takeover of school boards.  The dumbing down of the electorate.  The anti-science anti-fact platform in which being a total booger eating retard is a badge of honor and believing in evolution makes you a libtard elitist.  Where facts are 'fake news'.  

This is not hyperbole.  We are in the midst of a White-WannabeChristian coup.  Dems laughed at them and marginalized them, and that was a big mistake. Middle America Whitey knows the demographics are against them and that they will be in the minority soon.  This is their last hurrah and the Democrats better wake the +++++ up and stop talking about LGBTQ crap and start focusing on saving the damn country from these 2A-Jade Helm-Pizzagate-Benghazi +++++tards.

The well-established pattern of legislative work-arounds that time and time again the courts have found to serve no real purpose other than to make access to polls more difficult for demographics that historically skew Democrat is yet another instance of the GOP putting party before country, and why I can not in good faith vote R in national elections until the party undergoes a serious reformation.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

3 hours ago, jackmormon said:

Is Montana a swing state?  I've never seen them listed as a swing state on any national map.  I don't know the demographics are statewide.  Does voter ID and such even matter in Montana?

• Like 1

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

Is Montana a swing state?  I've never seen them listed as a swing state on any national map.  I don't know the demographics are statewide.  Does voter ID and such even matter in Montana?

The currently have a democratic governor and senator and a republican senator and representative. The special election is to replace the state's lone representative.

it seems they want to make sure it doesn't turn into a swing state...

16 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

The currently have a democratic governor and senator and a republican senator and representative. The special election is to replace the state's lone representative.

it seems they want to make sure it doesn't turn into a swing state...

Sure, but Wyo has had dem govs and us reps too,

Anyone know if these voter ID proposals are a result of what Jack is assuming?

9 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Sure, but Wyo has had dem govs and us reps too,

Anyone know if these voter ID proposals are a result of what Jack is assuming?

The voter suppression is not an assumption. It is spelled out in black and white in the GOP chair's letter...

25 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

The voter suppression is not an assumption. It is spelled out in black and white in the GOP chair's letter...

Not my point.  Would it matter is my question.

24 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Not my point.  Would it matter is my question.

North Carolina and Wisconsin are swing states and have recently had voter suppression laws overturned by courts. 

Besides, of course it matters at the state level in Montana, even if it matters less on the federal level. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

7 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

North Carolina and Wisconsin are swing states and have recently had voter suppression laws overturned by courts. 

Besides, of course it matters at the state level in Montana, even if it matters less on the federal level. 

And I can see that it would matter in NC and Wisconsin.  I just can't imagine that it would matter in Montana.  Perhaps in some areas on state races.  So, I've looked it up and the make up of the state legislature is:

Senate
GOP - 59
Dem - 41

House
GOP - 32
Dem - 18

It doesn't appear to matter there.

I'd like to know why we're making such a big deal about this in Montana.  Does the fact that this his happening in Montana support just the opposite argument?  That it's not being done to suppress dem's votes, but for another reason?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pokebball said:

And I can see that it would matter in NC and Wisconsin.  I just can't imagine that it would matter in Montana.  Perhaps in some areas on state races.  So, I've looked it up and the make up of the state legislature is:

Senate
GOP - 59
Dem - 41

House
GOP - 32
Dem - 18

It doesn't appear to matter there.

I'd like to know why we're making such a big deal about this in Montana.  Does the fact that this his happening in Montana support just the opposite argument?  That it's not being done to suppress dem's votes, but for another reason?

Are you pretending to be dense?

The lone House seat in Montana is up for a special election. The republican party has analyzed voting patterns to see who is more likely vote by which method, and which party benefits from high voter turnout.

There is currently a republican sponsored bill that in order to save hundreds of thousands of dollars, the special election should be held by mail in ballot.

The Chair of the Montana GOP is now urging republicans to kill their own bill because they know that when you make voting easier, more democrats vote.

The state Republican Party wants to spend more money on the election in order to make sure less people vote which will favor the GOP candidate.

Get it?

21 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

Are you pretending to be dense?

The lone House seat in Montana is up for a special election. The republican party has analyzed voting patterns to see who is more likely vote by which method, and which party benefits from high voter turnout.

There is currently a republican sponsored bill that in order to save hundreds of thousands of dollars, the special election should be held by mail in ballot.

The Chair of the Montana GOP is now urging republicans to kill their own bill because they know that when you make voting easier, more democrats vote.

The state Republican Party wants to spend more money on the election in order to make sure less people vote which will favor the GOP candidate.

Get it?

I must be dense, because I can't get my question through to you.

With or without this proposal, do the Dems even have a chance of winning this seat.  This past fall's results in Montana suggest not.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/government-and-politics/bullock-re-elected-republicans-sweep-other-statewide-races/article_614801b8-3ef1-5871-baa9-ac08675312cf.html  GOP swept everything except the Gov race.  The incumbant was very popular and still barely won.

I don't think it matters.

• Like 1

The Republican Party chair thinks so...

Essman acknowledged his position would not be popular with fiscally conservative county commissioners.

"They may be well intended, but this bill could be the death of our effort to make Montana a reliably Republican state," Essman wrote.

19 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

The Republican Party chair thinks so...

I'm not arguing that it is or isn't a good idea.  Just stop.

I'm saying it doesn't matter, so why are you getting your panties all wadded up over this proposal in Montana?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I'm not arguing that it is or isn't a good idea.  Just stop.

I'm saying it doesn't matter, so why are you getting your panties all wadded up over this proposal in Montana?

It's simply another example of republicans using voter suppression in order to win elections.