ltcpilot

UNLV at AF- no where to go but 'Up in the Air'

Dead UNLV.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PTR said:

Dead UNLV.jpg

Very true. This season was over before it started and flat-lined in mid January. Hopefully Marv can get some revenge games in next season... he'll have a long list to check off lol.

Nice job AF. You are always a tough at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poster17 said:

Well, I was wrong about this being a good game.  Damn, we got run by the Flyboys.  Not much to be hopeful of for the Rebels for the remainder of the year.  As of now our first round MWT opponent would be SDSU...man how times change.

Even if UNLV can keep it close (obviously not the case here), you can be damned sure they will find a way to lose. That's why I'm not interested in the games. There is no progress with this team. I guess I get called out for not being a true fan for having that attitude, but I don't feel a need to put lipstick on this pig. I'll still watch the games to see if they can break out of the funk, but I have no delusions they will. Menzies has no answers for this squad, and that's pretty damned disappointing to me.

16 hours ago, ltcpilot said:

Watching 2 teams battling for a win that played 2 OT's last time they met with Mooring having 30pts and Graham 22pts. I find it interesting....if you don't care about your team anymore this season then maybe you don't.

It's not that I don't care. It's that I know the outcome before the game is played. I don't find that compelling and certainly not "interesting."

12 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Even if UNLV can keep it close (obviously not the case here), you can be damned sure they will find a way to lose. That's why I'm not interested in the games. There is no progress with this team. I guess I get called out for not being a true fan for having that attitude, but I don't feel a need to put lipstick on this pig. I'll still watch the games to see if they can break out of the funk, but I have no delusions they will. Menzies has no answers for this squad, and that's pretty damned disappointing to me.

The attendance Saturday will be abysmal and local Reno alumni fans will take over the Mack. Unless they want to save their dough for the MWC tourney. 

Either way, I'm not looking forward to getting pasted by Reno at home.

Guest RoscoesDad
29 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I'll disagree with it being disapointing because of Marvin.  If you can look past the results and look at little things like execution, then there is a lot of good things I am seeing.  We may not be making shots or plays, but we are running a real offense for once.  We actually know how to attack a zone, for once. We actually have a coach that can dial up a play that consists of something more than set a screen and go one-on-one.   Marvin is getting these guys in position to make plays and shots, but this year's team just isn't good enough to finish.  Just looking at the technical aspects, I am pleasantly surprised with a lot of things.  We just don't have guys on the floor with the ability to make the final play with any type of consistency.  I honestly don't see Coach K or Cal doing any better with this group.  

10 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

I'll disagree with it being disapointing because of Marvin.  If you can look past the results and look at little things like execution, then there is a lot of good things I am seeing.  We may not be making shots or plays, but we are running a real offense for once.  We actually know how to attack a zone, for once. We actually have a coach that can dial up a play that consists of something more than set a screen and go one-on-one.   Marvin is getting these guys in position to make plays and shots, but this year's team just isn't good enough to finish.  Just looking at the technical aspects, I am pleasantly surprised with a lot of things.  We just don't have guys on the floor with the ability to make the final play with any type of consistency.  I honestly don't see Coach K or Cal doing any better with this group.  

While I agree the team shows some better plays than they did under Rice, that is a very low bar. My primary disappointment in Menzies comes from the fact that he can't get his players to play a full game on the defensive end. Yes, due to talent, we have some defensive liabilities one on one, but many of the problems are overplaying help D, or multiple players coming to help, and getting burned... that's not communicating... that's (hopefully) not executing what you are coached. That can and should be fixed by the coaching staff. We can talk about abysmal shooting being on the players, but that overlooks the other end of the court. Team defense is awful for most of the game and that hasn't been fixed. Sorry, but I see that as coaching. By the last handful of games these things should be fixed. These guys may not be at the talent level that we are accustomed to, but they didn't just start playing basketball in April when we signed them. These kids know how to play, but still can't fit together as a cohesive unit, especially on defense. That's coaching, IMO. Either that or we can hope he just signed uncoachable kids and they will get tossed for coachable ones.

I like a lot of things Marv is trying to do. And yes, he gets a big pass this season due to circumstances well beyond his control. I really hope next year we show vast improvement. We shall see.

• Like 2

3 regular season games left

vs Nevada 

vs Utah St

at Fresno St

Probably looking at 0-3........if there's a win left it will be vs USU

Then MWCT on March 8 with UNLV  playing in the 11/6 game or the 10/7 game......... And that should end the misery of this wasted season...........but

Should UNLV luck into a win, then they return March 9 for 11/2 or 10/3 game and that should definitely be the end 

MWCT Bracket: https://mwc-platform-secure.silverchalice.co/v3/files/57b329dbe4b01116b7549bc6

1 hour ago, RoscoesDad said:

Execution? 

Turning the ball over countless times, can't make layups, offense continues to get blocked with poor shot selection. 

No unlv team should be getting boatraced by 3-11 conference Air Force squad. Unlv lost the rebounding battle to Air Force (Air Force has height restrictions), Turned the ball over 15 phucking times, while only having 11 assists the whole phucking game. 

"A lot of good things I'm seeing." 

Wow, must be on a serious acid trip.

Saw this result last night and mind was blown. I knew UNLV was bad this year but haven't followed close enough to expect this. 

Been a UNLV fan for long time as I was a massive LJ fan as a kid. So UNLV has always been my 2nd team.  Embarrassing the vandals would probably handle the rebs this year.

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

While I agree the team shows some better plays than they did under Rice, that is a very low bar. My primary disappointment in Menzies comes from the fact that he can't get his players to play a full game on the defensive end. Yes, due to talent, we have some defensive liabilities one on one, but many of the problems are overplaying help D, or multiple players coming to help, and getting burned... that's not communicating... that's (hopefully) not executing what you are coached. That can and should be fixed by the coaching staff. We can talk about abysmal shooting being on the players, but that overlooks the other end of the court. Team defense is awful for most of the game and that hasn't been fixed. Sorry, but I see that as coaching. By the last handful of games these things should be fixed. These guys may not be at the talent level that we are accustomed to, but they didn't just start playing basketball in April when we signed them. These kids know how to play, but still can't fit together as a cohesive unit, especially on defense. That's coaching, IMO. Either that or we can hope he just signed uncoachable kids and they will get tossed for coachable ones.

I like a lot of things Marv is trying to do. And yes, he gets a big pass this season due to circumstances well beyond his control. I really hope next year we show vast improvement. We shall see.

I only saw two successive plays last night since I was a little busy ?, but what stood out to me were a couple of low iQ plays along the baseline. Morgan got a nice steal and then just kept going out of bounds under the basket. 30 seconds and 3 AFA points later clybern drove and went out on the baseline, 2 turnovers in a row that resulted in 6 points for AFA, and with another dumb turnover the rebs went from being down by about 10 to 18 in the minute I was watching. Add to that, the fact that we all knew there were certain players who, as Best said, couldn't defend a brick wall, and I am just not sure how much you can coach some of these guys up on that end. I would not be a bit surprised  to see a couple players moving to schools like SUU after this season, they just don't have IT.. I just hope MM can make the adjustments. 

• Like 1

Guest RoscoesDad
17 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Execution? 

Turning the ball over countless times, can't make layups, offense continues to get blocked with poor shot selection. 

No unlv team should be getting boatraced by 3-11 conference Air Force squad. Unlv lost the rebounding battle to Air Force (Air Force has height restrictions), Turned the ball over 15 phucking times, while only having 11 assists the whole phucking game. 

"A lot of good things I'm seeing." 

Wow, must be on a serious acid trip.

LOL. When I say that I hate a certain section of UNLV fans.  I am talking about morons like you and the dummies I am currently listening to on ESPN1100 that are calling in and complaining about everything.

Look forward to your next TKM rant.  Stay lazy.

18 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

LOL. When I say that I hate a certain section of UNLV fans.  I am talking about morons like you and the dummies I am currently listening to on ESPN1100 that are calling in and complaining about everything.

Look forward to your next TKM rant.  Stay lazy.

With a 3-12 conference record in a down year for the conference. I couldn't imagine why locals are lighting up the phones, pissed off. Why they should be seeing the good things you are seeing! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

I only saw two successive plays last night since I was a little busy ?, but what stood out to me were a couple of low iQ plays along the baseline. Morgan got a nice steal and then just kept going out of bounds under the basket. 30 seconds and 3 AFA points later clybern drove and went out on the baseline, 2 turnovers in a row that resulted in 6 points for AFA, and with another dumb turnover the rebs went from being down by about 10 to 18 in the minute I was watching. Add to that, the fact that we all knew there were certain players who, as Best said, couldn't defend a brick wall, and I am just not sure how much you can coach some of these guys up on that end. I would not be a bit surprised  to see a couple players moving to schools like SUU after this season, they just don't have IT.. I just hope MM can make the adjustments. 

He's got an economics degree from UCLA.  He's not dumb.  He will get better players.  Keep in mind that he had to upgrade the talent when he was at San Diego State, and their situation was much worse.

3 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

There will be turnover, so things will be better.

18 hours ago, ph90702 said:

It's +++++ing embarrassing to get beaten by Air Force, rebuilding year or not.  Even in our dire circumstances, we wouldn't have taken any of Air Force's players back in April.  In addition, if they lose tonight, then they DO NOT deserve one off day this offseason.

I feel the same way about UNLV's football team every year...