mugtang

7 New Planets!

Was just reading about this. Here's the TRAPPIST-1 website.

According to BBC, that's now 3,449 planets logged in NASA's database. But this find sounds like it has the potential to be special. From the above website:

"Thanks to the transit signals we could measure the orbital periods of the planets and could calculate the sizes of the planets. The exact time at which the planets transit also provide us with a means to measure their masses, which leads to knowing their densities and therefore their bulk properties. The planets are consistent with a rocky composition.

We found that the planets have sizes and masses comparable to the Earth and Venus. Because we know the distance of the planets to their star, and the temperature of the star, we can deduce that they receive an amount of light that is similar to many of the planets in the Solar system, from Mercury to beyond Mars."

Approx. relative distance to their star (from BBC):

_94799434_new_planets_624.png

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Was just reading about this. Here's the TRAPPIST-1 website.

According to BBC, that's now 3,449 planets logged in NASA's database. But this find sounds like it has the potential to be special. From the above website:

Approx. relative distance to their star (from BBC):

_94799434_new_planets_624.png

I was reading that you would receive 200x less light on I.e. But the same amount of energy because how close the planet is to the sun.  This is really cool. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater