thelawlorfaithful

New guidelines for deportation

I don't see how we can deport non Mexicans to Mexico if Mexico doesn't want them.  If they get across the border, then that's our problem, and we need to work out extradition deals with CeNtral America countries.

Is that existing policy?  

To be honest, I didn't know that.

By the way, that could have been done, if we paid Mexico the administrative and transportation costs to do it.  But not after trumps rhetoric.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I'm not venturing an opinion about enforcement of the law. I'm suggesting that Mexico refusing to cooperate with deportations will cause a lot of problems.  

It will cause Mexico problems in many area's as well.  Especially in the U.N. and the courts.  International law does not allow you to refuse deportations of illegal immigrants from your country.

I think you and Trump have much in common in that you both don't understand the big picture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I don't see how we can deport non Mexicans to Mexico if Mexico doesn't want them.  If they get across the border, then that's our problem, and we need to work out extradition deals with CeNtral America countries.

Is that existing policy?  

By the way, that could have been done, if we paid Mexico the administrative and transportation costs to do it.  But not after trumps rhetoric.

We can deport them to mexico because that is where they originated.

According to international law that is how it works.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Is that existing policy?  

Bingo.

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

3 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

We can deport them to mexico because that is where they originated.

According to international law that is how it works.

How are you proving that if they are undocumented?

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

7 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Is that existing policy?  

I've been reading about it. Right now we fly people back to their country of origin.  And you're exactly right about the rhetoric. Trump has cornered the Mexican government in a position where they can't back down.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

8 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

It will cause Mexico problems in many area's as well.  Especially in the U.N. and the courts.  International law does not allow you to refuse deportations of illegal immigrants from your country.

I think you and Trump have much in common in that you both don't understand the big picture.

I cannot see the international courts telling Mexico it must accept undocumented Guatemalans, Hondurans, and Salvadorans. 

I think the international courts may eventually have a thing or two to tell us though. From today's L.A. Times:

"Trump wants to hire 5,000 more border agents and 10,000 more ICE agents for enforcement in the interior of the country, and he expects to vastly increase the number of detainees from the current 41,000 people. The detention system — particularly the part run under contract by private prison companies — has been condemned by human rights groups over living conditions, detainees’ access to lawyers and lack of adequate healthcare."

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

If they truly wanted to stop illegal immigration from Mexico, they could do it tomorrow. Impose draconian laws against the businesses that hire them, big fines and shut them down for multiple offenses. If there were no jobs to be had, they would not come, would be much more effective than some stupid fence.

The problem is neither side really wants to solve the problem. Having the issue to fight over plays to the bases both on the left and the right. It seems that we could draft a visitor worker program that would make sense for both the businesses and the workers, but there is no political motivation to do so.

• Like 6

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

2 minutes ago, Mano said:

If they truly wanted to stop illegal immigration from Mexico, they could do it tomorrow. Impose draconian laws against the businesses that hire them, big fines and shut them down for multiple offenses. If there were no jobs to be had, they would not come, would be much more effective than some stupid fence.

The problem is neither side really wants to solve the problem. Having the issue to fight over plays to the basea both on the left and the right. It seems that we could draft a visitor worker program that would make sense for both the businesses and the workers, but there is no political motivation to do so.

That's because the R's know that if they go after the businesses, they'll lose their votes.   And the Dems will smell blood, and cook up some new legislative position that incorporates the "rights" of businesses to use undocumented labor.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I cannot see the international courts telling Mexico it must accept undocumented Guatemalans, Hondurans, and Salvadorans. 

I think the international courts may eventually have a thing or two to tell us though. From today's L.A. Times:

"Trump wants to hire 5,000 more border agents and 10,000 more ICE agents for enforcement in the interior of the country, and he expects to vastly increase the number of detainees from the current 41,000 people. The detention system — particularly the part run under contract by private prison companies — has been condemned by human rights groups over living conditions, detainees’ access to lawyers and lack of adequate healthcare."

Middle class people read that and googled how much cbp officers make. Rich people googled "how to buy a prison." 

• Like 1

I'm all for enforcing immigration laws, provided we're not acting in a way detrimental to our economic or societal best interests, and provided we maintain a sense of common sense and compassion with regards to enforcement (e.g., not deporting an illegal immigrant mom for a California stop when she has a natural-born child here).

BTW, it wasn't too long ago that BP/INS didn't even maintain a fingerprint database for illegal immigrant offenders; they simply deported them, much like Trump's policy looks to do - and people I knew who worked in that sphere thought was a bad idea then (as they will simply return to the US). I don't see why we can't detain and incarcerate criminals and simply seek to recover the cost of incarceration from their respective countries of citizenship. Seems like it would be an easier diplomatic play and a f*ckload cheaper than building some stupid magical unicorn wall.

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

14 hours ago, happycamper said:

If people were actually hardline against illegal immigration, they would be asking for better monitoring of people from China and India overstaying tourist visas. Shoot, if people cared about illegal immigration then they'd realize that the Mexican government prevents more illegal immigration to the US than any other (maybe more than our own government) by stopping central americans who are illegal in Mexico too.

The fact that people focus on Mexico, despite the facts of illegal immigration, is indicative of racism, pure and simple. 

Of course we should go after them. Who says we don't?

So what's worse, entering illegally or overstaying (after having been examined on entry)?  

45 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

. I don't see why we can't detain and incarcerate criminals and simply seek to recover the cost of incarceration from their respective countries of citizenship. Seems like it would be an easier diplomatic play and a f*ckload cheaper than building some stupid magical unicorn wall.

I don't know how we would recoup enough to cover the cost of that.  And I don't know why a country would pay us for holding random people who left their country.

• Like 3