halfmanhalfbronco

Spring ball is nearly upon us, what position battles will you be watching for?

For Boise we will gave interesting battles at

QB2

WR-H WR-Z.  Wilson at WR-X is pretty much a lock to be first team All MWC and top 3 round draft pick.

All along the O-line our returning starters could very well lose their jobs.

RB2.  Mattison will start.

Stud end.  Frazier and Perez have shown they can be productive when healthy.  Flip a coin with those two.

NT.  The position will be deep and talented this year but young.

D end.  Same as NT.  Lots of talent.  Durant Miles was fairly productive last year but I bet one of the even younger guys wins the spot.

SLB.  I could see one of 4 different guys winning this spot.  No clue.

Free Safety.  Same as SLB,  one of about 4 guys could win this spot

Boundry Safety.  Likely not a battle, as Piece who looked great as a true freshmen should win it but you never know since last years starter, Hartsfield, returns.

What about you guys?

I'm very interested in our next crop of QB candidates at SJSU. Kenny Potter was pretty good when he had protection (which wasn't often enough). 

22 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

For UNLV it's all about the QB position - Armani Rodgers had better emerge as the leader heading into summer camp............if not the sweaty palms and hand wringing will begin around the Rebel program.

Everything else is secondary 

That is a lot of pressure to put on a Freshmen.  

Wyoming will have to replace pretty much all of our skill positions on offense and our center. 

Wr- CJ Johnson started emerging as a playmaker last year. Austin Conway will get more use downfield instead of all the LOS stuff. James Price/John Okwoli need to step up to replace Maulhardt. 

TE- Harshman looks like the next guy but there are 3/4 other developing guys that will push him

RB- Nico Evan got a bit of play last year, Overstreet is highly touted, we could rotate 3/4 backs with Green/Hall. Need someone to step up and take the job. 

OL- We get 4 back, 2OT and 2OG plus a young OT who played well when asked. Need to find a center all these guys will be pushed by a strong redshirt class. 

Defense will be fun to watch.

DT- Ghaifan should build on a solid first year, Cain will have Malauulu/Baker pushing him. Should have 4/5 guys play at the two spots. 

DE-Granderson/Prosser at WDE now and we'll see who else steps up. SDE Hall maybe Lolohea or one of the young guys comes in not sure here. 

LB- Wilson will remain in one spot but 2 are open....maybe Wingard moves down from S. Coaches like Watson and Maluia. We need an OLB who can cover to replace DJ May. 

Secondary could remain intact if Wingard stays at S.

• Like 3

Guest RoscoesDad

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

For UNLV it's all about the QB position - Armani Rodgers had better emerge as the leader heading into summer camp............if not the sweaty palms and hand wringing will begin around the Rebel program.

Everything else is secondary 

We have a good OL and above average skill players on offense, which is a good setup for a QB.  However I think it's extreme wishful thinking to rely on a RS FR to come in, grab the starting job and be head and shoulders better than the other 2 guys with D1 experience.  I will not be surprised if either Stanton or Pal are starting game 1 and/or all 3 of those guys in a rotation to start the season.  Personally I felt Sanchez made a big mistake not pulling Amari's RS last year after Stanton got hurt, although I know 90% of UNLV fans would disagree with that.  We had bad players in front of him and we didn't make a bowl game, so no reason not to have put the stud recruit in after game 3 and let him get some experience so we could have taken the next step this year instead of pinning everything on a kid with no experience.  The only way it would make any sense is if we are sitting here in the 2020 season in awe of the heights Amari Rogers took the UNLV program to.  Highly unlikely, hope I am wrong.

For Hawaii, Spring Ball has already started with the first practice this past Monday. 

QB, looks solid. Dru Brown developing real well. What really will be interesting is who takes the backup spot between two RS'ed players from last season Cole McDonald and Cole Brownholtz. 

RB, looks solid. Diocemy St Juste holds the starting role. Looks like Freshman Freddie Holly will be taking over RB2 Paul Harris's spot, and Melvin Davis was supposed to get Lakalaka's power back role before Davis had a bad leg injury yesterday which might be a season ending one. So might go to Tuiasoa who is in the same mold as Lakalaka.

TE will be different. Rolo seems to want his TE's to be athletic types that catch 5-6 balls a game. Tui Unga fits that perfectly but wasn't really that great a threat outside the bowl game. Will be interesting how much Brown and Unga find chemistry.

WR, will be interesting. Slotbacks are solid with Ursua and Collie but backups are the battle with very little experience. What will be interesting is who takes over for Marcus Kemp as the WR1 spot which will be a battle between a few new players like Armstrong-Brown and old returnees like Barker, Ewaliko, Stubblefield and Timoteo.

Defense is secondary until Fall Camp when a load of new players come in. More interested in how our new DC and new Safety coach will be.

3 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

We have a good OL and above average skill players on offense, which is a good setup for a QB.  However I think it's extreme wishful thinking to rely on a RS FR to come in, grab the starting job and be head and shoulders better than the other 2 guys with D1 experience.  I will not be surprised if either Stanton or Pal are starting game 1 and/or all 3 of those guys in a rotation to start the season.  Personally I felt Sanchez made a big mistake not pulling Amari's RS last year after Stanton got hurt, although I know 90% of UNLV fans would disagree with that.  We had bad players in front of him and we didn't make a bowl game, so no reason not to have put the stud recruit in after game 3 and let him get some experience so we could have taken the next step this year instead of pinning everything on a kid with no experience.  The only way it would make any sense is if we are sitting here in the 2020 season in awe of the heights Amari Rogers took the UNLV program to.  Highly unlikely, hope I am wrong.

I'm one who was glad to see Sanchez not got full panic & pull the RS on Rogers (need to remember to drop the 'd') - Don't think throwing Rogers into the mix last season would have resulted in any more wins and might have not been enough to salvage a bowl season.

Admit it's tough for a RS Frosh to come in and set the world on fire.........but I think UNLV is at the point under Sanchez that some sort of decent QB is a top priority........as you said, UNLV will have a decent OL with most returning & the skill positions should be pretty good........so the situation shouldn't be all on Rogers alone (hopefully).

As I see it's Rogers & Stanton as 1-2 or 2-1 going into spring ball.........Pal would be a serviceable 3rd/2nd string in emergency situations.........if Stanton can find any of his "recruiting ratings / hype/ projections" and play like the guy who recruiters thought when he was coming out of HS, then I could see Stanton getting the starting role.

But, it's pretty much been a revolving door at QB under Sanchez, Hauck & Sanford.......I guess you can win by playing the "QB of the day" but for any confidence that the program is moving forward under Sanchez, I think there needs to be a solid QB set......... (obviously injuries can change things at any moment)

I'm mostly interested in D Line and DB's.  We didn't lose much there, and I feel we've got the horses to be at least as good in those areas as last year but we've got to be better than last year in those areas.  There was a lot of young talent that didn't see the field and I'm hoping there are some diamonds in that group that can jump into the starting ranks.  Got some transfer help as well in the D backfield.  I'm just watching to see if some of these guys leapfrog over some entrenched guys.  That would be a good sign.

• Like 1

New coaching staff, new systems.  We never felt that Polian was coaching guys up & Norvell & staff ran measures & said there's a lot of work to do.  He pushed back Spring practice to give a full 8 weeks working on weights, fitness & speed.  Probably wont see the difference by Spring unless we're noticeably faster, quicker & stronger.  Then again it was Polian so maybe we will see the difference.    

30 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I'm mostly interested in D Line and DB's.  We didn't lose much there, and I feel we've got the horses to be at least as good in those areas as last year but we've got to be better than last year in those areas.  There was a lot of young talent that didn't see the field and I'm hoping there are some diamonds in that group that can jump into the starting ranks.  Got some transfer help as well in the D backfield.  I'm just watching to see if some of these guys leapfrog over some entrenched guys.  That would be a good sign.

Always a good sign.  Pretty sure Boise will have a few returning starters who will back up our younger guys.

For UNM I want to see what we have at QB besides Jordan. This offense could put D Coordinators out of work if we could just throw the ball.

Need to see big improvement from the defense.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Always a good sign.  Pretty sure Boise will have a few returning starters who will back up our younger guys.

To be honest though.  We'll have competition at 21 positions, so who knows what will come out of it.

Stevens has already been told that he's the #1.  He didn't get that news last year until the first game week.  Bobo trusts him now, and I think is sending the message to just get better and not press.  Kind of a "you got this" statement.  A good decision IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, Headbutt said:

To be honest though.  We'll have competition at 21 positions, so who knows what will come out of it.

Stevens has already been told that he's the #1.  He didn't get that news last year until the first game week.  Bobo trusts him now, and I think is sending the message to just get better and not press.  Kind of a "you got this" statement.  A good decision IMO.

I expect big things out of CSU football this year.  9-10 wins should be the expectation.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I expect big things out of CSU football this year.  9-10 wins should be the expectation.

It is.  I would be unhappy with anything under 10 if we didn't play 'Bama at 'Bama.  As it is I'll take 2 F'ups and be happy with 9 of 11.  Playing 'Bama is great, but face it, it's an L.  9 W's and a respectable showing in Tuscaloosa will take Bobo's recruiting up yet another notch.