BSUTOP25

Upcoming Leisure Trips

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I am up there a lot right where the Secesh dumps in for overnight fishing trips, maybe 7 or 8 times a year.  I have put in there twice.  Gets pretty snaky the further down you get but it is fun.

Yeah, the water can get really big really quick, and the rapids can get scary fast. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

7 hours ago, Mano said:

Athens is nice, but you should really hit the islands if you are going to Greece for a week.

I've done both the mainland and islands before but this is the first time the gf will have been to Greece. Going to spend the first day and a half sightseeing in Athens and the rest of the time out on Cape Sounio relaxing. At the very Southern tip of Attica, it's very much like being on a Greek island. Here are some photos of the resort we'll be staying at (Temple of Poseidon in the background):

EXH531_EXH531%20Cape%20Sounio%20Beach%20

cape%20sounio%20resort%20looking%20out%2

cape-sounio-grecotel-luxury-resort-souni

33664315.jpg

I hope this post upped my douche score by 10x @Jwherb!! :D 

• Like 1

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

18 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I went to Colombia once. It was +++++ing amazing. Now it's insanely cheap to fly to from here. 

Panama is dangerous unless you're in one of the white enclaves. Ecuador has good waves. I've been to Panama before but never Ecuador. 

I agree with you about Panama. I've been there and stayed at a very nice hotel which was guarded by military personal in combat gear carrying automatic weapons to keep us tourists safe. And I've never seen rain come down so hard anywhere like it did in Panama. I was expecting Noah's ark to float by. Go to Peru if you get the chance. It's awesome! B)

peru-logo.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

So I realize I'm one lucky sombitch for being privileged enough to live in London where a long 3 or 4 day weekend excursion is affordable and convenient. Anyway, the gf and I are trying to take full advantage of this opportunity by getting around a bit over the next several months. Here's our confirmed itinerary: 

Feb — Gran Canaria for some fufu drinks this coming weekend 
Apr — Vienna for some opera, schnitzel, and strudel 
Apr — Paris because the one in Vegas probably isn’t the same 
May — Venice (see above)
Jun — Finland for family
Jul — a full week in Greece before it collapses, specifically Athens and Cape Sounio 
Aug — Copenhagen (the city not the tobacco facility - sorry Poke fans) 
Aug — Rome as I heard all roads lead there 
Sep — Budapest to soak in some baths 

Nothing for October to December yet. How about you all? Anywhere fun on the horizon? 

Dude.  You have to do Munich for Oktoberfest.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Why don't you go to Beirut? Honestly, you're in that part of the world. It's cheap. You'd have an exquisite time. Hell if you went there I could set you up with all sorts of goodies and "experiences" that probably won't be found in Fodor's. 

I want to go because there's some Lebanese in my roots, but I'm not allowed in the country. I've been to Israel and if they see an Israeli stamp on your passport they won't let you in. And if you take out a page then your passport becomes invalid. It's too bad because Jordan and Egypt don't have a problem with people that have been to Israel like Lebanon does. If I could I'd go skiing in Lebanon. Most people think Lebanon is a desert, but it's not like that at all. They have beautiful beaches, fertile valleys and mountains with the infamous cedar trees. And yes, they have ski resorts there too. B) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Why don't you go to Beirut? Honestly, you're in that part of the world. It's cheap. You'd have an exquisite time. Hell if you went there I could set you up with all sorts of goodies and "experiences" that probably won't be found in Fodor's. 

I'm more of a European, Latin American, and Far East Asian type of guy. Not saying that I'd turn down an opportunity to go to Beirut if it presented itself but it's not at the top of my list. We all have our preferences. 

8 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Dude.  You have to do Munich for Oktoberfest.  

The issue is that Oktoberfest takes place during a huge work conference in SF. I'd have to pull a long weekend right at the beginning of the festival. Been to Munich once but not during Oktoberfest. 

7 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

You can get in there. It's an easy if convoluted process. I knew people in Beirut who went to the West Bank and the Dead Sea. If you ever get the inkling to do so, let me know and I'll help you out. 

I guess there's always a way around the law, but I don't want to risk it. I know a Pastor of Lebanese decent (born there and now lives in America) who showed me an article in a travel magazine about this topic. The restriction has to do with a territorial dispute over the Shebaa farms region. I had one run in with the law in a foreign country once and don't want to go through that again. I was in Beni Ansar, Morocco taking pictures of a train going by (I'm a train buff) and a car rolled up and three guys in street clothes jumped out and pushed me against a wall and took my camera and passport away. I was taken to a Police station and they deleted all of my pictures and gave me a lecture about breaking the law. It was a permit law that I didn't know about or I would have applied for one. For awhile there I was worried because I've read about tourists disappearing in Morocco. But thanks for the offer JoeB)

On 2/21/2017 at 10:34 PM, crixus said:

I guess there's always a way around the law, but I don't want to risk it. I know a Pastor of Lebanese decent (born there and now lives in America) who showed me an article in a travel magazine about this topic. The restriction has to do with a territorial dispute over the Shebaa farms region. I had one run in with the law in a foreign country once and don't want to go through that again. I was in Beni Ansar, Morocco taking pictures of a train going by (I'm a train buff) and a car rolled up and three guys in street clothes jumped out and pushed me against a wall and took my camera and passport away. I was taken to a Police station and they deleted all of my pictures and gave me a lecture about breaking the law. It was a permit law that I didn't know about or I would have applied for one. For awhile there I was worried because I've read about tourists disappearing in Morocco. But thanks for the offer JoeB)

You need to have a permit to take pictures on Morocco? 

46 minutes ago, mondego said:

We're heading to Ireland in May. Hoping to hit the whole island in a week. Any suggestions on things that are must-sees would be appreciated. 

Bring back a semi-literate leprechaun with Tourette's. The board has a hole to fill now that PH doesn't post as much as he used to.

• Like 3

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

20 hours ago, mondego said:

We're heading to Ireland in May. Hoping to hit the whole island in a week. Any suggestions on things that are must-sees would be appreciated. 

Go check out Trinity College and the Temple Bar area of Dublin. The Brazen Head is a great pub, established in 1198.

• Like 1