retrofade

February 19th, 1942 --- Executive Order 9066

75 years ago, signed one of the most disturbing violations of due process, civil rights, and human decency into law --- Executive Order 9066. As a result of this executive order, over 120,000 Japanese men, women, and children were detained in internment caps. Of these 120,000, approximately 70,000 were United States Citizens. There were also approximately 15,000 citizens of German and Italian origin who were interred; the majority of which were also citizens.  

It was certainly a dark day in our history as far as I'm concerned. A day the likes of which I hope we will never see again.

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, retrofade said:

75 years ago, signed one of the most disturbing violations of due process, civil rights, and human decency into law --- Executive Order 9066. As a result of this executive order, over 120,000 Japanese men, women, and children were detained in internment caps. Of these 120,000, approximately 70,000 were United States Citizens. There were also approximately 15,000 citizens of German and Italian origin who were interred; the majority of which were also citizens.  

It was certainly a dark day in our history as far as I'm concerned. A day the likes of which I hope we will never see again.

I agree 100%

mem skyline sig.jpeg

15 minutes ago, retrofade said:

To the best of my limited knowledge regarding EO's, that order remains the most egregious of them all. 

The one we should all be proud of and point to as a shining example of how EO's can be very beneficial, is  the Emancipation Proclamation. 

• Like 1

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

Pearl Harbor put people in shock and they overreacted.  We learned from that and moved on.

• Like 1

I grew up believing we had learned from that episode and were better than that.

But I no longer believe that. I was wrong all this time.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/18/opinions/george-takei-japanese-american-internment-day-of-remembrance/index.html

One of the Final Five..........

10 minutes ago, easybronc said:

Pearl Harbor put people in shock and they overreacted.  We learned from that and moved on.

9-11 put people in shock and they are still overreacting.  We need to learn from that and move on.

• Like 2

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Donald Trump Says He Might Have Supported Japanese Internment

http://time.com/4140050/donald-trump-muslims-japanese-internment/

Japanese American internment is ‘precedent’ for national Muslim registry, prominent Trump backer says

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/17/japanese-internment-is-precedent-for-national-muslim-registry-prominent-trump-backer-says/?client=safar

• Like 1
On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

6 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Donald Trump Says He Might Have Supported Japanese Internment

http://time.com/4140050/donald-trump-muslims-japanese-internment/

Japanese American internment is ‘precedent’ for national Muslim registry, prominent Trump backer says

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/17/japanese-internment-is-precedent-for-national-muslim-registry-prominent-trump-backer-says/?client=safar

Did you even bother to read the article before you linked it.?

Fake headline = Fake news. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

55 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Did you even bother to read the article before you linked it.?

Fake headline = Fake news. 

It might make everyone feel better if you acknowledge some on your side would support such crap but the majority are more reasonable then that and would stop it.   

I once contributed to McCain's Presidential campaign before he went full right wing.  Now we are relying on him again

11 hours ago, sactowndog said:

It might make everyone feel better if you acknowledge some on your side would support such crap but the majority are more reasonable then that and would stop it.   

I once contributed to McCain's Presidential campaign before he went full right wing.  Now we are relying on him again

If you listen to the self-declared "real" conservatives, McCain is a moderate who has more in common with the Democrats than he does the Republicans. 

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

He's right in a sense. The rationale laid out in Korematsu probably does justify something like that. Whether it will happen or not is a totally different question. 

Possibly, but doesn't Zadvydas v. Davis spell out that even illegal immigrants and have rights to due process? That and Plyler, Almedia-Sanchez v. United States, etc. spell out some 14th amendment protections for them if I'm not mistaken.

That's not even mentioning Muslim citizens or legal residents. Something like internment could probably never happen again, legally at least.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

They used the rationale that it was for "national security". Think of how that could be extrapolated if there was another, say, catastrophic terror attack. 

It certainly could happen again. I don't know that it will, but it could. 

That's something that has crossed my mind more than once lately. 

If you listen to the self-declared "real" conservatives, McCain is a moderate who has more in common with the Democrats than he does the Republicans. 

if you gave me a choice between Trump, Romney, or McCain this time around...I'd pick McCain, and it's not even a tough choice.

• Like 1

mem skyline sig.jpeg