retrofade

February 19th, 1942 --- Executive Order 9066

4 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

He's part of the uniparty. He's an establishment schmuck. 

I find it hilarious that now the American Left cites McCain as some sort of White Knight espousing the "dangers" of Trump. Funny thing is, if you compare the record of McCain over the years to Trump's 2 week record McCain is by far the more dangerous person. 

That said, these now seem to be the tenets of the American liberals. 

1) Hillary did not lose the election.  Putin arranged for her defeat.
2) the military-intelligence apparatus should overthrow an elected president and install Hillary or John McCain instead.
3) there is one truth and one version of events and history: and New York Times and CNN will vomit the truth to the masses.
4) it is the liberal thing to promote and expand NATO and to nurse the enmity toward Russia.
5) the US should keep a strong alliance with Gulf tyrannies because it is good for Israel.
6) Chuck Schumer is the most charismatic and able leader since Alexander the Great.

I don't agree with McCain involving the US in wars everywhere.  I do appreciate him standing up for the bill of rights and Geneva Convention

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:08 PM, retrofade said:

75 years ago, signed one of the most disturbing violations of due process, civil rights, and human decency into law --- Executive Order 9066. As a result of this executive order, over 120,000 Japanese men, women, and children were detained in internment caps. Of these 120,000, approximately 70,000 were United States Citizens. There were also approximately 15,000 citizens of German and Italian origin who were interred; the majority of which were also citizens.  

It was certainly a dark day in our history as far as I'm concerned. A day the likes of which I hope we will never see again.

If you were Japanese you would have wished you lived in Hawaii. They did not get interned as I recall. Seems like there is safety in numbers.

4 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Sure they did, many were moved to camps on the mainland.

Looked it up. Not many.

"At first, plans had been drawn up in Washington for the wholesale internment of all 158,000 people of Japanese descent living in Hawaii,too – nearly 40 percent of the total population of the islands. But wealthy landowners in Hawaii opposed the plan; they depended on Japanese field workers to tend their sugar and pineapple plantations. And the presence of a massive American military force on the islands made the danger of an internal threat seem less and less plausible. In the end, Japanese Americans "

PBS info..

Says a few hundred.

Same here.

8 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Looked it up. Not many.

"At first, plans had been drawn up in Washington for the wholesale internment of all 158,000 people of Japanese descent living in Hawaii,too – nearly 40 percent of the total population of the islands. But wealthy landowners in Hawaii opposed the plan; they depended on Japanese field workers to tend their sugar and pineapple plantations. And the presence of a massive American military force on the islands made the danger of an internal threat seem less and less plausible. In the end, Japanese Americans "

PBS info..

Says a few hundred.

Same here.

Hmm i have read some stuff about japanese americans being moved from Hawaii to Wyoming or Nebraska.  

Quite possible i am miss-remembering.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:11 PM, easybronc said:

If you believe that putting Japanese Americans into internment camps is remotely similar to vetting immigrants and deporting illegal aliens then you are living in an alternate reality.  

Not necessarily the vetting immigrants and deporting illegals, but 9/11 gave us the Patriot Act. It can be argued that ever since then we have all been put in internment.

16 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Hmm i have read some stuff about japanese americans being moved from Hawaii to Wyoming or Nebraska.  

Quite possible i am miss-remembering.

Some were, but it wasn't the wholesale "evacuation" that we had on the West Coast.  It wasn't feasible.