VincentVegaBond

Massimino to the HALL OF FAME?!?!?! What the hell?

Anyone see this article?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18711148/rollie-massimino-chris-webber-finalists-basketball-hall-fame

Rollie Massimino is a FINALIST for the HALL OF FAME?  What is this world coming to?  

How could he even be considered?  He won 1 fluke NCAA championship, but other than that, what has he done to even deserve token consideration?  Even in his 'heyday' at Villanova, he only made the NCAA's about half  the time and was never close to being a national power.  

Then he came in and DESTROYED THE UNLV PROGRAM!!!  Shouldn't this automatically make him ineligible?  

After 7 sub-mediocre years at Cleveland State (and a below .500 record), he hasn't even coached D1 in like 15 years.  

As bad as Rice did as UNLV coach, by all accounts Fat Mass was even worse... far worse.  I'm way more upset at this fawning article than I should be, but it PISSES ME THE F OFF!!!!!  

• Like 1

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

i saw it...hopefully he doesn't get in, it'll make me sick, lol.

This article alone made me sick and infuriated me beyond comprehension.

Some tasty nuggets:

"But then you see him on TV so much, you see all these videos made about him, the movies about Villanova and everything, and it just hits you. You realize that he's a legend. I mean, your coach is a walking legend. With the energy and everything he comes in with, it's inspiring."

He was indeed a 'legend'.  Legendarily incompetent at his freaking job, so much so he hasn't sniffed the D1 level in 15 years despite having a NCAA championship!  You gotta be realllly incompetent for that to happen without major scandal.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

How did "Fat Mass" destroy the UNLV program?  In his first year they won 21 games and finished second in conference.  I see he dropped off big time in year two, what happened?  

43 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Anyone see this article?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18711148/rollie-massimino-chris-webber-finalists-basketball-hall-fame

Rollie Massimino is a FINALIST for the HALL OF FAME?  What is this world coming to?  

How could he even be considered?  He won 1 fluke NCAA championship, but other than that, what has he done to even deserve token consideration?  Even in his 'heyday' at Villanova, he only made the NCAA's about half  the time and was never close to being a national power.  

Then he came in and DESTROYED THE UNLV PROGRAM!!!  Shouldn't this automatically make him ineligible?  

After 7 sub-mediocre years at Cleveland State (and a below .500 record), he hasn't even coached D1 in like 15 years.  

As bad as Rice did as UNLV coach, by all accounts Fat Mass was even worse... far worse.  I'm way more upset at this fawning article than I should be, but it PISSES ME THE F OFF!!!!!  

Is there such a thing as a "fluke nat'l championship?"

But even with the NC, I'm not sure he has a HOF resume'.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

9 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Is there such a thing as a "fluke nat'l championship?"

But even with the NC, I'm not sure he has a HOF resume'.

Not sure?  He has easily the most pitiful HOF 'resume' I've ever seen before, and it's not even close.

Outside a 7-year stretch at Villanova (where he made the NCAA's for 7 consecutive years, also advanced to the second round every year and won the NC and 3 S16's), he coached 21 other years in D1, only made the NCAA's 4 times in those 21 years.

Never made a final 4, in 28 years as a D1 HC, other than that 1 lightning-in-the-bottle NC.

Even his 7 year heyday, while it was good, wasn't close to being among the best in the game.  And the other 21 years were steaming turds.

481-375 (.562) career record in NCAA D1... 

What a 'legend'!

• Like 3

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

How did "Fat Mass" destroy the UNLV program?  In his first year they won 21 games and finished second in conference.  I see he dropped off big time in year two, what happened?  

Nvm:  found the answer.

http://www.si.com/vault/1994/10/24/132357/divorce-vegas-style-unlv-gave-embattled-basketball-coach-rollie-massimino-his-walking-papers-but-not-before-paying-him-a-fat-cash-settlement

• Like 1

It's not the Division 1 Hall of Fame.  It's the Basketball Hall of Fame.  And he's already in the College Basketball Hall of Fame.

And 11 NCAA trips in 19 years, including years where the tournament was much smaller, is worthy of consideration.  And yes, they were a power during his tenure.  His short stint at UNLV hardly is grounds for disqualification...unless you happened to be biased that way.

• Like 2

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

8 hours ago, RSF said:

It's not the Division 1 Hall of Fame.  It's the Basketball Hall of Fame.  And he's already in the College Basketball Hall of Fame.

And 11 NCAA trips in 19 years, including years where the tournament was much smaller, is worthy of consideration.  And yes, they were a power during his tenure.  His short stint at UNLV hardly is grounds for disqualification...unless you happened to be biased that way.

I agree with you on all points. B)

15 hours ago, RSF said:

Yessir, that monstrous  481-375 (.562) career record in NCAA D1 record (and far below .500 his last decade-plus!!) in D1, the total, utter lack of interest in him for any decent D1 team for over 2 decades and counting... that resume just begs hall of fame, doesn't it?  

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

Go look up Marv Harshman and Ralph Miller then tell me Massimino isnt worthy of consideration.  Or John Chaney.  Or Clarence Gaines and Herb Magee, who never coached a day in Division 1.

12 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Yessir, that monstrous  481-375 (.562) career record in NCAA D1 record (and far below .500 his last decade-plus!!) in D1, the total, utter lack of interest in him for any decent D1 team for over 2 decades and counting... that resume just begs hall of fame, doesn't it?  

When he left UNLV, he was 60.  Most schools arent inclined to raid the AARP closet for their new coach.  Lefty Driesell coached at James Madison and Georgia State after leaving Maryland at age 55.  Some guys just want to coach.

Again, reading comprehension.  Its not the Division 1 Hall of Fame.

And your math aint great, either.   9 games under .500 over 10 years, while not HOF worthy when viewed in a vacuum (which its not), is also far from 'far below .500', too.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

Guest RoscoesDad

The UNLV fan reaction to this is amusing to say the least and right on par with how quickly they lose their collective shit over anyone they feel slighted the program in any way. Good grief,  It's not Rollie's fault that we had a shitty AD/President that negotiated the secret contract.  Chris Beard used UNLV a lot worse than Rollie, but he gets a pass and TKM gets the blame for that. Beard's just a normal coach who used a small time wannabe AD like his bitch.  Meanwhile Rollie is satan for using our AD/Pres to score a 'secret contract' at the time.  LMFAO.  If Rollie Mass getting inducted to the CBB HOF makes you that angry and hateful, perhaps it's time to get a grip.  Personally I think he is borderline HOF material, but I could honestly give zero Fs whether he gets inducted or not.  Like seriously...who cares?  He was here 20+ years ago.  Let it go already.

22 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

The UNLV fan reaction to this is amusing to say the least and right on par with how quickly they lose their collective shit over anyone they feel slighted the program in any way. Good grief,  It's not Rollie's fault that we had a shitty AD/President that negotiated the secret contract.  Chris Beard used UNLV a lot worse than Rollie, but he gets a pass and TKM gets the blame for that. Beard's just a normal coach who used a small time wannabe AD like his bitch.  Meanwhile Rollie is satan for using our AD/Pres to score a 'secret contract' at the time.  LMFAO.  If Rollie Mass getting inducted to the CBB HOF makes you that angry and hateful, perhaps it's time to get a grip.  Personally I think he is borderline HOF material, but I could honestly give zero Fs whether he gets inducted or not.  Like seriously...who cares?  He was here 20+ years ago.  Let it go already.

LOL, I agree. I got no love for Rollie, but I lived thru those years, and the Rice/Beard fiasco we just went thru is worse, IMO.

Rollie was a really good coach for a long time. He was just the complete opposite of what UNLV needed at that time, and UNLV was too stupid to do its homework. Kruger (and arguably Spoon) aside, that's been the case for every hire since Tark left.