NMpackalum

Going to Buenos Aires next month

It's still Winter down there, bring a jacket. Argentinian women love to dance so learn the Tango. And there's an interesting National Park outside of Buenos Aires called Iguazu. B)

Here's some more things to do there: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g312741-Activities-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

All of my information is about 13 years out of date, but...

Eat some asado. I never had it in a restaurant, just with friends, but I imagine that ba has restaurants where you can get some. It's the national dish.

Drink the local wine. When we were there, a decent bottle was the equivalent of 4 bucks and a liter (yes, they sell beer by the liter bottle) of beer was about 1.75 in a restaurant. I'm using dollars because they've had a lot of inflation lately. We liked graffigna malbec. Also, the wines are sweeter, they aren't as in to dry wine as we are.

Try yerba mate, it is their coffee. It tasted like hat to me.

Dulce de leche is Argentine, get some in a pastry.

The country has probably more italian influence than Spanish so there are good gelato shops everywhere.

Lastly Argentina is a young man's country. Discos that don't get busy until 2 am and wind down at 7, casual sex more acceptable and frequent than here ( certainly more acceptable and frequent fot high school kids) and in general life is a party.

If you are spending more than a week there let me know, there's a lot more than just ba.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Also... it's summer there and humid right now :)

Yerba mate tasted like hay to me, not "hat". whoops. 

Also, the water is fine. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 2/19/2017 at 9:45 AM, happycamper said:

All of my information is about 13 years out of date, but...

Eat some asado. I never had it in a restaurant, just with friends, but I imagine that ba has restaurants where you can get some. It's the national dish.

Drink the local wine. When we were there, a decent bottle was the equivalent of 4 bucks and a liter (yes, they sell beer by the liter bottle) of beer was about 1.75 in a restaurant. I'm using dollars because they've had a lot of inflation lately. We liked graffigna malbec. Also, the wines are sweeter, they aren't as in to dry wine as we are.

Try yerba mate, it is their coffee. It tasted like hat to me.

Dulce de leche is Argentine, get some in a pastry.

The country has probably more italian influence than Spanish so there are good gelato shops everywhere.

Lastly Argentina is a young man's country. Discos that don't get busy until 2 am and wind down at 7, casual sex more acceptable and frequent than here ( certainly more acceptable and frequent fot high school kids) and in general life is a party.

If you are spending more than a week there let me know, there's a lot more than just ba.

Thanks, unfortunately, I'm not young enough to hit the discos and take advantage of the casual sex. Taking the daughter on a bonding trip before she heads off to college. I'd really like to hit the rivers for fishing but Patagonia is a little far away for a week trip.

23 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Thanks, unfortunately, I'm not young enough to hit the discos and take advantage of the casual sex. Taking the daughter on a bonding trip before she heads off to college. I'd really like to hit the rivers for fishing but Patagonia is a little far away for a week trip.

Hmm, a couple thoughts for a week trip.

First off, the beaches in that part of South America just kinda suck. They're windy, the water is cold, there's not really any snorkeling. The good beaches in Brazil are on its northern shore, about 1000 miles away. 

Second, Patagonia probably isn't that far off for a week trip. Argentina has a GREAT bus network that lets you have the equivalent of a 1st class plane ride on a bus. The seats are super comfortable and you can get one for the night, sleep on the bus, and arrive at your destination refreshed. Via Bariloche was the best line when I was there and, fortunately for you, they are named after their main destination, the tourist mecca of Patagonia, Bariloche. When we were there you got a meal and a complimentary nightcap of whisky on the trip. You could hop on at night, be in Bariloche (or San Martin, another beautiful mountain tourist town, just smaller than Bariloche) in the morning, spend a couple days, and come back up at night without missing a day of vacation. 

Third, there's a big swamp/lake area called Ibera a few hours north of Buenos Aires. (don't drink the water there. BA and points south are safe, north of about Santa Fe is not). It is one of the most amazing animal habitats I've been to. Caiman, tapirs, capybaras, anacondas, piranhas, you name it. There are floating islands out there created by vegetation and there's a native group of people that live on the floating islands. You can get tours on canoe and see all of this and walk on one of the islands. Highly recommended. 

Fourth, if you're in to wine, take a bus to Mendoza. It's Argentina's Napa Valley and in the shadow of the Andes. You can take tours of the vineyards and the city itself is beautiful. If Mendoza is a little far, you can go to Cordoba but I didn't like it as much. 

You could probably do one of these trips; spend 3-4 days in BA and then 2 days elsewhere to get more of the flavor of the country. Argentina is kind of like New York State, there's The City and then the rest of the country (although not to the same degree as, say, Chile and from what I hear upstate is kinda crappy while the rest of Argentina is geographically prettier than Buenos Aires and in the case of Patagonia wealthier per capita, and there's also a cultural connection to the pampas that New York City doesn't have). 

Lastly, a note on the culture. Any time any guy meets a guy after being formally introduced, you shake his hand. It doesn't matter if it is your best friend, you saw him yesterday, and you're stopping by to chat, shake his hand (actually, if he's your good buddy, you probably kiss him on the cheek, too). Any time a guy meets a girl, he kisses her on the cheek. Every time. Any time a girl meets a girl, she kisses her on the cheek. Every time. That means if two mixed groups of guys and girls meet, everything stops until everyone from group A has kissed/shaken the hand from everyone of group B. I made the mistake of not kissing the cute neighbor sisters on the cheek one time after being in country for 4 months and hanging out every day and I got harangued and told "Johnny GREET US" in a hurt tone. I figure this advice is pertinent if you start wondering why everyone is kissing your daughter on the cheek every time they see her.