BSUTOP25

Before Kaperslap getting tackled by the shoestring in the 4th overtime, before Brotz and Grandmagate, there was this thriller between Boise State and UNR

25 minutes ago, Bob said:

So has Boise always been a blatant ripoff of the Denver Broncos?

Nevada unis are slick and so as is the top hat wolf logo. 

You have it wrong - Denver stole our mascot and colors. 

• Like 2

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 minute ago, bigd said:

Great find, I'm definitely glad we get Boise again the next couple years. It sucks not playing every season.

The MW unbalanced schedule with no protected out of division rivalries.  SMH

• Like 1

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

4 hours ago, battle.borne said:

#2, the Boise kicker, rocking the ultra fresh power mullet.

That kicker I think is Mike Black.  He is and has been a spotter in the NFL for MNF (I think) for years.  He had a decent non-NFL career... USFL, arena, maybe even Canada.  I remember the MNF staff calling him out after the first Fiesta Bowl win and him talking about it a bit. 

I remember that game!  Those old Big Sky shoot outs were crazy fun.

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for posting that video. I'd also like to see the Packs triple OT game against Furman the week before. I was at those games. Hard core Zonie in those days, good times!

Nevada and Boise St have had some epic battles.

One thing I miss about the 1AA days were those playoffs.

I've also been looking for the 1986 playoff game between Nevada & Georgia Southern at Mackay, if anyone runs across it. Pack lost but Tracy Ham from GSU was a lot of fun to watch.

• Like 2

Kaepernick. It's not close. Varg was a clutch QB and played as the Pack's entered its best stretch of football, minus 2010, of course. He had that on field presence that helped him transcend hiis physical tools, but Kaep was clearly the better player. He had similar leadership abilities and his physical tools were superior. 

Having watched both the Weber State comeback and the comeback against BSU in 2010, I'd say the latter was a greater achievement. Weber State was a good team that year, but Nevada was a better team overall, one of the best in 1AA. The 2010 BSU team was great, the best they ever fielded and better than Nevada's all-time greatest team, just not that strange night. Some Bronco folks don't agree, and I understand their reasoning, they lost the game, after all. Shit happens. The deficit wasn't as great, but the weighing the competition and the stakes, it was in my eyes a greater comeback. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

Kaepernick. It's not close. Varg was a clutch QB and played as the Pack's entered its best stretch of football, minus 2010, of course. He had that on field presence that helped him transcend hiis physical tools, but Kaep was clearly the better player. He had similar leadership abilities and his physical tools were superior. 

Having watched both the Weber State comeback and the comeback against BSU in 2010, I'd say the latter was a greater achievement. Weber State was a good team that year, but Nevada was a better team overall, one of the best in 1AA. The 2010 BSU team was great, the best they ever fielded and better than Nevada's all-time greatest team, just not that strange night. Some Bronco folks don't agree, and I understand their reasoning, they lost the game, after all. Shit happens. The deficit wasn't as great, but the weighing the competition and the stakes, it was in my eyes a greater comeback. 

I concur with so much of this. The competition never really feared Vargas. Yes he was a miracle worker but none of those opposing teams really thought it would happen to them. Kaepernick was THE focus of the opposition. I had the unique opportunity of being on the visitors sideline for every home snap he ever took. And even though the players and coaches prepared for him with diligence, he was ALWAYS, faster, tougher and smarter than they thought. 1st quarter was "he's not that fast" "hit him hard and he's done" "just make him throw the ball". That includes Texas Tech, Mizzu and Cal. And after a few series the tone changed. I remember Graham Herrel? Michael Crabtree and Mike Leach talking about how impressed they were seeing him in person. 

And with that said, you know who didn't see him different? Who had confidence that he wouldn't beat them? 2010 Boise St. That team believed  they would win that game until the final kick. They had a swagger and confidence I hadn't seen. They respected Nevada but knew they were better. They had a game plan and knew it would work. Up, down, tied, behind. That was the most confident team I ever experienced. Nevada had no business beating Boise that night, and somehow, some way, it happened. 

• Like 2