Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badfish

SDSU '18

7 minutes ago, Fowl said:

I'm actually very surprised we went after your committed RB.  That's not Rocky as he has publicly stated and privately said to me that he will not offer a recruit who is committed elsewhere unless that recruit reaches out to the coaching staff.  So either the recruit felt shunned by Boise and reached out or Rocky got offended by Boise's move elsewhere and decided to retaliate.  I don't know which it is but it is surprising.

Yea, were not saints, but you rarely see us offer already committed guys. Either respect, or not worth the hassle. I was pretty shocked to see that offer.

@kingpotato Justice is a big commit. We've had a few 4* in recent years that haven't panned out (4* LB Tezino finally seems to be realizing his potential this season). Justice is huge cuz he's a local. We always struggle to recruit SD, but do really well in IE/Central CA/ LA. Justice picking us over USC and a bunch of offers AND DOING IT SO EARLY, was huge. We weren't his fallback, he legit wants to go here and make a name for himself. Pretty cool for us. Ahmad is hard to judge, especially considering he hasn't visited. Our bowl game is in his home town, and he's good buds with our FR QB, so hope he comes out.

12 hours ago, badfish said:

Yea, were not saints, but you rarely see us offer already committed guys. Either respect, or not worth the hassle. I was pretty shocked to see that offer.

@kingpotato Justice is a big commit. We've had a few 4* in recent years that haven't panned out (4* LB Tezino finally seems to be realizing his potential this season). Justice is huge cuz he's a local. We always struggle to recruit SD, but do really well in IE/Central CA/ LA. Justice picking us over USC and a bunch of offers AND DOING IT SO EARLY, was huge. We weren't his fallback, he legit wants to go here and make a name for himself. Pretty cool for us. Ahmad is hard to judge, especially considering he hasn't visited. Our bowl game is in his home town, and he's good buds with our FR QB, so hope he comes out.

Ratings are just fun to follow. I also go straight to the offer list to see who else wanted him. But neither ultimately determines how good a player will or won't be.

Boise has been whiffing on a lot of their high profile guys. I said going into this last season that I was happy to see so many former walk-ons in the starting line up for Boise. Five starters this year were former walk-ons for the Broncos, including a 1st team OL, one of the best return men in the league, and the DPOTY. There is just an edge walk-ons bring that some of those high talent guys don't.

37 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Ratings are just fun to follow. I also go straight to the offer list to see who else wanted him. But neither ultimately determines how good a player will or won't be.

Boise has been whiffing on a lot of their high profile guys. I said going into this last season that I was happy to see so many former walk-ons in the starting line up for Boise. Five starters this year were former walk-ons for the Broncos, including a 1st team OL, one of the best return men in the league, and the DPOTY. There is just an edge walk-ons bring that some of those high talent guys don't.

Very true about walk-ons. It's good to see the MWC recruiting better as a whole. 

3 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Tell me about it.

IMO the main reason SDSU basketball declined during Fisher's last 2-3 seasons was that very thing. I think the staff was guilty of having become concerned with bringing in 4-star recruits with a couple offers from the true big boys of the sport to the detriment of focusing on the type of hungry gym rat 3-star guys that were the foundation of Fish's success. I don't know how many times Fish himself traveled to LV to see Winston Shepard at Finley Prep. Shep never got into trouble and he hustled like hell but I have to think our staff overlooked how wild and out of control he typically played. Shep was a 4-star recruit whereas Xavier Thames was a 3-star but X was a much better college player.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, badfish said:

Predictions just flipped for 4* DB from Notre Dame to SDSU. He visited last week. Really wanted to get Chris Mitchell (who is down to Wazzu, CSU and Boise), but I'd take Bracy in a heart beat.

https://247sports.com/Player/Tariq-Bracy-90838

Where did you see that about Mitchell? 

Jordan Byrd visited this weekend. After taking an OV to Arizona, looks like he decided to stay committed to us. No clue how a guy with 4 P5 offers (including Washington) is only rated 81, but oh well. Dude is a STUD. Likely a slot WR/RB.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jordan-Byrd-91330/RecruitInterests

6 hours ago, badfish said:

Jordan Byrd visited this weekend. After taking an OV to Arizona, looks like he decided to stay committed to us. No clue how a guy with 4 P5 offers (including Washington) is only rated 81, but oh well. Dude is a STUD. Likely a slot WR/RB.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jordan-Byrd-91330/RecruitInterests

24/7 has him an 87 which is a fringe 4****. He's only had two of the services rate him and obviously the other rating was low. They likely rated him a long time ago and never re-rated him. 

2 hours ago, schmalls said:

OT William Dunkle commits

6'5 345 lbs local kid outta Eastlake 
Held offers from Illinois, UCF, CSU, Fresno, UTEP, ETC...

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/william-dunkle-187692

Mammoth human. Once he leans out, he'll be a force. Really wanted to be an Aztec too, finally got the offer a couple days ago and jumped on it. A legacy player, his uncle played here.