MWC Tex

OT: LIberty University moving to FBS / Indy (starting 2018)

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=17950&TeamID=

Quote:Liberty University received notification today that the NCAA has approved its request to enter into the Football Bowl Subdivision reclassification process.

Liberty University submitted the waiver with the NCAA in January, requesting relief to enter into the two-year FBS reclassification process without an invitation to join a FBS conference.

The NCAA academic and membership affairs staff approved the request after seeking feedback from the NCAA Division I Strategic Vision and Planning Committee, the NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee and the NCAA office of legal affairs.

The NCAA waiver approval was based upon Liberty providing substantial information demonstrating its readiness to begin the reclassification process, Liberty's ability to follow current FBS institutions who have demonstrated viability without a conference affiliation and the university's ability to satisfy FBS requirements.

Starting with the 2017-18 academic year, Liberty's football program will begin the two-year FBS reclassification process.

Liberty will compete as a FBS independent during the 2018 season, which includes having three FBS home games. The football program will be bowl eligible starting with the 2019 season and will be required to play at least five home FBS opponents.

Well, they have the money but with this waiver now we can see more waivers with NDSU, Wichita St, UTRGV, ....etc

Guest #1Stunner

LIBERTY UNIVERSITY:

"Ian McCaw has a vision for Liberty University athletics, and he is very eager to see it through.

“My vision for Liberty is to position it as a pre-eminent Christian athletic program in America and garner the same type of appeal among the Christian community as Notre Dame achieves among the Catholic community and BYU garners from the Mormons,” McCaw said."

http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=215625

3 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Just how dum are all these wannabes in moving up to FBS status just when it's apparent that G5 conferences as we know them could cease to exist by 2030?

Well...at least in Liberty's case, they have there TV channel like BYU that they show the football games on.   

However, they just now diluted BYU CFP portion even more with NMSU so to be joining the Indy ranks.

Guest #1Stunner
21 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Well now BYU can schedule them for November games.

I'm in favor of BYU scheduling Liberty in November.

I believe that Liberty also has its own sports network, similar to BYUtv.

2 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Well...at least in Liberty's case, they have there TV channel like BYU that they show the football games on. 

Just Googled Liberty's website and saw that Joe Theismann and James Dobson had recently spoken there. So I might even watch Liberty TV - to root against the school which would invite a couple schmucks like that to speak.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
9 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Just how dum are all these wannabes in moving up to FBS status just when it's apparent that G5 conferences as we know them could cease to exist by 2030?

Liberty University.....while I'm not a huge fan of the school, they certainly have plenty of money.

They also currently already have decent faciltiies, which they will probably spend money on and improve. 

stadium_fan_guide_photo.jpg

20151119_5696MB%20(Copy).jpg

d.arena_.jpg

15 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

They want to eventually join the Sun Belt and earn a quick pay day before:sh*tfan: by 2030 as you put it.  Plus playing in a low tiered FBS bowl brings more attention to them than some lowly FCS playoff - or so the belief is.

25 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

However, they just now diluted BYU CFP portion even more with NMSU so to be joining the Indy ranks.

You see the Big South kicking them out for all sports?

6 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

They are?

edit: thought you were talking about NMSU

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

No.  They'll still be with the Big South.   There is also a mutual relationship between the Big South that play football and I think its the A-sun that doesn't sponsor football that they have schools in the A-Sun to play football in the Big South. 

• Like 1

I change the title from 2019 to 2018 because they are starting the transition process this year and will be a FCS Indy (like Coastal was this year) and then the first transition year is 2018 as a FBS Indy.  2019 is when they will be bowl eligible.

17 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

I change the title from 2019 to 2018 because they are starting the transition process this year and will be a FCS Indy (like Coastal was this year) and then the first transition year is 2018 as a FBS Indy.  2019 is when they will be bowl eligible.

Congrats to the Flames.

Image result for liberty flames football helmet

Guest #1Stunner

Looks like Liberty University is affiliated with the Southern Baptists.

I'm assuming that they have a lot in common with Baylor University, then....

Good luck to Liberty University.  I am in favor of BYU scheduling them, even though I'm not big on some of their Conservative political positions.