Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am Ram

Beater cars

I love a good beater car. No worrying about dings and scratches, maintenance optional, no car payments. I have a 1980 Volvo 245. Whether I go to the grocery store or whether I take it up Mt. Hood, it always drives with the same reliable shittiness. It's insanely comfortable, my dog loves it, and it's the scourge of all neighborhood cleanup events (because it fits the payload of a truck but they have to charge you for a car).

Oh, and pleeeenty of space in the engine bay. One day I might swap in an LS engine.

This is not mine, but it comes close.

3829891126_6fa944f8e6_b.jpg

Do you have any good beaters? Any dream shit boxes you hope to own someday? I'd love a Crown Vic or an old CRX.

3 hours ago, I am Ram said:

I love a good beater car. No worrying about dings and scratches, maintenance optional, no car payments. I have a 1980 Volvo 245. Whether I go to the grocery store or whether I take it up Mt. Hood, it always drives with the same reliable shittiness. It's insanely comfortable, my dog loves it, and it's the scourge of all neighborhood cleanup events (because it fits the payload of a truck but they have to charge you for a car).

Oh, and pleeeenty of space in the engine bay. One day I might swap in an LS engine.

Do you have any good beaters? Any dream shit boxes you hope to own someday? I'd love a Crown Vic or an old CRX.

I also had a 1980 245. It was the typical dark green; great beater car/ dog hauler!

Guest #1Stunner
4 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Why are those old Volvos so popular with Lesbians?

http://roygbiv.jezebel.com/these-are-the-top-10-gay-and-lesbian-cars-1569142181

Starting with the Top 10 Lesbian Cars, we have:

10. Chevy S10

9. Volvo Wagon

8. Ford Ranger

7. Nissan X-Terra

6. Geo Tracker

5. Honda CR-V

4. Ford F-150

3. Jeep Wrangler

2. Subaru Forester

1. Subaru Outback

25 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

10. Chevy S10

9. Volvo Wagon

8. Ford Ranger

7. Nissan X-Terra

6. Geo Tracker

5. Honda CR-V

4. Ford F-150

3. Jeep Wrangler

2. Subaru Forester

1. Subaru Outback

Uh.....damnit! The first two vehicles I owned are on that list. :facepalm:  

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

11 minutes ago, WyomingCoog said:

Uh.....damnit! The first two vehicles I owned are on that list. :facepalm:  

Wait, when you say the first two, do you mean the Chevy and the Volvo or the Subaru's?

If it's the Subaru's: STOP! Do not pass go! Immediately Fed-Ex your conservative credentials to @BSUTOP25.

If it's the S10 and Volvo, carry on; I've had both of those. 

BTW, how come so many guys seem to like those lesbian Ford F-150's?

4 hours ago, renoskier said:

Wait, when you say the first two, do you mean the Chevy and the Volvo or the Subaru's?

If it's the Subaru's: STOP! Do not pass go! Immediately Fed-Ex your conservative credentials to @BSUTOP25.

If it's the S10 and Volvo, carry on; I've had both of those. 

BTW, how come so many guys seem to like those lesbian Ford F-150's?

Nah. I meant the first two cars I owned were on the list. Not the order. First was a Ford Ranger, then an X-Terra

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

My first car was a beater of sorts. It was a 1973 Pontiac Ventura and it had a three on the tree manual transmission that would stick sometimes. I'd have to open the hood and beat it into neutral with a mallet. But the body and upholstery looked good. B)

ry%3D480

When it comes to cars, I find beauty in function. I don't get excited about $100,000 sports cars. But I love a car that does its job well. Whether that's a truck or a compact car doesn't matter. The other day, I saw a guy haul a truckload of wood in a barebones minivan - awesome!

I am actually planning to buy an old truck this spring. A late 80s/early 90s fullsize or a mid 90s Dodge Dakota. Haven't decided yet.

27 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

When it comes to cars, I find beauty in function. I don't get excited about $100,000 sports cars. But I love a car that does its job well. Whether that's a truck or a compact car doesn't matter. The other day, I saw a guy haul a truckload of wood in a barebones minivan - awesome!

I am actually planning to buy an old truck this spring. A late 80s/early 90s fullsize or a mid 90s Dodge Dakota. Haven't decided yet.

I've a 95 Ford Bronco, would highly recommend. It's not a "beater" for me, I take care of it, but it can take a beating and pretty much go anywhere. It's really easy to remove the rear bench seat and free up plenty of room for cargo. Especially if you like the outdoors/camping etc.

old trucks, new cars

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

10 minutes ago, Chile_Ute said:

Mine is number one on the list bitches.  Approaching 300k on the odometer.

Custom gun rack in the back window, NRA sticker on one side, rainbow on the other and a bunch of ski resorts in between.

I don't understand the distaste for Subarus... My wife, at the time GF, had a Subaru and it worked well going from the SF to Tahoe in the winter. I thought it was a POS but that was after it was wrecked in a prior accident... My friend had a WRX, drove it on the Autobahn, nothing negative to say about it.

25 minutes ago, Chile_Ute said:

Mine is number one on the list bitches.  Approaching 300k on the odometer.

Custom gun rack in the back window, NRA sticker on one side, rainbow on the other and a bunch of ski resorts in between.

My old truck had these two sticker side by side. Some folks thought it was an interesting combo:

Image result for grateful dead stickers

Image result for aopa sticker

36 minutes ago, renoskier said:

My old truck had these two sticker side by side. Some folks thought it was an interesting combo:

Image result for grateful dead stickers

Image result for aopa sticker

They probably thought you were a drug trafficker. :ph34r:

23 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

10. Chevy S10

9. Volvo Wagon

8. Ford Ranger

7. Nissan X-Terra

6. Geo Tracker

5. Honda CR-V

4. Ford F-150

3. Jeep Wrangler

2. Subaru Forester

1. Subaru Outback

Makes it easier to move into their girlfriends house after the second date.

2 hours ago, SFtoVA said:

I've a 95 Ford Bronco, would highly recommend. It's not a "beater" for me, I take care of it, but it can take a beating and pretty much go anywhere. It's really easy to remove the rear bench seat and free up plenty of room for cargo. Especially if you like the outdoors/camping etc.

Ford is bringing back the Bronco, just in time for OJ's parole hearing later this year. 

New-Ford-Bronco-Review.jpg

On 2/16/2017 at 10:48 AM, I am Ram said:

The old Nissan 4 wheel drive hard bodies.