wolfpack1

Some Interesting NIT Bracketology (Update 3-12-17)

The NIT is a pretty good tournament, especially when they get down to the Madison Square Garden games. SJSU has been to the NCAA's 3 times, once to the NIT and once to the CBI. I think we can make it to either the CBI or CIT next month. B) Best wishes to all MWC teams down the stretch. 

NCAA logo.svg National Invitation Tournament.svg College Basketball Invitational (shield).png CIT JPG Color.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cardrater said:

3 teams in the NIT seems way too high. 

NCAA-Nevada

NIT-Col. St. BSU

CBI- Fresno St. SJSU

TURN DOWN CBI OR CIT INVITES

SDSU, New. Mex

Not sure if things have change for the NIT from the past, but they use to put a lot of value in teams that could draw big crowds to their  NITT home games, and would reward them with 1-2 homes games before having to travel... The NIT would get a cut of the gate. If that's still true, UNM and SDSU would draw better home crowds than most of the NIT field would, even their higher seeded teams.

But agree with you on the "pay to play" tourneys... just say no UNM!

• Like 1

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

52 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Not sure if things have change for the NIT from the past, but they use to put a lot of value in teams that could draw big crowds to their  NITT home games, and would reward them with 1-2 homes games before having to travel... The NIT would get a cut of the gate. If that's still true, UNM and SDSU would draw better home crowds than most of the NIT field would, even their higher seeded teams.

But agree with you on the "pay to play" tourneys... just say no UNM!

This is no longer the case ever since the NCAA took over management of the NIT.

The NIT invites and seeds teams using NCAAT criteria.

Even if attendance was a factor, UNM would be in trouble because of Ty Murray's bulls.

8 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

http://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

Has Nevada in the NCAA Tournament as a 12 seed then has Boise St in the NIT

http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/

They have San Diego St, Boise St and New Mexico in the NIT field.

They actually have the Aztecs as just a bubble team and that's about right. However, we're now one step toward the 4-2 regular season finish which would guarantee us a bye the first day of the MWC tourney with home games against UNLV, AFA and Fresno still to go so I'm feeling comfortable that we will enter the LV Invitational with 18 wins. 20 wins by any MWC school means it's a lock for the NIT and I think for a team with the recent history SDSU has had, even 19 would get it done.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, cardrater said:

3 teams in the NIT seems way too high. 

NCAA-Nevada

NIT-Col. St. BSU

CBI- Fresno St. SJSU

TURN DOWN CBI OR CIT INVITES

SDSU, New. Mex

I'd chose the Vegas 16 tournament instead of the CIT or CBI tourney.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

I'd chose the Vegas 16 tournament instead of the CIT or CBI tourney.

The Vegas 16 is a nice idea - IF it can be promoted better.  Last year it struggled to even field eight teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

The Vegas 16 is a nice idea - IF it can be promoted better.  Last year it struggled to even field eight teams.

Well it was brand new and no has had more than a year to organized for this year's tourney.  They have CBSSN broadcasting it so there is coverage that the CIT and CBI don't provide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

I disagree. Teams in the CBI have a chance to host games and make some good money. Last year Nevada ended up hosting 5 games and made several hundred grand.

We also had like 5 of their 7 highest attended games. We almost outdrew the field averaging only 6.5k a game if memory serves me.

I would have been happy for the NIT coming in to this season, make a nice run versus running in to a buzzsaw on TV is a tough choice.

7 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Well it was brand new and no has had more than a year to organized for this year's tourney.  They have CBSSN broadcasting it so there is coverage that the CIT and CBI don't provide.

I am also hoping this tournament becomes the real thing.  It is a good idea.  Just needs some legs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

I disagree. Teams in the CBI have a chance to host games and make some good money. Last year Nevada ended up hosting 5 games and made several hundred grand.

Sure...only if you are the host team but that isn't a guarantee.  Getting a MW team in the Tourney would help get this more support.  

I think they'll get to 16 teams this year as the feedback from coaches, players and AD of last years tourney was pretty good.  AD's love that they have a set amount and not have to worry about where to fly to next and how much that is going to cost. 

We'll see what happens this year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Sure...only if you are the host team but that isn't a guarantee.  Getting a MW team in the Tourney would help get this more support.  

I think they'll get to 16 teams this year as the feedback from coaches, players and AD of last years tourney was pretty good.  AD's love that they have a set amount and not have to worry about where to fly to next and how much that is going to cost. 

We'll see what happens this year.

Yes, but the road teams have their expenses taken care of. How much are the Vegas 8/16 teams paid? I'd much rather have the chance of getting an additional home game and making some cash. Also, MWC teams already go to Vegas twice a year, it's not like it's anything special.

NIT is run by the NCAA but it is still a money game. If you don't pony up the money you won't get a home game for NIT.  In the end all the postseason tournaments minus NCAA, really comes down to money and if finding ways to pay for it. 

But again also comes down to the conference tournaments, a few upsets (which there will be) will knock some teams out because there isn't any spots for them so if one of the other tournaments come calling they may listen. To me I think if Vegas comes calling more teams will listen to them at first than CBI or CIT I think. I believe that CIT could be on its last legs as a postseason tournament.

4 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

I'd love an NIT bid.. Would make this season a success in my eyes. Although they have done much better than I thought.

I think Boise has declined any post season tournament below the NIT.

I wonder this season though.   Leon's team are a bunch of youngsters and the post season rigor might help them grow a bit.  

That is if he would sit the 2 seniors (not happening)  and truly use the tournament as a development tool.   That's all a CBI, etc is good for IMO.

• Like 1