fbpack

MWC basketball freshman

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

He's done a fantastic job with dembele, considering where he started. I can't wait to see what the kid does next year after a year in the gym.  And Zion Morgan has improved a LOT . 

Agreed, individual development seems to be a strength of this staff (with the glaring exception of Poyser... I'll chalk him up to an outlier). Getting them to play consistently and cohesively seems to be a major issue. At least through the biased lens of a very small sample.

Just now, SharkTanked said:

Agreed, individual development seems to be a strength of this staff. Getting them to play consistently and cohesively seems to be a major issue. At least through the biased lens of a very small sample.

Again, I'll consider where he started with this group. Almost any other year some of these guys wouldn't be playin for unlv, and having never played together I'm going to give MM a pass for this year.  not surprised that they have hit a bit of a wall after several close losses, that if they had been a couple of points on the other side, MM could almost be coach of the year, lol. 

5 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Again, I'll consider where he started with this group. Almost any other year some of these guys wouldn't be playin for unlv, and having never played together I'm going to give MM a pass for this year.  not surprised that they have hit a bit of a wall after several close losses, that if they had been a couple of points on the other side, MM could almost be coach of the year, lol. 

Yup we will see. All I know was Menzies did nothing to really impress me this season. Close losses to the teams in this conference just don't give me hope, especially with as bad as the team defense was. I just wish he gave me more that proved he is going to be a really good coach for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

Yup we will see. All I know was Menzies did nothing to really impress me this season. Close losses to the teams in this conference just don't give me hope, especially with as bad as the team defense was. I just wish he gave me more that proved he is going to be a really good coach for us.

i hear you. i'm trying to stay optimistic at this point, i just hope that before long we can have fun again, like @toonkee said a few days ago. i was somewhat impressed with MM early on, he ran more plays in the first 20 minutes than CDR did in 5 years, and he does still draw up some really nice plays to get guys open, and good shots. but they can't be missing the bunnies like they have been. as for defense, i'm not sure some of these guys even have the capability, lol. time will tell.

On 2/15/2017 at 4:50 PM, TrueAg said:

Yes, Koby McEwen was an ESPN top 100 recruit and has lived up to that. In MWC play he is currently #7 in scoring (16.6pts/g), #9 in assists (2.9/g), and #3 in 3-PT FG% (43.5%) as a true freshman. He's not alone though, fellow freshman Sam Merrill is currently #4 in assists (3.5/g) and #1 in 3PT FG% (46.3%) and has also been the team's lock down defender. The duo makes up what is a pretty bright future for the Aggie backcourt.

Will your coach pan out after all? 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

6 hours ago, roughrider said:

has to be a step up from Rice.  His teams always play with passion anyway.

with the exception of the boise game (i have no idea what happened there, and i was even at the game) these kids have played hard until the end, even during a beatdown. they are just not very good.

12 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

i hear you. i'm trying to stay optimistic at this point, i just hope that before long we can have fun again, like @toonkee said a few days ago. i was somewhat impressed with MM early on, he ran more plays in the first 20 minutes than CDR did in 5 years, and he does still draw up some really nice plays to get guys open, and good shots. but they can't be missing the bunnies like they have been. as for defense, i'm not sure some of these guys even have the capability, lol. time will tell.

As bad as this season has been, it is obvious that the Rebels are not far off.  Playing a lot of young talent which has improved.  As stated, this team just misses so many bunnies it's unreal.  Never seen a team miss so many shots so close to the bucket.  Bring in a few slashers and finishers at the rim, and we have ourselves a completely different year.  I truly expect the Rebels to be back to the top of the MWC in two years.  Menzies is such a better coach than CDR.  He'll get it turned around here.  It shouldn't take too long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

with the exception of the boise game (i have no idea what happened there, and i was even at the game) these kids have played hard until the end, even during a beatdown. they are just not very good.

This year he gets a pass IMO.  His NMSU teams seemed to just love playing ball.   This year's team knows it's outclassed and it's got to be tough getting up for every game and sometimes you get up for a game and it starts like crap so you lose that energy.   It's a young team pasted together at the last minute, after every school already signed it's recruits.  I won't say he's going to be a big success in UNLV but I would sure give that man 3 seasons to see if he's got what it takes to get it done in Vegas.

• Like 1