mugtang

Moon landing?

6 minutes ago, SFtoVA said:

EME Array. Easily done in '69. Just sayin... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth–Moon–Earth_communication

Not really credible for the continuous broadcasting that the Apollo missions did. Furthermore they broadcast between the earth and the moon, that would be pretty obviously missing as well

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Not really credible for the continuous broadcasting that the Apollo missions did. Furthermore they broadcast between the earth and the moon, that would be pretty obviously missing as well

Tinfoil hat counters your continuous broadcast with pre-recorded.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SFtoVA said:

Tinfoil hat counters your continuous broadcast with pre-recorded.

I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about the fact that an EME array isn't exactly "high bandwidth". If they were continuously broadcasting there'd be noticeable dips in quality over time and cuts out from time to time as well. It's fine for bouncing a signal but it is not really fine for this usage. At least based on your link above, I was familiar with the idea but not the name or practice until reading it and now I'm a wikiexpert

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

53 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about the fact that an EME array isn't exactly "high bandwidth". If they were continuously broadcasting there'd be noticeable dips in quality over time and cuts out from time to time as well. It's fine for bouncing a signal but it is not really fine for this usage. At least based on your link above, I was familiar with the idea but not the name or practice until reading it and now I'm a wikiexpert

EME was my first thought based on faking a signal from the moon... I know very little other than what my HAM Dad explained to me with his EME. I think the limitations discussed on that link is specific to HAMs, I don't think govt. is limited to those?

NASA had to use a series of relays on earth/orbit then to Houston. There's no way the astronauts could communicate/send video to Houston directly the entire time. In fact, I think the video was relayed from Houston to the broadcasters? I don't think the broadcasters just "tuned" into the moon broadcast directly.

Point being, could all of those signals have been faked for someone who happens to be listening in?

On 3/15/2017 at 0:42 PM, SFtoVA said:

EME was my first thought based on faking a signal from the moon... I know very little other than what my HAM Dad explained to me with his EME. I think the limitations discussed on that link is specific to HAMs, I don't think govt. is limited to those?

NASA had to use a series of relays on earth/orbit then to Houston. There's no way the astronauts could communicate/send video to Houston directly the entire time. In fact, I think the video was relayed from Houston to the broadcasters? I don't think the broadcasters just "tuned" into the moon broadcast directly.

Point being, could all of those signals have been faked for someone who happens to be listening in?

Your last point is interesting. Please speculate on why and whom the signals were potentially 'faked' for ...

On 3/17/2017 at 8:27 PM, DestinFlPackfan said:

Your last point is interesting. Please speculate on why and whom the signals were potentially 'faked' for ...

I'm kind of torn on this... I'm going to have a dog in this fight at some point. I'd like to see where Mug takes it. I probably should have thought of that before I even responded with EME.

3 hours ago, SFtoVA said:

I'm kind of torn on this... I'm going to have a dog in this fight at some point. I'd like to see where Mug takes it. I probably should have thought of that before I even responded with EME.

Screw Mug?. It's your viewpoint that matters. That's what this is all about. ?

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2017 at 7:47 PM, DestinFlPackfan said:

Screw Mug?. It's your viewpoint that matters. That's what this is all about. ?

LOL! Well, since you put it like that...

I think the idea is that it would have to be faked for everyone including the Soviets and Americans. The why is that you would want everyone listening/watching to believe that the Americans (democracy) beat the Soviets (commies) to the moon, took the lead in the space race, and had a significant lead in science/technology overall.

I don't really have much to back this on, at all, but in my mind I think the space race was just as much about which form of government could pull something like the moon landing off before the other. If the Soviets beat the US to the moon (or faked it as well as Hollywood :)), that would have been a big coup for them.

Tinfoil hat edit added.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2017 at 3:06 PM, SFtoVA said:

LOL! Well, since you put it like that...

I think the idea is that it would have to be faked for everyone including the Soviets and Americans. The why is that you would want everyone listening/watching to believe that the Americans (democracy) beat the Soviets (commies) to the moon, took the lead in the space race, and had a significant lead in science/technology overall.

I don't really have much to back this on, at all, but in my mind I think the space race was just as much about which form of government could pull something like the moon landing off before the other. If the Soviets beat the US to the moon (or faked it as well as Hollywood :)), that would have been a big coup for them.

Tinfoil hat edit added.

Now, that's a damn good reason for 'getting to the moon' before the ruskies. Thanks for your thoughts!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2017 at 12:58 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

I'd heard of people that didn't believe the moon landing, but I'd never come across any. Par for the course nowadays I guess. 

Many adults in the late 60's didn't believe it.

On 10/15/2017 at 12:15 AM, bluerules009 said:

You mean 1969?

I never ran into anyone who didn't believe it.

Yes in 1969.

I met quite a few that didn't believe it.

7 hours ago, cardrater said:

I'll come out and say it. I don't believe we landed on the moon. I have my reasons but I'll tell you what, I piss off my family when I mention that at the dinner table.

This is the place my friend! Tell me why you don’t believe it.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On October 16, 2017 at 10:51 PM, StAz said:

Yes in 1969.

I met quite a few that didn't believe it.

On October 15, 2017 at 12:15 AM, bluerules009 said:

You mean 1969?

I never ran into anyone who didn't believe it.

Never ran into anyone back then who didn't believe it either.

• Like 1

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 3/15/2017 at 2:13 AM, bluerules009 said:

If Armstrong's radio wasn't broadcasting from the moon in 1969 the russians would have told the world.   Directional finding antennas would have proven they were not in Hollywood.

Was it as revolutionary as when they debunked the Earth was flat?  What is like back then?

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

On 10/17/2017 at 3:43 AM, bluerules009 said:

A few years ago the local Jehovah Witness group told me it didn't happen but they are not an example of a highly evolved human.

Libertarians and Jehovah's Witnesses have a lot in common.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism