Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV getting killed

32 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Concessions are a whole other giant problem. Basically they suck. Here were are in 2017 and they still think that people want food that even 7-11 couldn't sell. They sell beer which if they can get it in a glass is the same everywhere. Other than that the lack of imagination and quality does more to cut concession sales than about everything else. The BYU game may be sold out but they won't sell much beer there.

The T&M spends what...$90 million on remodel and improvements and while they put a new face on the concession stand they still sell the same stale Rebel dogs and popcorn. Hell they don't even have onions anywhere in the T&M for those dead dogs. I'd gladly spend $20-$50 for good game day food but they end up just getting money for a soda or water.

Just like most other decisions made by UNLV they try to play it cheap because they don't have money and end up giving up 3 times more money because of the cheap product that they try to sell us. Like I found out while taking business classes at UNLV.... They have no idea about how a real business is run in the real world. All theory and liberal so call logic which only works with some sort of mandatory public funding.

Arena food in general is massively overrated and overpriced but yeah I do agree that the T&M is lacking in innovation in the area concession food. Which is a travesty in a city like Las Vegas which attracts a lot of foodies and plenty of tremendous options for them. 

I was in the box suites not long ago and had chicken fingers, tasted the same as they did in 2001. Bland and dry. 

But you know, they will just jack up tuition rates and student fees to make up for their phuckups, I mean budget shortfall. Business as usual for them. 

And yet go to the broken down Oakland Coliseum and spend 30 minutes trying to decide what you want to eat because so many options look great. Hell even the MGM Grand Arena has more choices. UNLV want to control every little thing to squeeze every penny out of the concessions and they end up making even less because they won't invest in a quality product, much like their coaching decisions. Lip stick on a pig.

At this point in our history there is about zero chance of anything changing because they are locked into their culture of failure where even the excuses stay the same. They still think that if they just come up with a new slogan somehow it will make a difference. Hell, they can't even sell that.

1 hour ago, quickdraw said:

And yet go to the broken down Oakland Coliseum and spend 30 minutes trying to decide what you want to eat because so many options look great. Hell even the MGM Grand Arena has more choices. UNLV want to control every little thing to squeeze every penny out of the concessions and they end up making even less because they won't invest in a quality product, much like their coaching decisions. Lip stick on a pig.

At this point in our history there is about zero chance of anything changing because they are locked into their culture of failure where even the excuses stay the same. They still think that if they just come up with a new slogan somehow it will make a difference. Hell, they can't even sell that.

The one thing that will likely change soon (given the dismal financial outlook on the sports programs) is the naming rights to the TM arena. 

Hello Nevada State Bank arena. (Yawn) 

This lies at the feet of Tina Kunzer-Murphy and those influential boosters who pull her strings. The debacle that passed for a coaching search after the ill-advised firing of Dave Rice mid-season, created the vacuum in the basketball program that has produced the current amateurish product that passes for the Runnin’ Rebels.

Witnessing the once-proud product reduced to the current embarrassment is painful. We’ll be back. Marvin Menzies, given the opportunity to develop a team, will bring the Rebels back to relevance. But these next couple of years are the direct responsibility of the AD. The lack of attendance is her fault. That’s a fact.

On 2/14/2017 at 8:03 AM, Ernie Baer said:

If these not so surprising numbers are remotely close for much longer going to be very interesting to see how much rope the new AD gives the two head coaches.  Even with the extension, particularly for Sanchez who is heading into season three.

Agreed. Extensions have no monetary importance if there is a low-budget buyout. Assuming that's the case with Sanchez's, the extension should be viewed as having been given basically for recruiting purposes.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest RoscoesDad
1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Agreed. Extensions have no monetary importance if there is a low-budget buyout. Assuming that's the case with Sanchez's, the extension should be viewed as having been given basically for recruiting purposes.

That's basically what we did with Hauck.  I've been vocal on Sanchez really blowing an opportunity last year to take the next step with the program. There is no need for an ultra conservative 5+ year plan for any program in the MWC.  2 good recruiting classes and a decent coach will get any team in this league into a bowl game by year 3. Hopefully the new AD comes in and tells Sanchez to be more aggressive with his coaching and gameplans.  I don't think Menzies should have more than 2 more years to get something done either.  A good coach will easily be able to recruit and be successful here.  There is just no reason for a long rebuild for any program in the MWC.  If we were in a P5 conference, different story.  

Universities bid out food contracts to the Sodexos and ARAMARK of the world. They don't make huge money on food, but they don't take a bath and sit on waste either. They do make money on booze, but not as much as you'd think.

I've pointed out the delta between Vegas's budget and it's small season ticket numbers, especially for football. I always thought that Vegas had a huge pool of businesses that donated money because that's where that school could make a killing. That's also why I think pro sports are going to cripple the Rebels. If those small businesses, and they have only so much discretionary money, start spending on pro sports instead of the university there, that's going to hurt.

17 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Booze is where the money's made. Not with hot dogs no matter how good. I'm always amazed by the booze at the MWC tourney after a season with no beer at Viejas.

Lots of money is made no question. But, after the distributors are paid, after increased security is paid, and increased insurance, the profit isn't that huge. I think Nevada nets something like $300k per season??

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

Lots of money is made no question. But, after the distributors are paid, after increased security is paid, and increased insurance, the profit isn't that huge. I think Nevada nets something like $300k per season??

Well, I'll bet you it's safe to say that's a lot more than they make on hot dogs and popcorn.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

15 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Well, I'll bet you it's safe to say that's a lot more than they make on hot dogs and popcorn.

The only waste is kegs. They used to give the tapped kegs to the fraternities back in the late-80s, early-90s. The good old days.

2 hours ago, BleedRed702 said:

I'd like to see a Raising Canes stand. They definitely need to bring in some new food though. 

Raising Canes would be epic. 

And I have to say, why isn't UNLV/TM officials utilizing one of its most famous alums that's practically on tv every night? Guy Fieri. He has so many connections and knows food. 

17 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Raising Canes would be epic. 

And I have to say, why isn't UNLV/TM officials utilizing one of its most famous alums that's practically on tv every night? Guy Fieri. He has so many connections and knows food. 

Anyone else visit Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives that he's reviewed? :)

22 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

That's basically what we did with Hauck.  I've been vocal on Sanchez really blowing an opportunity last year to take the next step with the program. There is no need for an ultra conservative 5+ year plan for any program in the MWC.  2 good recruiting classes and a decent coach will get any team in this league into a bowl game by year 3. Hopefully the new AD comes in and tells Sanchez to be more aggressive with his coaching and gameplans.  I don't think Menzies should have more than 2 more years to get something done either.  A good coach will easily be able to recruit and be successful here.  There is just no reason for a long rebuild for any program in the MWC.  If we were in a P5 conference, different story.  

Who would work for an AD who tells you how to run your program?  Why don't they just become the coach then?

22 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

Who would work for an AD who tells you how to run your program?  Why don't they just become the coach then?

Guest RoscoesDad
1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Day drinking?

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Not at all.  Why would Tony Sanchez listen to Kuntzer regarding how to call a football game?  She doesn't know shit.

You just contradicted yourself. Didn't your current AD hire him and extend him? Pretty sure he's listening because without her he's probably still at Gorman.

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

You just contradicted yourself. Didn't your current AD hire him and extend him? Pretty sure he's listening because without her he's probably still at Gorman.

My point is that the AD should have no say in how the coach runs the program.  As an example, they shouldn't tell a coach what style he has to play, what players to recruit, etc.  They should just hire the coach and decide if they're doing a good job or not.