crixus

Pitchers & Catchers

33 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Can't mishandle what you don't have :rock:

I can't help thinking of blowing it up. No one on the farm, might as well restock it. But blowing up the best outfield in baseball, a silver slugger at 2B(<_<), and a top hitting C, seems like throwing a lot away when you're so close. Have a bullpen too, but that starting pitching is atrocious. Koehler is what he is, the only hope is Conley overacheiving. Losing Jose pretty much means we really should blow it up and kick the rebuild 4 more years down the line.

The Marlins blew it up after they won their last World Series and still haven't recovered from it. They're problem is bad ownership, IMHO. 

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah but Loria (horrible owner, business genius though...that can't be disputed) is selling the team. 

Selling, but not sold yet...right? So he's still the horrible owner going into and possibly for all of this season. 

14 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

He'll be out after the All Star Break. That's his coronation. 

Oh well, the Marlins will be out of playoff contention by then. 

16 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Houston is going to win the whole thing. 

The A's will still be terrible. 

I would have liked to see them pick up a top pitcher in free agency, but if Keuchel can bounce back, the Astros should be very good. Bregman, Correa, and Altuve give the Astros one of the best infields in MLB outside of the Cubs and picking up Beltran and Reddick jumping in with Springer in the OF, I like what this team is capable of. Could have used a 1B and maybe a better option at catcher, but they're not horrible there. 

I'm hoping the Angels' young pitchers can step up and give the team a chance, but the AL West will be extremely tough this year with the Rangers, Astros, and even Seattle looking so strong. 

4 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Can't mishandle what you don't have :rock:

I can't help thinking of blowing it up. No one on the farm, might as well restock it. But blowing up the best outfield in baseball, a silver slugger at 2B(<_<), and a top hitting C, seems like throwing a lot away when you're so close. Have a bullpen too, but that starting pitching is atrocious. Koehler is what he is, the only hope is Conley overacheiving. Losing Jose pretty much means we really should blow it up and kick the rebuild 4 more years down the line.

Best outfield in baseball?

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

Guest Dr. Dre
13 hours ago, sprtnfan said:

And no, my mom, sister, wife, aunt, niece, cousin, daughter, grandmother, or any other family members were not with Dre last night or any other night past, present, or future. 

That's what you think. STILL trying to get rid of the itch and the smell that non-evolved clan left behind. 

8 hours ago, crixus said:

Your Marlins and Don Mattingly swept his former team (my Dodgers), but didn't do much else last season. He's not very good at handling pitchers but insists on doing it. So expect to give up half a dozen games each season. Those six games can make a big difference if you're in a pennant race. 

Mattingly won $200 last year for me on the under for wins and was 2-0 in that department while managing the Dodgers. I love the guy.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Who besides the Pirates?

Mets having 6 OFs don't count.

I'd put the Angels right next to the Pirates even with the revolving door of nobodies in LF just because of Mike Trout and the emergence of Kole Calhoun the past two seasons and I like what Maybin brings, though I'd like to see more power. Outside of the Pirates and Angels, I think the Nats (Harper counts for a ton, just as Trout) and Royals can make a claim here. 

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Gurriel is going to be a breakout player at 1B. he's a marked improvement over Valbuena and AJ Reed from last year. 

Valbuena and Reed won't be hard to improve upon and I think Gurriel will turn into a good 1B, but he is moving from 3B to 1B to get into the lineup, so there could be a bit of a learning curve for him this year. The last Astros 1B that moved from 3B turned out okay though, having just made it into the HOF. 

3 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

I've never seen the appeal to Harper beyond him being a rich man's Stanton, he couldn't hold Trout's jock.

Not that a rich man's Stanton is bad, just he belongs nowhere near the same sentence as Trout. He's much closer to Stanton than he is Trout.

I agree that he's closer to Stanton than Trout.....nobody in the game is close to Trout. I meant that, like Trout (and Stanton), he was a good enough to make the Nats a top 5 OF without much of a supporting cast. Harper played catcher for most of his life too, so he is still learning the nuances of playing the OF and he does have a huge arm and great speed, so I wouldn't be surprised to see his defense keep improving. Are far as the appeal, he's s great player....there is no denying that. And he's still very young. He's also cocky, which turns keeps some people from jumping with him.