toonkee

Why, Reno? Why?

1 hour ago, Rod_the_Rebel said:

First this guy says it doesn't make him mad one bit, and then he admits that sometimes it does "a time or two".  It's just a simple example of a Reno'er trying to be elitist, but failing to really hide the true feelings.  No sense of pride for UNLV? That's a pretty good one. I would argue that 77-104 vs the worst team unlv has ever fielded enstilled the first bit of pride that UNR has ever had, which allows them to hire Michael Buffer and sell out their cute 11,000 seat arena. Im happy that for the first time in UNR's much longer history (which they so pridefully remind us) that they're just now beginning to have pride in their own campus instead of finding ways to Sh*t on the younger brother which is much easier to do when you have nothing to show for your own school.  It plays into what I said....the day the two schools stop trying to be better than the other will be sad because it's a great in state rivalry built on playful hate and pettiness.

"This guy" said I have been sucked into the conversation once or twice about whether or not UNLV fans grasp the naming convention that is in play with the flagship university in nearly every other state (save for, apparently, Alaska) or not. That is not to say that I'm mad about it. It is possible to engage in a discussion without being mad you know.

UNLV has had some of its football success against the worst football teams in Pack history. It does happen and I would expect UNLV fans to lessen the thrill of victory by bringing it up just as much as I would bring it up if/when the roles are reversed. That is message board gamesmanship. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Agreed up until the bolded and all that followed. There is plenty of Rebel Pride in UNLV fans. We have had a tough run lately, but we still have Runnin' Rebel fever. If we didn't have pride, Rice would still be here. In fact, sometimes our pride causes us to make hasty decisions that others don't have the cajones to make (like firing a coach midseason).

If you were to bold the part before that, you would have the complete thought. It was conjecture on my part since I can't tell you why UNLV fans care less about the rivalry. They should care because its the lifeblood of college sports. Rivalry weekend is one of the greatest weekends in college football and I seriously doubt that any other schools consider UNLV to be their main rival. I doubt that Duke fans give a second thought to UNLV. For them, it's nostalgia about one of their many championship runs and it was 25 years ago. Maybe there's a thread on the Duke board right now asking why UNLV fans hate Duke a disproportionate amount than Duke fans hate UNLV??? Go check it out! 

13 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

If you were to bold the part before that, you would have the complete thought. It was conjecture on my part since I can't tell you why UNLV fans care less about the rivalry. They should care because its the lifeblood of college sports. Rivalry weekend is one of the greatest weekends in college football and I seriously doubt that any other schools consider UNLV to be their main rival. I doubt that Duke fans give a second thought to UNLV. For them, it's nostalgia about one of their many championship runs and it was 25 years ago. Maybe there's a thread on the Duke board right now asking why UNLV fans hate Duke a disproportionate amount than Duke fans hate UNLV??? Go check it out! 

I got you complete thought, but you jumped to an incorrect conclusion, IMO.

Part of it was when we were good in hoops, UNR was butt awful. Likewise when UNR was good, we were butt-awful. So our feeling of rivalry centered around teams that had post-season meaning when we played them... at times it was Fresno or NMSU or USU or Long Beach or UCSB... then it was SDSU or BYU or UNM... those games held more meaning for UNLV through the years than our "in-state" rivalry, because for the bulk of our existence, we were in different conferences.

As for football, we've never been good. It's really hard to develop any feeling of rivalry when you have only been around for 2 generations and have never been good in this sport. Likewise, the conference sentiment applies here as well. Many regional and in-state rivalries also shared conferences (at least when the rivalry was developed), thus the rivalry carried more weight than just bragging rights.

As to schools who consider us to be their main rival, I'd guess many SDSU fans do. In both sports, but moreso in hoops.

Despite all that, there are more than a handful of diehard UNLV football fans that have plenty of pride in the program and cherish the in-state rivalry. Our problem has been we are too young, have rarely shared the conference with you, and have sucked so long in FB that we have had a really tough time growing the fanbase beyond the few diehards.

Now that we share conferences and are at a similar level in FB currently, I see the rivalry in FB growing. It's gonna take a few years of both teams being good for any rivalry to develop in hoops. You guys are a couple years ahead of us in the rebuild there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, toonkee said:

The cannon is more important to you.

UNLV has never looked at a basketball game against UNR the way you guys treated last night.  

Why is your hate stronger for UNLV than UNLV's is for you?

Why is this rivalry more important to the north?

Honest questions.

I can't speak for everyone but imo it's a few things:

1). Reno has played second fiddle to Vegas in everything for a long time, and I just don't mean sports.  So anytime a smaller town can dominate a bigger town, it's always more important to the little guy.

2). We embraces the David vs Goliath role..even if it's not currently true...we always look at it that way.

3). The more we show the nation the power of balance as shifted north the better off our programs are in the long run.

4). Marketing marketing marketing, the University knows the hatred we have for the south.  They exploit it to sell tickets...and it works.

5). Recruiting...the atmosphere on Wednesday night had the feel of a big time college basketball program.  The Martin brothers (our North Carolina State transfers) made multiple social media comments about how incredible the crowd was.  The more games we can create environments like that the better our recruiting can be.

6). Showing coach Muss we care and want nothing more than for him to stay LT.  Muss has been quite open stating how blown way he has been with the local support.  The first time around I don't think Reno realized how lucky we were to have coach Johnson and Fox.  Then they left and the program went dark for a decade.  This time around the community isn't taking anything for granted, and people hope by showing up and supporting we might make him think twice about leaving.

7). Lastly rivalries are fun, sports are about having fun.

I might be totally wrong but that's how I see it.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I don't hate UNLV...I also tend to look more at Boise State as a rival for Nevada because those two schools have shared conferences almost continually since the 70's..There is a lot of history there.

Same.  Without an instate rival anymore it sucks not having Nevada and Fresno on the schedule every year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Slapdad said:

I can only speak for myself, but I suspect that others feel the same when I say that calling us Reno doesn't make me mad one bit. I do find it funny, however, that people from Vegas do make such a big deal out of it and refuse to call the Wolf Pack "Nevada". Even the media in Vegas does it. You want to talk about another level of.......call it hatred or insecurity or whatever.....then look no further than that. I think most UNLV fans really can grasp the naming convention that applies to every other state named team and how it also applies to the Pack, but they play the game in get under our skin. I'm guilty of being sucked in a time or two because it's hard to tell on a message board if someone is playing or just dense and dammit! I'm not going to stand for either! 

Most days, I witness some sort of encounter where UT grads and aTm grads are firing barbs back and forth and its always in good fun....its about tradition and pride more than anything else. Maybe that's it. There is no sense of pride among UNLV fans. And who can blame them? They're there because nobody else would take them. It's the isle of misfit toys of universities....and Rebel Robert is the Charly in the Box. 

as the only school in the state that existed for over 50 years, i have no problem with calling you 'nevada', and i occasionally do. but since it drives most of you crazy, 'reno' or 'unr' it is :D.

5 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

LoL. Outsider here as well, but that one "perplexed" me as well Headbutt. Acronyms aside, they are the university of NEVADA Las Vegas... but he's right in a way... there IS no NEVADA, in UNLV! :P

nah, you and @Headbutt have got it wrong. i'm proud to be from nevada. it's reno fans that like to forget that unlv is in nevada, thus breaking out battle born unis against ...another battle born school.  :D it's just too funny!

Hate is fun. :)

No, seriously, Nevada is the Wolf Pack. If a white haired old mustached man with a silly hat & red outfit walks into a forest to play around, and a wolf pack surrounds him for stepping onto their territory......do expect the old timer to ask the wolves why they care about being so angry at him? He can, but it'll just make him look weaker (cause these wolves know English!), and that wouldn't be good. I think it comes down to refraining from the continued pussification trend, and instead, be hell bent on battling to the end with a victory over the wolves. Good luck with that, but at least it would make things interesting. :) 

• Like 2

kat.jpg

57 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

I can't speak for everyone but imo it's a few things:

1). Reno has played second fiddle to Vegas in everything for a long time, and I just don't mean sports.  So anytime a smaller town can dominate a bigger town, it's always more important to the little guy.

2). We embraces the David vs Goliath role..even if it's not currently true...we always look at it that way.

3). The more we show the nation the power of balance as shifted north the better off our programs are in the long run.

4). Marketing marketing marketing, the University knows the hatred we have for the south.  They exploit it to sell tickets...and it works.

5). Recruiting...the atmosphere on Wednesday night had the feel of a big time college basketball program.  The Martin brothers (our North Carolina State transfers) made multiple social media comments about how incredible the crowd was.  The more games we can create environments like that the better our recruiting can be.

6). Showing coach Muss we care and want nothing more than for him to stay LT.  Muss has been quite open stating how blown way he has been with the local support.  The first time around I don't think Reno realized how lucky we were to have coach Johnson and Fox.  Then they left and the program went dark for a decade.  This time around the community isn't taking anything for granted, and people hope by showing up and supporting we might make him think twice about leaving.

7). Lastly rivalries are fun, sports are about having fun.

I might be totally wrong but that's how I see it.

That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. I want to know why you feel it so much more than we do. Thanks.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Same.  Without an instate rival anymore it sucks not having Nevada and Fresno on the schedule every year.

Kiss my grits, you south Idaho trash...

Honestly, most of this thread is essentially the Idaho/BSU mutual disgust playing out in Nevada.

31 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

as the only school in the state that existed for over 50 years, i have no problem with calling you 'nevada', and i occasionally do. but since it drives most of you crazy, 'reno' or 'unr' it is :D.

nah, you and @Headbutt have got it wrong. i'm proud to be from nevada. it's reno fans that like to forget that unlv is in nevada, thus breaking out battle born unis against ...another battle born school.  :D it's just too funny!

True, but to be fair the southern portion of the state wasn't part of Nevada when we were granted statehood. Nevada became a state in 1864, but what is now Clark County wasn't added until 1867. It was originally part of Arizona. Also there was nothing in Las Vegas at the time other than an abandoned Mormon fort. 

18 minutes ago, toonkee said:

That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. I want to know why you feel it so much more than we do. Thanks.

Why doesn't Vegas care about UNLV? I've said the new Vegas, say 1988 to present, couldn't care less about UNLV. People just don't give two chits and aren't involved to the degree they are here. It pisses people off, but it's true. Aldeson alluded to "community" when he commented on why he wanted to bring the Raiders to Vegas.

If I'm Vegas fans I'm scared to death about the birth of pro sports in Vegas because that will give residents something to rally around.

9 minutes ago, bigd said:

True, but to be fair the southern portion of the state wasn't part of Nevada when we were granted statehood. Nevada became a state in 1864, but what is now Clark County wasn't added until 1867. It was originally part of Arizona. Also there was nothing in Las Vegas at the time other than an abandoned Mormon fort. 

Exactly. Vegas wasn't part of the state when it was born. It's the placenta if you will.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Exactly. Vegas wasn't part of the state when it was born. It's the placenta if you will.

and neither were you, what's your point?

if reno actually had some historical significance than maybe that line of reasoning would have merit but the entire state is pretty insignificant. 

with as much as the renoites love to claim they're better because they're older, you'd think they'd have actually accomplished something with such a head start. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Yeah, I hope we wear them again in a few weeks!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TK_05 said:

and neither were you, what's your point?

if reno actually had some historical significance than maybe that line of reasoning would have merit but the entire state is pretty insignificant. 

with as much as the renoites love to claim they're better because they're older, you'd think they'd have actually accomplished something with such a head start. 

Are you saying we personally weren't, or that Reno wasn't? Reno was just a tiny village but it was geographically part of the state. Clark County was part of Arizona when Nevada gained statehood.

None of the western states have much historical significance, but the Comstock silver definitely helped finance the civil war and created a lot of wealth (a lot of which moved to California). 

1 hour ago, bigd said:

1864, 1867... it's still on my flag, same as yours. they must have known even back then we would eventually be more significant.  :D

and as for the actual university:

21 minutes ago, TK_05 said:

again, :D

Actually Las Vegas was part of the Arizona Territory during the Civil war and was considered part of the Confederacy.  After the war, a large swath of the Arizona Territory was granted to Nevada so they had access to the Colorado River.. This was done to punish Arizona and reward Nevada.

The University of Nevada was created by the Morrill Act of 1862 as a Land Grant institution so the school was in essence "Battle Born".

The first campus was in Elko but moved to Reno a few years later.  The first building on campus ( as well as the oldest current building) was named after John Morrill, the Congressman who introduced the Morrill Act.

UNLV was not Battle Born...But we are nice up north so we are happy to have you in the Battle Born state..