Guest #1Stunner

State of California bans travel for College teams to certain states

Guest #1Stunner

Not sure if this will eventually affect the MWC, but a new law in Calfornia bans UC and CSU schools from stated-funded travel for college athetlcs.  

The beef is that the State of California says that these States have ANTI-LGBT laws in place, and so California tax funds are not allowed to be used to travel there.

States that California schools are no longer allowed to travel to (i.e., schedule games against) are: 

Kansas, North Carolina, Tennessee and Mississippi 

Kansas is on the travel prohibition list because of a 2016 law that enabled college campus religious groups to require that members adhere to their religious beliefs and standards.

That law was crafted partially in response to a controversy in California that occurred when a Christian student group lost recognition on California State University campuses for failure to comply with an “all comers” non-discrimination policy in 2014.

R

http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/california-law-stop-ncaa-games-schools-four-states-anti-lgbt-laws.html

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/06/cal-withdraws-from-talks-with-kansas-over-anti-lgbt-law/

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article128717554.html

Debating if this should be moved to the OT forum as I can already see it blowing up into a religious discussion. 

• Like 4

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest #1Stunner

It is going to be interesting to see if any California schools are allowed to play NCAA Tournament games in Kansas, North Carolina, Tennessee, or Mississippi.

CALIFORNIA:  Agree with us, or we won't talk to you!!!!

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, mugtang said:

Debating if this should be moved to the OT forum as I can already see it blowing up into a religious discussion. 

I thought about this, but it is primarily impacting college athletics.

What if a MWC State also gets a "ban" from California?

Just now, #1Stunner said:

I thought about this, but it is primarily impacting college athletics.

What if a MWC State also gets a "ban" from California?

Yeah and that's why I think I will leave it here for now. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Yeah and that's why I think I will leave it here for now. 

If it turns into bashing religion (which is against the rules), then might be worth moving (at your discretion, of course).

But California Democrats, who are in power over that State, really seem determined to declare a culture war on conservative America after Donald Trump got elected.  Time to dig the heels in and teach them a lesson!

I guess there is the "right way" and the "wrong way".  No room for disagreement.  And especially, no deference to silly, dumb, bigot religious people.

8 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

It is going to be interesting to see if any California schools are allowed to play NCAA Tournament games in Kansas, North Carolina, Tennessee, or Mississippi.

CALIFORNIA:  Agree with us, or we won't give you our monies!!!!

FIFY

• Like 2

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, AztecSU said:

FIFY

It will be interesting to see who flinches first.

Culture War - ON!!!

I'm surprised more States aren't on the list.   There's gotta be more of them out there.

Why stop there? I say we build walls around those states. 

Im pretty sure California is saying that human rights is not an issue about which reasonable people can disagree. If you write human rights violations into your laws, California will not do business with you.

its not about religion or even fundamentalism. If it were, Utah would be on the list.

• Like 5

SDSU hoops played at Lawrence a few years ago and our football team played at UNC two years ago. Other than that, I can't recall us tripping to any of the four states so the rule is basically irrelevant to us.

Boom goes the dynamite.

17 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

NCAA pays for team travel to the tournament. 

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Why stop there? I say we build walls around those states. 

Im pretty sure California is saying that human rights is not an issue about which reasonable people can disagree. If you write human rights violations into your laws, California will not do business with you.

its not about religion or even fundamentalism. If it were, Utah would be on the list.

Human Fundamental Rights (as defined by the government / constitution / courts) > Religious Rights (ensured by the government).

Constitutional Right A > Constitutional Right B

a6d9c47f27660d2505e81ce685ed91d3.jpg

Religious People = "not reasonable people"

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

SDSU hoops played at Lawrence a few years ago and our football team played at UNC two years ago. Other than that, I can't recall us tripping to any of the four states so the rule is basically irrelevant to us.

You telling me that Idaho doesn't have an Anti-Gay law on its books?

I'm calling on someone to forward an anti LGBT Idaho law to these LGBT activist groups who lobby in California, and call on them to also ban "Republican" Idaho to teach them a lesson.

This is gonna be fun!

3f4.gif

29 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The NCAA and ACC already pulled all events from North Carolina as a result of our +++++ing idiotic HB2 law.

Cal is scheduled to visit Chapel Hill in September, so this should be interesting. Cal is scheduled to visit Ole Miss in 2019 as well. 

edit: I just read the part that it doesn't effect games already scheduled.

• Like 1

Guest #1Stunner

Gold Jerry!!! Gold!!

photo.jpg

HRC Previews Anti-LGBT State & Local Legislation

WhatsAtStake_1600x900-Map.png

http://www.hrc.org/blog/hrc-previews-anti-lgbt-state-local-legislation

Today, HRC previewed state and local legislative battles in the year ahead, including anti-LGBT bills likely to be considered in at least 27 states. HRC anticipates that, as in 2015, anti-LGBT activists will push for measures that give legal cover to discrimination against LGBT Americans in dozens of states. The analysis also highlights opportunities to advance LGBT equality in 2016.  

KEEP THEM LAWS COMIN'!

14 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Human Fundamental Rights (as defined by the government / constitution / courts) > Religious Rights (ensured by the government).

Constitutional Right A > Constitutional Right B

a6d9c47f27660d2505e81ce685ed91d3.jpg

Religious People = "not reasonable people"

This might come as a surprise Stunner, but to most of us this is not a religious issue.  It's a social issue.

IMO opinion this is a ridiculous decision.  While LGBT's may not be granted additional, special rights in some states I haven't seen any laws that deny them the same constitutional rights I enjoy.  Just California being California.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

This might come as a surprise Stunner, but to most of us this is not a religious issue.  It's a social issue.

IMO opinion this is a ridiculous decision.  While LGBT's may not be granted additional, special rights in some states I haven't seen any laws that deny them the same constitutional rights I enjoy.  Just California being California.

Read up on North Carolina's HB2 law. It removed protections from the LGBT community and allows for discrimination based on sexual orientation. The "bathroom bill" part of it was made into the most important thing, but it was a smokescreen to legalize discrimination. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

NCAA pays for team travel to the tournament. 

Plus I am sure it can be argued by schools that the payout they receive to play games from the host school will pay for travel expenses. This likely does not impact football or hoops, but all the other Oly sports.