Guest #1Stunner

State of California bans travel for College teams to certain states

I've always tried to approach this board like I would dinner with a new boss and his wife.  Not the time or place for religion or politics. 

This topic is a little more challenging though.  This is athletics, turned to politics and significantly affects three of our conference members.  I see it as a slippery slope.  Once politics determine sports scheduling, all bets are off.  If this stands, will SDSU, Fresno State, and San Jose State have to quit scheduling BYU due to their strong institutional anti-abortion stance?  A position that is in contradiction to California politics.  To extend it further (ridiculously far) will Wyoming and USU have to quit playing due to a rivalry over energy production.  Yes that is ridiculous, but...Once states start imposing their ideological values on athletic competition, there really is no limit to how far it can hypothetically go.  Interesting that the US is at complete ideological odds with China and many other countries, but we still manage to engage in international competition.

Just wondering where this will all end up, and how fast it will happen.

• Like 6

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I've always tried to approach this board like I would dinner with a new boss and his wife.  Not the time or place for religion or politics. 

This topic is a little more challenging though.  This is athletics, turned to politics and significantly affects three of our conference members.  I see it as a slippery slope.  Once politics determine sports scheduling, all bets are off.  If this stands, will SDSU, Fresno State, and San Jose State have to quit scheduling BYU due to their strong institutional anti-abortion stance?  A position that is in contradiction to California politics.  To extend it further (ridiculously far) will Wyoming and USU have to quit playing due to a rivalry over energy production.  Yes that is ridiculous, but...Once states start imposing their ideological values on athletic competition, there really is no limit to how far it can hypothetically go.  Interesting that the US is at complete ideological odds with China and many other countries, but we still manage to engage in international competition.

Great post.

Donald Trump's election is having a major aftershock politically.  People that are upset that The Donald was elected are digging their heels in, and ready to do battle in this culture war.

This has been a long time stirring.    Liberals think that religious people are dumb, and unenlightened, and are frustrated that they refuse to go along with what they want,  and religious people (mostly conservative) refuse to abandon their beliefs, which are at odds with the liberal's ideals and beliefs, and refuse to go along with the liberal vision of America, and want laws to reflect their vision.  It is playing out in politics. 

Who is gonna win?  All fields (including college athletics) are now in play.

This is California just baiting the rest of the US. It is a typical attempt to get attention, like a woman walking around with her boobs out waiting for someone to comment or stare so she can yell sexist at the top of her lungs. Don't feed the troll.....even if it is a State. The sad part is this temper tantrum by the left if they can't get it under control is gonna get this A-hole re-elected.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I'm sad to say but religion did get involved in schools schedule's here in Utah, and it is wrong.

I try to stay non-political on this board but  I'm getting fed up with the political issues spilling over into my sports entertainment this year. 

Latest example is having to watch the phucking super bowl ads which were a total buzzkill. What happened to the funny shit? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Listen Cuz,

the whole State is a compound.

This cant be good for BYU if you want to schedule games against the MWC/PAC California schools in the future. If California has an issue with Kansas and North Carolina who are somewhat moderate, no totally liberal compared to BYU, I expect that's the end of any games vs BYU. This is getting out of hand. College sports is now influenced by this political situation.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Great post.

Donald Trump's election is having a major aftershock politically.  People that are upset that The Donald was elected are digging their heels in, and ready to do battle in this culture war.

This has been a long time stirring.    Liberals think that religious people are dumb, and unenlightened, and are frustrated that they refuse to go along with what they want,  and religious people (mostly conservative) refuse to abandon their beliefs, which are at odds with the liberal's ideals and beliefs, and refuse to go along with the liberal vision of America, and want laws to reflect their vision.  It is playing out in politics. 

Who is gonna win?  All fields (including college athletics) are now in play.

This is part of why the constitution is such a great document, hailed by foreign leaders throughout history as the greatest political document ever written.  It does not allow for discrimination against others based on their ideology  OTOH, it also doesn't allow for special dispensation for any group.  It specifically states that all of us are created equal, or in other words you are no less for believing a certain way and you are no better for believing a certain way.  We all have inalienable rights that can't be broached by others exercising their inalienable rights.  It's nothing more than the rule book for the eternal fight to make one set of ideals more important than another.  In the end it's usually a bitter fight that results in the fairest outcome.  This one will go down the same road, bitter but resulting in a set of national values that reflect the intents of the constitutions framers.

Amazing that a bunch of hippies can get on a boat, settle a new land, and create the greatest form of government in history.

39 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

No, it's not. A business is privately owned and people can choose to purchase from them or someone else. No one is "entitled" to any particular private business's goods and services.

Isn't religious freedom a human right?

Good post.

Also, It's a natural right. It doesn't come at the whim of government and social norms like human rights.

• Like 4

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

As as gay person from Memphis...it's not terrible here.

Memphis passed an anti-discrimination ordinance awhile back. (2012)

http://wreg.com/2012/10/16/city-council-passes-non-discrimination-ordinance/

and the yearly pride parade in midtown (cooper-young is super gay friendly) became so popular it was moved to Beale Street.

Mid-South-Pride-Parade3.jpg

parade-4.jpg

• Like 2

mem skyline sig.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

No, it's not. A business is privately owned and people can choose to purchase from them or someone else. No one is "entitled" to any particular private business's goods and services.

Isn't religious freedom a human right?

So if I taught at a private school I could do it?

1 minute ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Yes exactly like that. Should we allow that based on "religious freedom?"

No reasonable person believes that. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater