fbpack

UNLV @ Nevada

44 minutes ago, Chrysis said:

Why do so many UNLV fans always act like it's a bad thing to get up for a rivalry game?

i try and get up and talk some shit but the typical reno-response is something along the lines of "omg unlv fans care a lot! reno must be in your head"

make up your mind. fight fire with fire. i'm tired of dropping dimes while the forgotten up north drop shit sandwiches 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, battle.borne said:

The city will never recover from this burn.

It's is all I can muster up for this thread.  This season for the Rebels has sucked all life out of the fans.  Hopefully we get that back in the future and can engage in a good burn thread once again.  For now, we have no shot.  Just like the game tonight.  Reno by 15.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chrysis said:

Why do so many UNLV fans always act like it's a bad thing to get up for a rivalry game?

I get up for it but the problem is UNLV is beyond pathetic, they are horrifically bad and rivalry or not we realistically have no shot. Should we win someone it would be a huge upset, I just hope we can keep it respectable, I just don't understand why Reno is treating this particular game like it's the biggest in school history, hiring Michael Buffer, busting out the special uniforms etc.... or is it that Reno purposely did that because they know how bad UNLV is and they wouldn't dare try and pull that crap against a good Rebel team? This isn't a heavyweight championship fight because UNLV is a tomato can so why treat it like it's the biggest game between the 2 schools ever? 

• Like 3

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Because historically we have been a Powerhouse.  Reno is getting up because they rightfully should....every team this year is chomping at the bit and relishing the opportunity to kick UNLV in the teeth. Taking advantage of a win while the program is down is the single highest basketball honor these schools can achieve.  Deep down they know they aren't playing a respectable team at the moment but it still goes in the books as a W against the Rebs so they will rejoice.  Just be patient and know that when the program returns, the conference won't be so excited to play us and they'll remember that they are San Jose State, or Reno, or SOUTH Freaking ALABAMA...etc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rod_the_Rebel said:

Because historically we have been a Powerhouse.  Reno is getting up because they rightfully should....every team this year is chomping at the bit and relishing the opportunity to kick UNLV in the teeth. Taking advantage of a win while the program is down is the single highest basketball honor these schools can achieve.  Deep down they know they aren't playing a respectable team at the moment but it still goes in the books as a W against the Rebs so they will rejoice.  Just be patient and know that when the program returns, the conference won't be so excited to play us and they'll remember that they are San Jose State, or Reno, or SOUTH Freaking ALABAMA...etc 

I won't argue with this. The fact is that our basketball program is just getting good again, and it always feels great to beat UNLV (and it is admittedly rare in basketball). This is always the biggest game for the students, as most of them are from Clark County and know many people who go to UNLV and possibly grew up watching UNLV basketball. 

I truly hope that Menzies gets UNLV basketball going again, as this rivalry could be fun again in the coming years. I also hope MW basketball in general gets going again, as this 1-bid league stuff really sucks.

• Like 4

You guys are no fun. Even at our worst, I  always looked forward to the UNLV game even when there was no hope. I'm beginning to think that UNLV fans have nothing else going for them. Nevada fans on the other hand, have much more school pride and identity that transcends the state of basketball at our school. God help UNLV if the Raiders move to town.

1 hour ago, Rod_the_Rebel said:

Nevada has beat Vegas with "some" level of regularity in basketball since Tark left the building. I can't speak for all fans, but Nevada is getting good again, post-Carter and that has the fans excited. This is no different than Vegas fans getting excited about beating a Polian-coached football team twice in four seasons. I think Menzies will prove to be a better coach than that clown but we shall see.

I think the rivalry has come a long ways but I agree that it would be better if both teams were actually good in the two major sports and the games had meaning for the conference race.

2 hours ago, bigd said:

I won't argue with this. The fact is that our basketball program is just getting good again, and it always feels great to beat UNLV (and it is admittedly rare in basketball). This is always the biggest game for the students, as most of them are from Clark County and know many people who go to UNLV and possibly grew up watching UNLV basketball. 

I truly hope that Menzies gets UNLV basketball going again, as this rivalry could be fun again in the coming years. I also hope MW basketball in general gets going again, as this 1-bid league stuff really sucks.

Many of them convert back to UNLV basketball fans when they move back down here.

Source: 4 of my HS friends that went UNR. Would come down to Vegas for football games wearing FUNLV shirts. 2 of them have UNLV basketball season tickets now. 1 is the stepson of a big UNLV booster.

Reno is a great school for the Vegas kids that want that out of town experience, but getting all the benefits of being in state and easy flights back and forth.

I see UNLV and UNR stickers on the same car all the time. Blows my mind, but then I remember the multiple cousins and friends I've had that last less than 2 years in Reno and transfer back to UNLV.

UNLV sticker on left side. 3 UNR stickers on right side. lol

glpAcc0.jpg

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

9 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Many of them convert back to UNLV basketball fans when they move back down here.

Source: 4 of my HS friends that went UNR. Would come down to Vegas for football games wearing FUNLV shirts. 2 of them have UNLV basketball season tickets now. 1 is the stepson of a big UNLV booster.

Reno is a great school for the Vegas kids that want that out of town experience, but getting all the benefits of being in state and easy flights back and forth.

I see UNLV and UNR stickers on the same car all the time. Blows my mind, but then I remember the multiple cousins and friends I've had that last less than 2 years in Reno and transfer back to UNLV.

UNLV sticker on left side. 3 UNR stickers on right side. lol

glpAcc0.jpg

No doubt there is some overlap in the fan bases, particularly as you mentioned when Nevada grads move back to Vegas. The distance between Reno and Vegas definitely adds a different element because it is difficult for Nevada grads in Vegas to get to games in Reno. Much different than say Arizona grads living in Phoenix or Oregon grads living in Portland.

5 hours ago, just_chris said:

I get up for it but the problem is UNLV is beyond pathetic, they are horrifically bad and rivalry or not we realistically have no shot. Should we win someone it would be a huge upset, I just hope we can keep it respectable, I just don't understand why Reno is treating this particular game like it's the biggest in school history, hiring Michael Buffer, busting out the special uniforms etc.... or is it that Reno purposely did that because they know how bad UNLV is and they wouldn't dare try and pull that crap against a good Rebel team? This isn't a heavyweight championship fight because UNLV is a tomato can so why treat it like it's the biggest game between the 2 schools ever? 

Nevada truly values the rivalry, and that is a very good thing for the health of it. I grew up in Vegas, and for the life of me I can't figure out why UNLV and its fans don't try to make it a bigger deal, even in off years. At least it gives crappy teams something interesting to play for. 

Oh well, the game is a sellout (or near sellout), so whatever Nevada is doing it is obviously working.

As much as it pains me to say, Nevada being good is great for the conference.  If they can remain steady and continue to improve along with New Mexico and UNLV getting back into the swing of things (hopefully sooner than later) we could very quickly go back to being a multi-bid league.  With that being said....I want the upset.  Badly. Go Rebs.

Guest RoscoesDad
5 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

You guys are no fun. Even at our worst, I  always looked forward to the UNLV game even when there was no hope. I'm beginning to think that UNLV fans have nothing else going for them. Nevada fans on the other hand, have much more school pride and identity that transcends the state of basketball at our school. God help UNLV if the Raiders move to town.

Part of this happens to be true.  A pretty big slice of Runnin Rebel fans only care about bball and give zero +++++s about anything else regarding unlv. Many of these people are the Dave rice fan boys.  In this way our bball team is more like a pro franchise with a bunch of groupies. I hate these fans, but it is a reality I can't deny.  

1 minute ago, RoscoesDad said:

Part of this happens to be true.  A pretty big slice of Runnin Rebel fans only care about bball and give zero +++++s about anything else regarding unlv. Many of these people are the Dave rice fan boys.  In this way our bball team is more like a pro franchise with a bunch of groupies. I hate these fans, but it is a reality I can't deny.  

5 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

You guys are no fun. Even at our worst, I  always looked forward to the UNLV game even when there was no hope. I'm beginning to think that UNLV fans have nothing else going for them. Nevada fans on the other hand, have much more school pride and identity that transcends the state of basketb

Agree with @RoscoesDad - I've been following UNLV BB since 1976-77............I'm not an alum of UNLV, but a local who happens to be a fan of the sports programs.

UNLV BB rose to prominence and the fan base was never tied to the school.......they were tied to the BB program & the bling, excitement, "Vegasy" feel of the run & gun Rebels of the mid-late 1970's........these fans became boosters but few if any of them had any ties to UNLV other than latching onto the hottest ticket in town...........the old Vegas $$ were all in it for the bling, the see and be seen cocktail party atmosphere ........and once BB got real good it buried FB - There were a few FB boosters, but same thing, not a lot had ties to UNLV other than the sports program.

UNLV games have always had an NBA crowd type of feel to them...........arrive late, leave early.

Things might be changing as the area grows and more people are 2nd or 3rd generation and those people make some $$$ ...............but the old crowds from 1976 to 19904 were all cocktail party types who were big mucky mucks in town and loved to hang in the glow of a nationally prominent BB program