Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheDoggFather

Fresno State 2018 Recruiting

Picked up a JC OL. From Fresno City. Had offers from CSU and SJSU. Went up to San Jose for the game a couple weeks ago  

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/bulldogs-football/article179728476.html

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

36 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Picked up a JC OL. From Fresno City. Had offers from CSU and SJSU. Went up to San Jose for the game a couple weeks ago  

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/bulldogs-football/article179728476.html

Good pickup.  mean and skrong.   

Fresno keeps winning...i'm sure most of the Valley kids will start staying home and start building a Valley Dynasty at FSU. PAC12 will take notice and hopefully other P5's will need to look elsewhere for recruits. 

5 hours ago, smithy said:

Fresno keeps winning...i'm sure most of the Valley kids will start staying home and start building a Valley Dynasty at FSU. PAC12 will take notice and hopefully other P5's will need to look elsewhere for recruits. 

that's wishful thinking at best

28 minutes ago, SangerBulldog said:

that's wishful thinking at best

We can hold onto the emoryies by and large.  That's doable.  A handful will leave for the bright lights, but the 3* kids with wazzu, Oregon state, arizona state offers we can keep. Give tedford a couple years and we can snag a 4* kid every so often - We have a shot at Cropper next year IIRC.

We'll never get kids of caleb kelly or michiah quick's caliber....out of HS.  But we'll see them in 3 years after they get buried on the bench or booted for weed.   

11 hours ago, smithy said:

There are lots of kids that simply want to get out of the valley. Those are the types that we'll never be able to keep regardless of our success. Then, like copter said, there are others who are leaving for the bright lights of the big programs. 

3 hours ago, retrofade said:

There are lots of kids that simply want to get out of the valley. Those are the types that we'll never be able to keep regardless of our success. Then, like copter said, there are others who are leaving for the bright lights of the big programs. 

Basically, depending on scheme fit, off-field and open spots, we should be capable of taking at least 4-8 of the local 3 star caliber kids a year, and have an outside shot at a 4* kid every other year.   Right now, this year,  we have commitments from four + a fifth two-star local in a small class (17 open scholarships).  Matt Kjeldgaard and Ricardo Arias have flown under the radar because they played out in the middle of nowhere, but both are Pac 12 level.  Emoryie is the headliner, he had Arizona State, Wazzu, Oregon State tier offers.  Deshawn Ruffin is imo at that level too. 

Of the kids of similar caliber/rating that are not coming to Fresno at this moment in the valley that i can think of:

4* CB Steve Stephens (Oregon) - We never had a shot here.  Edison kid and very high 4* recruit. This is the kind of guy we get as a bounce back in a couple years.

4* QB Adrian Martinez (Tennessee) - Butch Jones is toast.  IDK what happens but we might pop back into the picture once he's canned.

3* CB McKenzie Barnes (Arizona) - We offered as a courtesy, but again, Edison kid.  Not a chance imo. 

3* LB Isaiah Johnson (UCLA) - Too late to the party. He's good.

3* RB Kazmeir Allen (Undecided) - Probably Cal bound. This, imo, is the kind of "bright lights" kid i'm talking about.  

3* WR Teyjohn Herrington (Undecided) - i think he has trash grades.   There's been zero news since we offered him like 6 months ago. We have limited spots and two 3* WR commits.  I'm cool.  He'll probably end up at Nevada and be mad we didn't recruit him.

3* QB Sean Chambers (Wyoming) - We offered but it was bad luck on the timing; he committed to Rutgers the next day and then his spot filled up before he decommitted.

3* LB DJ Schramm (Boise)- this one's self explanatory.  

3* LB Dusty Schramm (Undecided) - same thing

There's also the JC guy we just got from FCC, but FCC kids can come from the east coast originally, so although a good relationship with the coaches helps, there's a lot less loyalty to count on from the recruit themselves.

9 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

QB Adrian Martinez (Tennessee) - Butch Jones is toast.  IDK what happens but we might pop back into the picture once he's canned.

We have no room with two commits already.

10 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

RB Kazmeir Allen (Undecided) - Probably Cal bound. This, imo, is the kind of "bright lights" kid i'm talking about.  

Idk how this going to go. We are loaded in the backfield and he wants to play right away.

Just now, rudolro said:

We have no room with two commits already.

Idk how this going to go. We are loaded in the backfield and he wants to play right away.

If Adrian Martinez is available and has interest i guarantee you we will make room.  You don't turn down a local kid of that caliber. Same thing with Kazmeir.  He has a 10.4 100m.  He might not start at RB but he'd absolutely get snaps, and we'd get him out on the field as a returner, split him out wide and throw to him, run sweeps/tosses. etc.

There's far more talent locally than deruyter was willing to acknowledge locally with scholarship offers.  Right now on the depth chart we have 4 locals who walked on out of HS. Dejonte O'Neal and Josh Hokit at RB, Jasad Haynes at backup DT, and George Helmuth at starting LB. They're all in there over multiple 3* players deruyter signed.

We're in a bind right now because of the class size, but we'll sign plenty of locals next year. Book it.

6 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

If Adrian Martinez is available and has interest i guarantee you we will make room.  You don't turn down a local kid of that caliber. Same thing with Kazmeir.  He has a 10.4 100m.  He might not start at RB but he'd absolutely get snaps, and we'd get him out on the field as a returner, split him out wide and throw to him, run sweeps/tosses. etc.

You can take only so many kids. Also I'm not so high on AM like most are. KAZ is a different situation. Remember Harris is available next year also.

Just now, rudolro said:

You can take only so many kids. Also I'm not so high on AM like most are. KAZ is a different situation. Remember Harris is available next year also.

If Adrian decommits from Tennessee and he wants to come here Woolridge will end up greyshirting. 

Martinez isn't caleb kelly tier, but he's good.  I would take him in a heartbeat.  Landing ANY 4* local kid is a big effing deal.

8 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Kaz would end up a Cliff Harris type for us. He's the kind of player that you just find room for on the field... in the backfield, split out, returns... anywhere really.

By no means am I saying I don't want him. Early playing time will be difficult at best. Just look at our backfield. 

Rivers

Mimms

Hokit

O'Neal

Perry

Harris

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of players

And the JC kid. 

Just not enough touches for all those backs. Plus they're so young.

On 10/23/2017 at 10:38 AM, retrofade said:

Kaz would end up a Cliff Harris type for us. He's the kind of player that you just find room for on the field... in the backfield, split out, returns... anywhere really.

I would be so anal sore if you guys landed him after he decommitted from us.  He would have been the perfect compliment to the RB's we have committed currently.

6 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I would be so anal sore if you guys landed him after he decommitted from us.  He would have been the perfect compliment to the RB's we have committed currently.

I think he's going to end up one of the bright lights kids that sees Pac-12 schools as way better than both of us. My best bet is that he ends up at Cal.

This recruiting class isn't going to be as highly rated as last year's but it's gonna be reaaaaaalllly good in a few years imo.   Several of these guys are out in bum+++++ nowhere and are killing it their senior season but haven't gotten re-rated....several have gotten p5 interest and flat out turned it down.  John McCartan is pretty much the definition of a late bloomer....he's a hell of a lot more athletic and coordinated this year....last year he was just a big tall dude. Mad impressed with Tedford's eye for talent thus far.

Netane Muti is his cousin...actual blood cousin not just his Tongan "cuzzin," so that helped.

Also hurts he plays in the Bay Area, which isn't well respected by analysts as much as So Cal, San Diego, the OC. If he played at St. John Bosco or Mater Dei he'd have 4 stars and offers from every Pac 12 school. He is way better than some of the LB Bosco has churned out the last 3-4 years.

2 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

Netane Muti is his cousin...actual blood cousin not just his Tongan "cuzzin," so that helped.

Also hurts he plays in the Bay Area, which isn't well respected by analysts as much as So Cal, San Diego, the OC. If he played at St. John Bosco or Mater Dei he'd have 4 stars and offers from every Pac 12 school. He is way better than some of the LB Bosco has churned out the last 3-4 years.

The quality of football in NorCal is relatively bad when compared to other major markets. It doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot of talent there, but the teams just aren’t as good. Teams considered to be NorCal powerhouses regularly come down and get their asses kicked by SoCal schools. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg