Banning tackle football for children under 14

36 minutes ago, happycamper said:

"Grew up not wearing seat belts... We're still here"

What about the tens of thousands of your peers who died young because of the lack of seatbelts and safe car design features? "I didn't die" seems like a pretty weak argument for never trying to improve anything.

Not saying I'm not for improving things but I'm against getting rid of things all together.

If thats the case lets get rid of cars and make everyone walk, no one was ever killed by a drunk walker.

8 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

Not saying I'm not for improving things but I'm against getting rid of things all together.

If thats the case lets get rid of cars and make everyone walk, no one was ever killed by a drunk walker.

Clearly you have never visited New York City.

• Like 2

I had a concussion playing football when I was 13 in a Park & Rec league. I saw stars and passed out for about 10 seconds. When I woke up I remember hearing our Coach say that he thought I was dead. So from personal experience I think it's a good idea to ban tackle football before High School. But that's just my opinion. Let the parents vote on it.

13 hours ago, RambleOn said:

Absolutely ridiculous.  It's been proven that there are just as many concussions in soccer as there are on football, so why doesn't this moron ban soccer while we're at it?? Pretty soon,  no one will be allowed to play any sports because they're all to dangerous,  and parents will be required to bubble wrap their kids before letting them leave the house.

Not sure if a bill has been introduced, but there has been talk about banning using your head to hit the ball.  I recall listening to it debated on the radio a few years ago. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

10 minutes ago, crixus said:

I had a concussion playing football when I was 13 in a Park & Rec league. I saw stars and passed out for about 10 seconds. When I woke up I remember hearing our Coach say that he thought I was dead. So from personal experience I think it's a good idea to ban tackle football before High School. But that's just my opinion. Let the parents vote on it.

I have 3 sons; I played in high school but they won't be playing football.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Not sure if a bill has been introduced, but there has been talk about banning using your head to hit the ball.  I recall listening to it debated on the radio a few years ago. 

Starting last season,  many soccer leagues banned heading the ball in U12  and under. 

44 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

So you go from "never improve things because I didn't die" to "never improve things because nothing can be perfected"

Seems like "never improve things" just isn't a very good argument to choose

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I played youth football for four years and HS football for four years but never officially had a concussion. We didn't have much for testing back then though. I have had four concussions that I was hospitalized for and 3-4 more likely, not including football. I'm 51 and don't think I have any effects so far. Everyone is different so who knows.

Ive coached youth football for 8 years, 7-13 year olds and have seen a lot lof concussions over the years. They are hard to diagnose but four years ago all YAFL coaches have had to take classes in heads up tackling and concussion training among other things. The newer Heads Up tackling technique is safer but kids still get rocked. Poor tackling is also rarely penalized so game hits are still brutal. In 8 years I'm sure there have been 2-3 concussions every year and almost a dozen broken bones total.

The coaching is fun and rewarding but I wouldn't recommend any kid play tackle football unless they are big for their age and very athletic. My own kid is very athletic but not that big. He dominated on the field but I'm glad he's not playing anymore because he's taken some scary hits.

18 minutes ago, happycamper said:

So you go from "never improve things because I didn't die" to "never improve things because nothing can be perfected"

Seems like "never improve things" just isn't a very good argument to choose

No I was just giving an example of getting rid of things all together.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

So football was dangerous before the forward pass?

Thanks for the update

No, but the notion that removing the pads is suddenly going to make football safer is asinine. 

I don't see what the big deal is if they get rid of tackling before high school.

And I'm Not sure where this narrative that removing tackling would somehow remove competition (in response to the hand out trophies to everybody line). Is the argument that something can't be competitive if it doesn't involve tackling? That's a pretty stupid argument. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PTR said:

No, but the notion that removing the pads is suddenly going to make football safer is asinine. 

It would reduce concussions, which is what we are talking about. Citing an article talking about the days of the flying wedge, no forward passing, and five yard first downs is more asinine.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

20 hours ago, renoskier said:

Maybe you'd like to post some proof. Here's what I found:

Concussion Rates per Sport

The below numbers indicate the amount of sports concussions taking place per 100,000 athletic exposures. An athletic exposure is defined as one athlete participating in one organized high school athletic practice or competition, regardless of the amount of time played.

• Football: 64 -76.8
  • Boys' ice hockey: 54
  • Girl's soccer: 33
  • Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6
  • Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35
  • Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2
  • Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9
  • Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21
  • Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3
  • Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2
  • Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9
  • Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14
  • Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6
  • Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5
  • Girls' gymnastics: 7

http://www.headcasecompany.com/concussion_info/stats_on_concussions_sports

Those stats are only from the United States as near as I can tell, and only refers to high school. Football is the most widely played contact sport in high schools in the United States, so it would stand to reason that the incident rate is higher. I'd imagine that the data would look different if it were a European country or Canada. You'd see hockey and soccer at much higher rates. 

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Those stats are only from the United States as near as I can tell, and only refers to high school. Football is the most widely played contact sport in high schools in the United States, so it would stand to reason that the incident rate is higher. I'd imagine that the data would look different if it were a European country or Canada. You'd see hockey and soccer at much higher rates. 

Pay attention, it's not totals,  it's per 100000 games/exposures.

Just now, renoskier said:

Pay attention, it's not totals,  it's per 100000 games/exposures.

I didn't talk about totals... I talked about incident rate, which is what your data is. However, that data can't tell the whole story around the world. The sample size of data to draw from is significantly higher for football than that it is for soccer and hockey here in the United States.