retrofade

How many of you are like me?

2 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

In reading this thread I've realized there are a lot of things I like about a lot of people in this forum.

I wish I was as comfortable sharing some of my own story as are some of you, but tend to reserve such conversations for when I'm face to face.

It's nice to read all your stories and journeys though, and I honestly wish each and every one of you continued success in your respective paths. Some of your stories are inspiring.

We all have skeletons- I haven't shared mine nor do I intend too- but we are who we are. 

And you being a loyal poster on this site says loads about you. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Great thread OP. 

I graduated high school with 3.8 ( out of 4.0 back in those days) went one year to Oklahoma State on a Presidential Scholarship, tried to walk on to the baseball team. Didn't make the team, didn't really want to go to school so I packed up and moved to California. 

Wanted to see something different than where I grew up. Had to work obviously, I found I was good at whatever I applied myself to- growing up on a farm will teach you great work ethics. 

I have an AA and a certificate in Communications- worked in broadcasting for awhile. But , I've learned more in life from working than I could have by spending X amount of years in college pursuing a BA and a Masters in a certain field. 

I like to say I've got a Doctorate in GSD( getting shit done). 

Dont get me wrong , a college education can be extremely beneficial for opening doors.

Ive had to work hard and rely on my results to get me where I'm at today. And truth be told I'm thinking about going back to finish my degree.

Its a thing I want to do - not something I have to do. Might be weird ( at age 50) for some to see their 'dad' in class but I know it would be a great experience for all involved.

My uncle got got his masters two years ago at age 56 in psychology.  He graduated with his BA at age 22, never found work in and was a mechanic until age 53 when he went back to school, sick of working for ass holes 20 years younger than him for 14 an hour.  Now he works rehabilitating gang members in Ontario Oregon.  He said the kids really loved him in his classes.  He is pretty grizzled, has a sick sense of humor and goes to a biker church.  Even went to a party on campus once.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

In reading this thread I've realized there are a lot of things I like about a lot of people in this forum.

I wish I was as comfortable sharing some of my own story as are some of you, but tend to reserve such conversations for when I'm face to face.

It's nice to read all your stories and journeys though, and I honestly wish each and every one of you continued success in your respective paths. Some of your stories are inspiring.

The next time I find myself in beautiful San Diego, we'll have to find a whiskey/cigar bar --- if such things even exist in California. :P 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Great thread OP. 

I graduated high school with 3.8 ( out of 4.0 back in those days) went one year to Oklahoma State on a Presidential Scholarship, tried to walk on to the baseball team. Didn't make the team, didn't really want to go to school so I packed up and moved to California. 

Wanted to see something different than where I grew up. Had to work obviously, I found I was good at whatever I applied myself to- growing up on a farm will teach you great work ethics. 

I have an AA and a certificate in Communications- worked in broadcasting for awhile. But , I've learned more in life from working than I could have by spending X amount of years in college pursuing a BA and a Masters in a certain field. 

Dont get me wrong , a college education can be extremely beneficial for opening doors.

Ive had to work hard and rely on my results to get me where I'm at today. And truth be told I'm thinking about going back to finish my degree.

Its a thing I want to do - not something I have to do. Might be weird ( at age 50) for some to see their 'dad' in class but I know it would be a great experience for all involved.

I'd feel really weird going to an actual class at this stage in my life, and I'm 34. I'm sticking to online as much as I can, though the Masters Program that I want to get into requires a one-week residency in between the first and second years. 

I don't necessarily regret the decisions that I've made... I've gotten a long way in my career and been far more successful than my siblings who have college degrees, or a lot of my friends who went to school directly out of high school, or who have even gone back and completed their degrees before me. I'm proud of my career and what I've accomplished, I've just realized that I can't get much further without the degree, and it's going to open up a lot of different doors to me, regardless of the path that I choose to take from here. 

Best of luck to you if you do choose to go back to go to school to finish your degree. :)

4 hours ago, retrofade said:

The next time I find myself in beautiful San Diego, we'll have to find a whiskey/cigar bar --- if such things even exist in California. :P 

I would be disappointed if you didn't let me know if/when you'll be in town. And yes, such things exist here. :cheers:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

15 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Great thread OP. 

So how did you become a Wolf Pack fan?

I'm kind of the opposite of you, in many ways.  I was probably upper lower class / lower middle class growing up.  Both my mom and dad had to work, my mom waiting tables at a local cafe.  I was fortunate to have a sister that was 10yrs older than me that took great care of me and my little sister while my mom was working,  My parents were good parents, spent as much time with us as they could.  They encouraged us in our educations and religious development, sending all of us to parochial school.  I was in scouts, played in the band, played almost all high school sports.  I was the first one in my family to go to college.  Due to financial limitations I had to be very serious in college and graduate in 4yrs, which I did.  I was fortunate to get a job with a national cpa firm right out of school and now own my own firm (purchased the office from the national firm 16yrs ago) and I'm planning to retire in 5yrs.  I've worked my ass off my entire life, working construction through college and 2,800+ hrs per year for the last 36 yrs.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

I was accepted to WGU today, I just have to complete my intake interview this afternoon.

I'll be getting a B.S. Data Management and Analytics.

I just completed my intake exam, and am now scheduled to start on July 1st. If things go according to plan, and I'm able to complete things as quickly as I intend, I should be looking at completing it all by next June, and then on to post-grad. I'm pretty damn excited about this... I went from feeling like I was going to be in undergrad hell forever, so now seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and an opportunity to complete my education at a far more accelerated schedule. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

I was accepted to WGU today, I just have to complete my intake interview this afternoon.

I just completed my intake exam, and am now scheduled to start on July 1st. If things go according to plan, and I'm able to complete things as quickly as I intend, I should be looking at completing it all by next June, and then on to post-grad. I'm pretty damn excited about this... I went from feeling like I was going to be in undergrad hell forever, so now seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and an opportunity to complete my education at a far more accelerated schedule. 

Congratulations!

9 hours ago, retrofade said:

Meanwhile, my wife will find out on Tuesday or Wednesday whether or not she's been accepted by Johns Hopkins for grad school in Health Informatics... they liked her so much already that if she's accepted, they're waiving the GRE requirement. Haha. I definitely married up. 

• Like 1

Not so humblebrag time...

My first term (terms last six months) started on July 1st. I transferred in 24 credits, and I've completed an additional 18 in the last five weeks. Five classes down, with a shitton left to go, but I'm making really good progress so far. Competency based education is really the way to go for someone like me, and for people that are working adults with life/job experience that can help them pass classes at an accelerated pace due to the knowledge that they've acquired in their careers. 

I've been focusing on getting GenEd classes out of the way, and after tonight (or tomorrow), I should be done with the majority of them that I had left. Now that I'm typing all of this out, I may actually start a blog of something to keep track of my progress, so I don't end up vomiting it all over here. :rotflmfao:

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled shitposting. 

I came from a very dysfunctional family and grew up dirt poor in rural Idaho. I dropped out of high school my Senior year. I eventually got my GED and started college at college of Southern Idaho and transferred to Idaho State University where I dropped out a few credits short of getting my BA in History. I worked a mindless job at a call center that paid OK until I got tired of just getting by,  and said F**K it i am going to get my degree in an in Accounting because I wanted a better job. I enrolled at CWI in Nampa Idaho and got my AA in General Business. In 2014 I graduated with by BBA in Accountancy from BSU. Last fall I successfully passed the CPA exam on the first attempt. I will be starting my fourth tax season in January.

Congratulations on taking steps towards completing your education. Best of luck to you. I hope your journey is as rewarding as mine was after I made the decision to complete my degree. 

• Like 1