Aztecjeff

SDSU ATHLETICS AND FOX SPORTS PARTNER ON MULTIMEDIA RIGHTS AGREEMENT

15 hours ago, hawkeyelobo said:

It would be hilarious if they did. That was the dumbest idea then...even dumber now. Uconn and San Diego st in the same conference. If both parties want it, go for it. 

Number of UNM victories in bowl games not played on their home field: absolute zero

Chances of UNM ever being offered a promotion out of the Molehill West: about the same

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 2/3/2017 at 5:06 PM, 1066 said:

As AztecMD wrote earlier nothing of substance will happen until we get the new 40K stadium built. That must be priority #1. If we go independent it will be more difficult than some imagine at first however 5 games with the Pac12 and 5 games with the MWC as well as 2 games with eastern conferences will suffice. However the question is can we get those games? BYU has had some difficulty in scheduling after going independent. Of course anyone and everyone would prefer to come to San Diego over Utah except perhaps LDS members. However if  I remember correctly there are a good number of LDS members in San Diego and north up to Orange County. I expect many of them might attend. Certainly they would attend vs. BYU. The recruiting is a draw for most teams as well. The other option is a football only membership in the AAC or preferably the emergence of a BOR conference.

I have come to appreciate the other members of the MWC since joining this board 3 years ago. However my loyalty remains to my school and to the city I lived in from age 7 to age 24. That was of course 40 years ago and I have been waiting patiently for something good to happen to Aztec sports ever since. Perhaps we are on the cusp. I hope so but we need something more than an announcement from Fox sports. Unfortunately the California state university does not show much in the way of forethought and adopting a plan of progress. Especially where sports are concerned. 

I'd be surprised if SDSU, Hawaii, and Boise State are not exploring going indy, or joining the AAC FB only.  But it might be tough to finally make the move.

As far as the bold stuff above, I hate to break it to you, but P5 teams outside of the Pac 12 don't like playing on the road very much.  They like getting more than 1,000 miles away from home even less.  3 games with the Pac 12, and 2 other P5's might be as good as it gets on average.  If Boise, BYU, and Hawaii were all indy, the SoS would be fine though.

Boise State, SDSU, and Hawaii going indy might get other schools to explore the option as well.  That would cause chaos out west.

34 minutes ago, hawkeyelobo said:

Number of  football stadiums: UNM: 1 SDSU: 0

Chances of New Mexico ever being offered a promotion out of the MWC: 20% 

Chances of SDSU having a football program after 2018: 50%

Chances of SDSU ever getting a P5 offer: Absolutely zero

If SDSU went indy, grew the program a little, and got a new stadium, they would be a very high profile candidate next shuffling.  

If there is consolidation, it probably won't help, but if there is expansion they could position themselves much better.  Crazy stuff could happen closer to the next TV rights deals.  SDSU would be smart to do everything they can to increase their profile before then.

Guest Dr. Dre
8 hours ago, GoCoAztec said:

SDSU will NOT go indy unless the MWC implodes and we have no other choice.  We will be a MWC member until we get a P5 invite (longshot) or a BOR conference is formed (another longshot).  So...

GO AZTECS -- THREE-PEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

That's just it. We DO have a choice. Stop giving Money to this turd ok a conference 

On 2/3/2017 at 7:27 PM, hawkeyelobo said:

If you go Indy you'll finally get your wish and never have to play Wyoming/CSU/AF/UNM in any sport ever again, so that will be good for you guys! And you will be able to schedule your buddies at BYU again! Win win for SDSU!

Easy tiger... You might want to pump those brakes, considering you beat us in hoops for the first time in six tries and in our house for the first time in five years. :rolleyes: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf? Not a f*cking soul, that's who.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 2/5/2017 at 7:57 PM, GoCoAztec said:

SDSU will NOT go indy unless the MWC implodes and we have no other choice.  We will be a MWC member until we get a P5 invite (longshot) or a BOR conference is formed (another longshot).  So...

GO AZTECS -- THREE-PEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Stick to AztecMesa will ya?

Boom goes the dynamite.

I definitely see a P5 offer from the PAC in the near future for SDSU. You guys have now become the largest local draw to football for fans in the 5th largest county by population in the country. Not to mention you guys consistently put together a good team as well. You're ripe for picking from a more prestigious conference. 

On February 5, 2017 at 5:38 PM, hawkeyelobo said:

I don't think SDSU gets in a P5 any time soon, but I'm curious as to what you believe the P5 would be interested in w/ UNM?

Location? No

Recruiting? Hell no

On field success? Outside of some bball success and women's cross country, no.

Eyeballs? No

Academics? Decent, but not enough to carry the rest

So explain to me how UNM is more appealing than a school of 35k students, in Americas 7th largest city, just lost biggest competition (NFL), rising academics, 83k applicants a year, prime recruiting location, big tourist spot and top tier in MWC in FB, BBall, baseball and women's sports.

Nice to see you're exciting about a hope of us not having a place to play football, but whenever the 30k stadium is built, it will be one of the 2 or 3 nicest stadiums in the MWC and we'll sell it out every game, something UNM will never say.

30 minutes ago, BackthePack said:

Curious as to why not? Academic research requirements?

If we ever have a shot, I believe it's the Big12. Pac12 thinks they already own SoCal and wouldn't gain much by adding the last county. I think we'd be a great add and would eventually be able to compete, but schools like Wazzu/Colorado/Oregon St wouldn't vote us in.

1 hour ago, BackthePack said:

Curious as to why not? Academic research requirements?

1 hour ago, badfish said:

If we ever have a shot, I believe it's the Big12. Pac12 thinks they already own SoCal and wouldn't gain much by adding the last county. I think we'd be a great add and would eventually be able to compete, but schools like Wazzu/Colorado/Oregon St wouldn't vote us in.

And add that UCLA and Cal would also say no, as they do view the Pac as an academic first type of conference, and we are a part of the Cal State.  Plus they already recruit our area, and they would just figure it is slicing the pie more than delivering more pie.

Like badfish says, Big 12 appears to be more likely, and that conference is the most ripe for implosion.  I don't see us going up, and it isn't because we couldn't be competitive.  Bad geography, academically bad stigma (in err, imo), and poor front office decision-making over the years are what hurts SDSU.

46 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

And add that UCLA and Cal would also say no, as they do view the Pac as an academic first type of conference, and we are a part of the Cal State.  Plus they already recruit our area, and they would just figure it is slicing the pie more than delivering more pie.

Like badfish says, Big 12 appears to be more likely, and that conference is the most ripe for implosion.  I don't see us going up, and it isn't because we couldn't be competitive.  Bad geography, academically bad stigma (in err, imo), and poor front office decision-making over the years are what hurts SDSU.

In recruiting the slicing the pie analogy works...but not for TV. Outside of a few games the PAC doesn't fair too well in SD anymore. 

On 2/5/2017 at 8:38 PM, hawkeyelobo said:

Hahahah. Moron

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, badfish said:

I agree with this. 

First, PAC12 does not want to expand.  There are some that are still upset that they added the Arizonas, let alone Colorado and Utah.  They love the PAC8.   And PAC12 already has 4 elite California schools.  None of the Californias wants to dilute what they control.  They don't care about the San Diego market.  They already get TV exposure there....PAC12 Network is there.

Second, if the PAC12 ever expands, it will only be into Texas.  They only expand if they need or want the Texas market.  The Pacific time zone hurts their national exposure.  They'd probably add Texas and TCU/Oklahoma if those schools expressed interest.  Those schools wouldn't hurt recruiting and have great or solid academic reputations and markets.

SDSU's only hope is the BIG12.  It's too bad that the current BIG12 added West Virginia (means expansion will probably turn East) and is run by idiots.

Looks like SDSU is going to be in the MWC for a long time.  I don't think they have the stones to go Indy like BYU.  Though, they could easily pull Indy off.  Maybe easier than BYU.

Guest #1Stunner
51 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

In recruiting the slicing the pie analogy works...but not for TV. Outside of a few games the PAC doesn't fair too well in SD anymore. 

Only thing the PAC12 cares about is if local cable in SD pays carriage fees for the PAC12 Network, and if they can get first pick of the best players out of San Diego.

Check and Check.

16 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Only thing the PAC12 cares about is if local cable in SD pays carriage fees for the PAC12 Network, and if they can get first pick of the best players out of San Diego.

Check and Check.

SD pays carriage fees for PAC12 network? Oh you mean the $.20 for out of market subscribers who have PAC12 in the basic tier?

If SDSU was added that carriage fee amount would bounce to $.80 per sub. So we are worth at a minimum, 4 times as much as a PAC member. 

Guest #1Stunner
41 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

SD pays carriage fees for PAC12 network? Oh you mean the $.20 for out of market subscribers who have PAC12 in the basic tier?

If SDSU was added that carriage fee amount would bounce to $.80 per sub. So we are worth at a minimum, 4 times as much as a PAC member. 

There is just way too much against the PAC12 ever inviting SDSU, as I stated to a different poster above.

If SDSU was on the east coast somewhere, I think you'd already be a P5 conference.  But you arent.  You are sort of screwed because the PAC12 is the only P5 conference out west.  Not really fair...

I do think SDSU could easily pull off Indy and would have an easier time with scheduling than BYU.  Indy isn't as good as P5, obviously.  And, I don't think your Admin dares to go Indy.  So I think SDSU will probably be in the MWC for a long time.