Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

OT: North Dakota Leaving the Big Sky - Joining NDSU in the Big TIme Missouri Valley

8 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

A fluky year.   OTOH just one year ago the Big West had more top-100 teams than the MWC and earned more tourney credits.  It happens :shrug:

The Big Sky is always poor.  NMSU would suffer if they joined. Even more travel than what they currently do in the WAC, with any credits split a dozen ways instead of eight or nine.  

nmsu needs to join the southland conference, that would the best fit for them.

I say NMSU should stay in the WAC and play FBS independence until a spot into the MW opens up or a full time membership to the Sun Belt opens up. Otherwise we are still doing good regardless of conference Affilation. Many of you (including myself) assumed since we where left behind in the WAC we would begin to fall apart Athelticly and competitively. However, In my opinion we have really done well. In football we are very much improved and hopefully we continue that trend. As for in basketball we really didn't fall behind like we assumed we would. In fact I say we can take any MW school right now and win.Also IMO the WAC really helps NMSU in a recruiting standpoint and eyeballs(more fans). The WAC currently has many destination city's such as Phoenix, Seattle, Kansas City, Chicago and starting next year LA. That's pretty exciting in my opinion. Also there has been speculation that another school will be added. Only time will tell but according to many people it maybe UCSD if the Big West doesn't invite them. That would add another destination city for the Aggies to play in. It puts our foot inside the door in a way. 

"Guns Up, Now Tear'em Up!"We Are New Mexico State University! #PROTECTTHEVALLEY

14 hours ago, NewMexicoSt. said:

I say NMSU should stay in the WAC and play FBS independence until a spot into the MW opens up or a full time membership to the Sun Belt opens up. Otherwise we are still doing good regardless of conference Affilation. Many of you (including myself) assumed since we where left behind in the WAC we would begin to fall apart Athelticly and competitively. However, In my opinion we have really done well. In football we are very much improved and hopefully we continue that trend. As for in basketball we really didn't fall behind like we assumed we would. In fact I say we can take any MW school right now and win.Also IMO the WAC really helps NMSU in a recruiting standpoint and eyeballs(more fans). The WAC currently has many destination city's such as Phoenix, Seattle, Kansas City, Chicago and starting next year LA. That's pretty exciting in my opinion. Also there has been speculation that another school will be added. Only time will tell but according to many people it maybe UCSD if the Big West doesn't invite them. That would add another destination city for the Aggies to play in. It puts our foot inside the door in a way. 

It's now 2017. Between five and eight years from now the MWC will need to backfill to replace SDSU and 3-5 other current football playing members. Therefore, if you guys can hang on to FBS football status until then, you should be fine provided that UNM doesn't scuttle your application with its front ranger brothers not named Colorado State (which will likely be invited to a realigned B12).

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 1/29/2017 at 0:03 PM, Dr. Dre said:

You have it backwards. This is a TYPICAL BW year. Last year was the fluke. In other news, have you grown past 5'3" yet?

On 1/29/2017 at 0:20 PM, Dr. Dre said:

I'll take that as a "No". Must be tough at concerts- unless your friend's date can lift you up on her shoulders.

On 1/29/2017 at 0:44 PM, Dr. Dre said:

Now this I can believe, unless someone mistakes you for a table and sets his beer in your head- or balls on your chin

On 1/29/2017 at 0:59 PM, Dr. Dre said:

5'3" and shaped like a potato. Those types don't get women. A goat is probably the best you've ever done. 

On a serious note, although you're not a complete simpleton, you may be the most pathetic poster here (and AztecMesa).

trying to prop up the Big West and UCSuckBalls?

HELLO Mr. Lonely guy!

rotfl.gif

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

On 1/29/2017 at 5:24 PM, jdgaucho said:

That's just by current members.  The BW has more when you include the bids earned by its former members - NMSU among them.

What difference does it make what former BW members did? 

if NMSU is going to stay FBS football it may be time to take the 'SWAC route' and start playing buy games for big paydays...see what Arizona or Arizona State want to pay you for a few one off games.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

20 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

It's now 2017. Between five and eight years from now the MWC will need to backfill to replace SDSU and 3-5 other current football playing members. Therefore, if you guys can hang on to FBS football status until then, you should be fine provided that UNM doesn't scuttle your application with its front ranger brothers not named Colorado State (which will likely be invited to a realigned B12).

Or and this is a big IF. What if we continue to win in Basketball, finally get over the hump and win a tourney game (in years past we've been close it should be our time now), finally win more games in football like we should have last year and the Sun Belt comes callin with a full membership invite and we take UTEP with us since they may seem unhappy in there current situation. 

Sun Belt West 

Ark St

ULL

ULM

NMST

UTEP

Texas St

Sun Belt East 

Appy St 

Coastal Carolina 

Georgia Southern 

Georgia State 

Troy

South Alabama 

We don't pay an exit fee to join since we leave WAC with tourney Creds and we have a decent little football, basketball and even better baseball conference. We do a better job recruiting in the south than we do in the west coast anyways. Also I feel like the Sun Belt should be our number 1 conference since we helped establish that conference and we seem to get along with them more. Only makes sense when NMSU would have one of the largest Atheltics budgets in that conference. But that's just my own opinion. Who knows what will really happen. If the MW does come calling I hope we go else where. I know it doesn't matter what I think but when those same schools left you to rot it doesn't seem like a good idea to re join them. Who's to say they won't do it again. I'd rather go to the sun belt. Besides that conference seems to be trending upwards while CUSA/MW are trending downwards. Nothing ever stays the same in college sports and i freaking love it. Now id wish the SEC would rot 

3 minutes ago, NewMexicoSt. said:

Or and this is a big IF. What if we continue to win in Basketball, finally get over the hump and win a tourney game (in years past we've been close it should be our time now), finally win more games in football like we should have last year and the Sun Belt comes callin with a full membership invite and we take UTEP with us since they may seem unhappy in there current situation. 

Sun Belt West 

Ark St

ULL

ULM

NMST

UTEP

Texas St

Sun Belt East 

Appy St 

Coastal Carolina 

Georgia Southern 

Georgia State 

Troy

South Alabama 

We don't pay an exit fee to join since we leave WAC with tourney Creds and we have a decent little football, basketball and even better baseball conference. We do a better job recruiting in the south than we do in the west coast anyways. Also I feel like the Sun Belt should be our number 1 conference since we helped establish that conference and we seem to get along with them more. Only makes sense when NMSU would have one of the largest Atheltics budgets in that conference. But that's just my own opinion. Who knows what will really happen. If the MW does come calling I hope we go else where. I know it doesn't matter what I think but when those same schools left you to rot it doesn't seem like a good idea to re join them. Who's to say they won't do it again. I'd rather go to the sun belt. Besides that conference seems to be trending upwards while CUSA/MW are trending downwards. Nothing ever stays the same in college sports and i freaking love it. Now id wish the SEC would rot 

it's not basketball that's holding you guys back. NMSU needs 1-2 breakout football seasons featuring bowl appearances (bowls are like an infomercial for your team)  

this is an OK time to not have a football conference home because with this many bowls getting to 6-7 wins WILL get you a bowl...that has not always been so.

go make a couple bowl games and suddenly NMSU will be attractive.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

if NMSU is going to stay FBS football it may be time to take the 'SWAC route' and start playing buy games for big paydays...see what Arizona or Arizona State want to pay you for a few one off games.

In interviews last year seems like NMSUs coach Doug Martin wants to take the "ECU route" as an FBS independence. He was at ECU while they were independent before joining CUSA I believe. Coach Martin said 3 money games 1 to finance the Athelics department, 1 to finance the football program, and 1 to invest more into the football program. He also went on to say he would use the MBB program to help schedule home and homes. Btw next year we open up @ASU should be fun since we whipped them in basketball this past year and the last time we played in football was in AZ we beat them 35-7. 

2 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

it's not basketball that's holding you guys back. NMSU needs 1-2 breakout football seasons featuring bowl appearances (bowls are like an infomercial for your team)  

this is an OK time to not have a football conference home because with this many bowls getting to 6-7 wins WILL get you a bowl...that has not always been so.

go make a couple bowl games and suddenly NMSU will be attractive.

NMSU is an Unique position. We already have two built in games in UTEP and UNM. We also have a bowl tie in regardless of conference Affilation. If NMSU is 6-6 we are getting that New Mexico bowl invite no, ifs or buts. 

2 minutes ago, NewMexicoSt. said:

In interviews last year seems like NMSUs coach Doug Martin wants to take the "ECU route" as an FBS independence. He was at ECU while they were independent before joining CUSA I believe. Coach Martin said 3 money games 1 to finance the Athelics department, 1 to finance the football program, and 1 to invest more into the football program. He also went on to say he would use the MBB program to help schedule home and homes. Btw next year we open up @ASU should be fun since we whipped them in basketball this past year and the last time we played in football was in AZ we beat them 35-7. 

THIS...

you think Ole Miss wants to play Memphis football home-home? nope, but we offered them a home-home basketball contract contingent on a football contract.

that's how we rope in Ole Miss to a football/basketball home-home series.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, NewMexicoSt. said:

NMSU is an Unique position. We already have two built in games in UTEP and UNM. We also have a bowl tie in regardless of conference Affilation. If NMSU is 6-6 we are getting that New Mexico bowl invite no, ifs or buts. 

You're also in a unique geographic position where multiple conferences could call you spanning from the west coast to the bible belt to the Missouri Valley and all points in-between. 

if UTEP can make CUSA work for all sports, I'd like to think there's someway to make the Fun Belt work for NMSU all-sports.

I mean, if you added NMSU hoops to the Sun Belt...you have a peppy little hoops conference (way more competitive than the WAC)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

13 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

THIS...

you think Ole Miss wants to play Memphis football home-home? nope, but we offered them a home-home basketball contract contingent on a football contract.

that's how we rope in Ole Miss to a football/basketball home-home series.

Very interesting. Gives me hope for NMSU. Also I think they're other Independent programs out there that would be willing to schedule. BYU, UMASS come to mind. 

9 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

What difference does it make what former BW members did? 

It tells the whole picture.  When someone says, "the Big Sky has almost double the all-time bids the BW does"  that's false.  The BW has nine more bids than the Sky.  

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-west/ncaa.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-sky/ncaa.html

3 minutes ago, NewMexicoSt. said:

Very interesting. Gives me hope for NMSU. Also I think they're other Independent programs out there that would be willing to schedule. BYU, UMASS come to mind. 

NMSU has enough basketball credibility to pull this off.  A BYU-NMSU series in football and basketball would benefit both schools.

Just now, UofMTigers said:

if UTEP can make CUSA for for all sports, I'd like to think there's someway to make the Fun Belt work for NMSU all-sports.

I mean, if you added NMSU hoops to the Sun Belt...you have a peppy little hoops conference (way more competitive than the WAC)

I agree. Our basketball would benefit them greatly. Also, our football played really competitively agaisnt their programs with the exception of Appy State. We have a winning record agaisnt Louisana and Texas St. We'd have a really scary good baseball conference. Coastal just won a natty and ULL and Troy etc are very good and ranked usually. I also might add NMSU has had an uprising in baseball recently with a new field and fan interest. We have had some of the highest recruiting classes in school history recently. I'm looking very forward for baseball aswell.

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

NMSU has enough basketball credibility to pull this off.  A BYU-NMSU series in football and basketball would benefit both schools.

Would be really fun to see. I know they came for football one year. They have a surprisingly large following here in New Mexico.